“So smelly”

Ranked #31 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Durban
New Orleans, Louisiana
“So smelly”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Could be a great hostel, but my dorm room REEKED! I had a sweater that i left in the room for less than 24 hours that picked up an AWFUL odor. It was so bad I didn't even want to take it with me. Other than that the hostel is fun and the staff is friendly and helpful, but I decided not to return there because of the awful smell.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thanks for your review. It appears you liked us except for the smell. I am going to go through the rooms myself now to investigate as that is a new one on us. I will check it out and sort it out.. Please visit again if you are back in Durb's.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. I have never written a review good or bad so this is a first. I checked out approximately 30 mins after checking in. I arrived late to be greeted by a roudy drunken letchy red faced goggled eyed crowd on a Tuesday. I would say that 70% were male and a good deal of locals like to go there who are somewhat older but equally as smashed. The staff are completely clueless, the rooms smell of sweat and everything is grubby. I couldn't wait to leave but it took time making alternative arrangements at 11.30pm. It cost me to move but it was worth it. If you are 18ish and enjoy getting trollied then I would recommend it. If you are female and don't want to get jumped on as soon as you walk through the door then avoid. By the way every other backpackers I've stayed at along the Garden Route and Wild Coast have been great! Take care and travel safe.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jacqueline S
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thanks for your review. I have traced the night you stayed with us and spoke to all the managers/ staff involved. In general we run a fun festive place; not remotely what you have described. You did arrive on a braai night Tuesday and occasionally they get away from us slightly and if you are not into the jol it may not be so great. Sorry for the way it worked out. If you want to come back first night is on the house. Just drop us a line.

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

Durban

After we landed in Johannesburg we imidately drove to Durban which was a long drive but we only had good roads so that made it confortable.
We didn't actually know how to search for a place to sleep in Durban and our only criteria was that the hostel had to be in a safe neighborhood. I found tekweni hostel on the Internet and I booked it via the phone. I can say we were very happy with our stay! The dorms were ok and everything was clean. The hostel is in a safe neighborhood and you don't need a cab to go out, you can just walk even during the night!
The atmosphere in the lodge itself is very vibrant and the travel center in the lodge is great! After talking with the people here we changed our plans and in we did a whole other tour!

Our tour took us 15 days and we did
Storms river
Oudtshoorn
Stellebosh
Cape Town

We were very happy with our fantastic tour and the advice to go to chinstra and Jeffrey's bay we got in this lodge which we are very great full for!
This lodge is highly recommendable!
Btw to be honest Durban itself as a city was a little bit a disappointment.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Cape Town
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Tekweni is in a great location in Durban and has a very social vibe. They had a bring and braai one night and have a bar which is great if you're a solo traveller looking to meet others. The bed was a little uncomfortable but the atmosphere at the hostel more than makes up for it. The bathrooms were also very clean and the kitchen had everything you need. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Durban.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the great review! Incidentally we are currently renewing a lot of our beds. Hope to see you back soon.
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed here a few times in 2009 + in 2011, I love the place and the staff are great, lots to do around 'Thunder Road' had a few wild nights in and out! The kitchen is great and well equipted and the TV room is good for chilling and watching a bit of TV.

Room Tip: I loved the room upstairs with the double bed and the bunkbeds when i was with friends i went back w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Thanks for the fantastic review. We hope to see you back soon!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed for one night at Teks in a twin room. I loved the place, it has an awesome vibe, is in a safe part of Durban, walking distance from restaurants, bars and shops. The staff are very friendly. The night we were there, they had a free braai going with complimentary rolls and salads, you just brought your own meat. Really had a good time and will highly reccomend a stay here!! The only thing I didn't like was that the mattresses were extremely thin, but, worth it for a stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you back.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 September 2012

If party is your scene then you have found your place, but if you don't like to party then DO NOT stay here. When all the reviews say party they mean it. Despite reviews about it my friend and I decided to try staying here. It was pretty much like staying in a bar. The music went loud until about 2am despite signs all over the hostel saying quiet time begins at 11pm. I even hung out with some friends in Durban who are locals and they said they've been to a few parties at Tekweni before, so that says something. The facilities are clean, but I think overpriced for what you get. The location is convenient, but I would recommend some of the other convenient places.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Parkview Hotel
#3 of 77 in Durban
Ballito Backpackers
Ballito Backpackers
#13 of 16 in Ballito

Been to Tekweni Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!