“Best Hotel in Durban”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I regularly stay over at this Hotel - The staff are great and I consider it home away from Home - Consistency throughout in all aspects on each return.Breakfast is awesome and the service & quality always tops

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Nicole M, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Thank you so much we really appreciate your comments and love having you stay with us.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

A great hotel located on a busy street with restaurants and bars. We were able to walk to an Indian restaurant just down the road and have a drink right outside the hotel. The staff were also fantastic when I left a jacket in the hotel and with no hope of us ever returning to pick it up they agreed to post it on to us. Thank you Michelle!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nicole M, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. There is nothing worse than loosing your favourite clothes and it is a pleasure to be able to help you get it back.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The benjamin is a fine hotel, with a great breakfast, excellent service - they really go the extra mile when you need a favour - and fantastic location. The rooms are also good, even though the decoration and the predominance of Kenny G in the ambience music might feel questionable to some.
What i don't get is their obsession to call themselves a boutique hotel, when the hotel isn't small, nor vintage, nor quaint. They're absolutely fine being a city hotel, and you will have a perfectly ok experience staying at the Benjamin, but if you expect something boutique, well, this is not it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eduardo A
Nicole M, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback, and we have noted your comments.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed at the Benjamin at the end of June 2013. Wanted to stay again in July but it was booked solid for the Durban July horse races. Clean, friendly staff, secure parking and a great selection of restaurants within a block or two.

One weird experience -- sitting in the front lounge, about to go out, when a blond, middle-aged woman came in from the street and tried to sell us TASERs for our safety!? I think the hotel front desk person was busy and didn't see "the TASER lady" enter and make her pitch. I don't think the hotel would encourage such a thing.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing Florida Road might be noisy at night, esp on weekends.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Nicole M, Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Melissa

Thank you for reviewing us , we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am so sorry about the lady selling"Tasers", we certainly do not allow this and apologise that you had to endour this.

Hope to see you again when next in Durban

Regards Nicole

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I had an enjoyable stay at The Benjamin and this is why:

Staff: they were very attentive. The front desk staff provided good information in restaurants and were always smiling when I entered. The wait staff was quite accommodating during breakfast readily available to take your order and always friendly.
Location: quite close/short drive to the beach. On Florida Rd where there are a host of restaurants and bars that you can walk to.
Rooms: I had a lovely room on the second floor with a view of the courtyard. It was well equipped; although, you must request an iron/ironing board from the front desk. It wasn't the most modern room but it was very clean and well taken care of. The only thing that could have been improved was the lighting in the room. I always felt that it was not bright enough.
Food: breakfast was included in the pricing and it was awesome! There was a lovely spread of pastries, fruit, nuts, cereal and cold cuts. I filled up the first morning not realizing that I was able to order hot made-to-order breakfast as well! I tried it the next morning..and every morning thereafter and it was always hot and delicious.
Pricing: It was so reasonable. I guess coming from NY where hotels are so expensive, I found this hotel to be a steal!

I always like to try new hotels when I revisit cities; however, my experience was so great that I must return!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JAYEYEDEE
Nicole M, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Jayeyedee

Thank you for doing a review for us and all the lovely compliments, it really means alot to us to receive such great feedback. I have noted the comment on the lighting in the rooms and we will now only use a brighter bulb. Thank you, it is comments like yours that help us improve all the time.

Many Thanks
Nicole

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My name is Sanjay Roy and i am writing this review almost after a year and half and i might be considered crazy for that reason. I was there in September, 2011. This hotel is located in Florida street, the main happening street in Durban with large number of pubs and resto-bars. Havana lounge is one crazy of a place and a must visit. The beach front is not far from The Benjamin. I will always prefer to stay The Benjamin whenever i am in Durban next time with my family.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Sanjay

Thank you so much all the lovely comments. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Nicole

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for a night as we went to watch a Durban sharks rugby match . Lovely staff, always helpful , especially as we are from the UK and had never visited Durban before. Organised taxis for us and told us where the best tourist sights were.

• Stayed: March 2013