“Hotel with a B&B feel”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I had an enjoyable stay at The Benjamin and this is why:

Staff: they were very attentive. The front desk staff provided good information in restaurants and were always smiling when I entered. The wait staff was quite accommodating during breakfast readily available to take your order and always friendly.
Location: quite close/short drive to the beach. On Florida Rd where there are a host of restaurants and bars that you can walk to.
Rooms: I had a lovely room on the second floor with a view of the courtyard. It was well equipped; although, you must request an iron/ironing board from the front desk. It wasn't the most modern room but it was very clean and well taken care of. The only thing that could have been improved was the lighting in the room. I always felt that it was not bright enough.
Food: breakfast was included in the pricing and it was awesome! There was a lovely spread of pastries, fruit, nuts, cereal and cold cuts. I filled up the first morning not realizing that I was able to order hot made-to-order breakfast as well! I tried it the next morning..and every morning thereafter and it was always hot and delicious.
Pricing: It was so reasonable. I guess coming from NY where hotels are so expensive, I found this hotel to be a steal!

I always like to try new hotels when I revisit cities; however, my experience was so great that I must return!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JAYEYEDEE
Nicole M, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Jayeyedee

Thank you for doing a review for us and all the lovely compliments, it really means alot to us to receive such great feedback. I have noted the comment on the lighting in the rooms and we will now only use a brighter bulb. Thank you, it is comments like yours that help us improve all the time.

Many Thanks
Nicole

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My name is Sanjay Roy and i am writing this review almost after a year and half and i might be considered crazy for that reason. I was there in September, 2011. This hotel is located in Florida street, the main happening street in Durban with large number of pubs and resto-bars. Havana lounge is one crazy of a place and a must visit. The beach front is not far from The Benjamin. I will always prefer to stay The Benjamin whenever i am in Durban next time with my family.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Sanjay

Thank you so much all the lovely comments. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Nicole

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for a night as we went to watch a Durban sharks rugby match . Lovely staff, always helpful , especially as we are from the UK and had never visited Durban before. Organised taxis for us and told us where the best tourist sights were.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Not travelling as much for business as I once did, it has been about 4 years since I last stayed here and a lot can change in that space of time. I was pleasantly surprised to experience the same top service, friendly staff. The location is excellent with a number of good restaurants and bars located within a few minutes walk. Breakfast was good as always and would without hesitation recommend a visit to this fine establishment.

Room Tip: The inside courtyard rooms are less susceptible to outside traffic and noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JohannesburgBretski
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Excellent value for money!
Friendly staff, nice rooms, good breakfast and safe as they come.
Serves as a peaceful retreat away from the buzzling Florida Street night life...but if you want some fun, it's right outside the door!
Business or leisure, this is the one to stay at!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I spent two nights at the Benjamin in a comfortable room that felt more like a friend's home than a hotel. The neighborhood is great and I had some good meals nearby. My only complaint is the sub-par coffee at breakfast (not atypical for South African hotels), but thankfully there are plenty of cafes in the vicinity.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Stayed for 2 nights great service nice to see the manager interacting with guests.
Even packed a lunch for us!
Location great with so many restaurants to choose from in Florida Rd.
Would recommend to all.