“Great Place to Meet People”

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #35 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Place to Meet People”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Tekweni is a cool place to meet people. This place is very popular and packed during the three days I was there. The braai they organised three times a week (if I rem correctly) is awesome too. Free salad and bread rolls (BYO meat).

Kitchen is well equipped, but if you are like me, lazy or simply not in the mood to cook and make your own meals, no problem. Your solution is exactly 47 steps away from the main gate. They are a stone's throw away from many fantastic restaurants and cafes. No lack of choice.

Rooms and the beds are exactly what you pay for. No complaints. Good wifi strength at the bar area.

The lady at the travel desk is fantastic (I'm sorry I forgot your name)! Very helpful, patient and friendly. She organised a diving trip for me and helped me with a couple of other queries. The diving trip went smoothly, except that the transfer is really overpriced. Found out from other divers I could actually get a transfer to Aliwah Shoals Dive centre for 40% cheaper than what I paid. But I am still appreciative for all the assistance rendered.

All in all, I have enjoyed myself there!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thanks for the fantastic informative review. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the diving tips also. Hope to see you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 March 2014

One of the best hostels I visited. I was here for a weekend with friends and it's so convenient that the supermarket is just a walk away and that you can find a lot of restaurants and bars around the corner. Nice atmosphere with visitors from all over the world, who are all open for a conversation and a drink. If you can party you can join them the whole night a go to bed late. If you want to go bed early, that's also possible. I slept in a dorm room and they are basic but fine. The beds are fine and the rooms/the hostel is clean. Nice music in the evenings. I love this place!
Only remark is that I found it strange that they added 5% to the amount I had to pay for the room because I paid with a foreign debit card. In all other restaurants, bars, supermarkets, hotels in South Africa I should just pay the normal amount without an addition because I used a foreign debit card.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thanks for the very kind words. I see you did ask for our quieter dorms and could choose whether to have a festive night or a quiet night. Mission accomplished. Fantastic! Hope to see you back again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Really fun place, met some cool people, but the rooms ( at least the one I was in) was small and cramped. It is reasonably priced for a hostel and as long as you don't expect to get too much sleep at night, you're going to have an awesome time! The staff are helpful and friendly, and they know a shot or few :p

• Stayed February 2014
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thanks for the review. Looks like you forgot to ask for the quieter more out of the way rooms. Also looks like you weren't too bothered and enjoyed your stay. Good stuff!
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Tekweni is definitely one of my top 3 backpackers I visited in South Africa. Everybody is just chilled out, likes to have a little party and enjoys meeting other people. They offer a braai a few times a week (own meat, they have rolls and salad for free!). The rooms are comfortable (dorm) and clean, the location seems quiet and yeah.. They offer free WIFI and have a nice pool / -table. Definitely a nice place to stay if you are in Durban.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Fantastic. Stoked! What more can we say? Oh yeah. Thank you.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Reviews here seem to swing the pendulum: either you’re a partier (great place) or you’re not (give it a swerve). I’m an "inbetweener" (of life more like, not same vein as the TV show/movie) … and … I really enjoyed my stay! I kind of think Tekweni is in need, and deserves, a shout-out from the “moderates” who fall into neither of the well-argued extremes here, and enjoyed it ne’re the less (I’m not noise-sensitive).

Tekweni bustled with people (who were not solely 20-somethings, far from it actually), had a great vibe (& contrary to other writings, not party-central; reception/bar closed at 10 and one night there was only two of us left, playing pool) and, the accoms matched the price (fair for what you get, which is clean, basic and does the job). The dining/communal area is covered, outdoor, and aside a small pool. Its setup allows for joining-in or breaking-away. Exactly what you want in a backpackers. There’s a small inside lounge area to chill and watch TV. Wifi here is free and has good reception. No in-hostel food catering but plenty of places nearby and a local Spar if you want to do your own thing in the kitchen.

Stayed a private room (small), shared bathroom, in the building adjacent the main house. There is noise from the main door opening and closing and you can definitely hear people coming and going from the bathrooms and cooking in the kitchen, same as you would living in a share-house.

Door drop-off and pick-up by the BazBus and, because, travelling in the Capetown to J’Burg direction, you don’t get in until around 10pm-ish, the bus stops on the way at a local joint for you to pick up a “bunny chow” – (a local speciality of scooped-out bread filled with lip-searing spicy curry). Mmmmm.

Did the Tekweni-organised Zulu Village Tour and, well, wouldn’t recommend. Not sure what others in this area are like, but this wasn’t great. Not sure if it’s the tour itself, no matter who you go with, or just this one organised through backpackers? Ask around.

If Martin still works there, spend a night perched at the bar/reception and pump-up-the-jam over some beers, listening to his super cool playlist/s.

Tekweni was probably the most “grown up” of all backpackers I stayed, in that it’s democratically adult – like a big, big, BIG share house. This is a backpackers, not the Hilton (you are not going to get sound-proof privacy), and yes, you have to be responsible for yourself, but the name of the game here is mingling, and whether yours is a cursory courtesy or full-on partying; each to their own as they say!

“Live and let live” is alive and well at Tekweni.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SoozSolo
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Wow. We think we need to hire you to do marketing for us. What a fantastic analogy of what Tekweni is about. Will check into what tour you did though as our day trips are usually very good. Thanks so much for the kind words!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Apart from the 'oh you've arrived at a bad time, I'm cashing up', and the room not being ready despite it being 3pm and no towels, the ambience was cool, it was good to speak to other travellers, and it's great value for money and in a good location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pauljonnash
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thanks for reviewing us. Very glad you had a good time at Tek's. It sounds like you arrived on the weekend as they were cashing up at 3. Really sorry about the lack of welcome and the room not being ready. That is certainly not in the Tekweni spirit and I am going to check it out cuz we take pride in our service. Besides that you rated us nicely. Cool! We hope to see you back.
St. John's, Newfoundland And Labrador, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013

A others have said, Tekweni is the place to go if you like to party, but not if you want to relax and enjoy a comfortable bed. I stayed in a dorm room, and the mattress and pillow were very old and uncomfortable. Other guests were coming and going from the room the whole night, I didn't get any sleep. No breakfast offered in the morning. I would suggest going a few blocks down the road to Gibela, if you can afford it. It is more expensive but worth it!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Tekwenibackpack, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hi, Thanks for reviewing us. If you preferred Gibela to us then you are correct we are not the place for you. Our places are completely different and aim at totally different types of customers to each other. We have recently upgraded our rooms and linen and do aim for our guests to have both a comfortable sleep and a good time. I will check which room you were in to see what happened there. No we don't offer breakfast and never claimed to. We have a substantial kitchen for your use and dozens of shops, restaurants and takeaways on the door step. We are very upfront with what type of place we are and you said you had been told that. I just wonder why you did come to us in the first place if we were not the type of place you were looking for? Also is it really fair to rate us and do damage to our business if you made the wrong choice in place knowing what we were about?

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels