“Steak, steak and more mouthwatering steaks!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joops Place

Joops Place
Ranked #14 of 589 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Scottburgh, South Africa
“Steak, steak and more mouthwatering steaks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I'm not a big steak eater in restaurants as I do believe I can cook steak as well if not better in my own kitchen. This theory does not apply to Joop's! Everytime I come here I spend the day in anticipation of "that taste" that Joop seems to get into every steak he creates! I find the Hollandse Biefstuk absolutely mouthwatering. Its totally unique and the Garlic Biefstuk is even better.

My dinner companions had the pepper steak and raved (as they usually do)

The decor is decidedly unassuming in that it could be any nice clean restaurant anywhere. The tables are comfortable and not packed in as most busy restaurants do. All in all you would not expect to be served steaks of this calibre when walking through the door for the first time. The wine list is excellent with a wide variety to make most pallets happy!

Joop cooks all his steaks in an open kitchen that diners can observe. I've often watched him do my steak and cannot come close to replicating it!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Durban, South Africa
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We have been to Joops several times and the steaks are the best in Durban, however, on our recent visit I was terrible disappointed. The steak I order was cooked perfectly on the inside but unfortunately had a crisp burnt outside. I think possible from cooking on too high a heat. I hope this was a once off!

Visited April 2014
“Great food, great service, bit pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Food, atmosphere and experience was lovely. I enjoyed all of it, but felt that it might have been a bit pricey compared with other similar restaurants in the area.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Local Flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Jivika and Yachna are gracious welcomers who expertly navigate diners through a bountiful selection of S.A.'s most sumptuous menus.
Proprietor / chef Mark was formerly a butcher. Listing of pan-fried-steaks is fab. Had the house special and was exceptional. Must try local lamb 'saddle' (a.k.a. 'rack'). Flavor is off-the-chart good. Much better than ANY New Zealand or Australian cousin.
Mussel appetizer was rich and special.
Décor needs a make-over, but who cares.

Visited April 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“The best steaks in South Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

To put it simply, we came back from Europe for these steaks!!!!!!!
We discovered Joops Place in 2009, while we lived in SA, always had a fabulous experience, and now, while being back on a 3 month holiday, we had dinner there every time we travelled to Durban - and the amazing experience continues.........Superb food, fantastic quality, fabulous service - our taste buds will sorely miss you, guys..........

• Visited March 2014