“Really cool backpackers! Wish I stayed longer”

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #32 of 80 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Really cool backpackers! Wish I stayed longer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome.
There are always people around and there is a great atmosphere and party vibe here, I really enjoyed it.
I wish I stayed longer here but duty calls, flights/work etc.
It is a baz bus stop which is useful and it is also situated near lots of shops and restaurants.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thanks for the great review. We also wish you stayed longer and really hope you make it back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stay here if you want to party, but be fearful of the staff and those who hang out at the bar. My friend was sexually assaulted here (by the bartender) and the management was horribly insensitive about it. It was just horrible, and really jaded my time in Durban.

The technicality of it all is fine. Rooms are clean, good street, etc. Its also right next to a VERY loud club, so be weary of that.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
This incident was a year ago. I dealt with it personally with my manageress. The situation went as follows. There was an incident with your friend during the night after she came back from a night on the town. Our investigations found that she was intoxicated that night. She said there was a male intruder in her room but she did chase the person involved away so fortunately the incident was not nearly as serious as it could have been. That does not make the incident ok in any way as it was definitely traumatic but it is important that part is clear now that the incident is being aired in public. She was unsure as to who was involved in the incident but suspected it to be someone that was a bartender with us and had been working for us for a couple of months. She decided not to press charges. Despite your friend not being certain who the person was we suspended the employee in question with immediate affect. We also investigated the incident thoroughly by interviewing many different people that went out with the group that night including your friend. Following our investigation we terminated the employee at our own discretion and he has been banned for life from Tekweni. We are very sorry for your friend and we did say that at the time and don't feel we were insensitive. We understand how it can leave you a “jaded feeling” and it is clear you are angry about it still. We do respect that but we really feel that we did everything we possibly could at the time.

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Tekweni is a cool place to meet people. This place is very popular and packed during the three days I was there. The braai they organised three times a week (if I rem correctly) is awesome too. Free salad and bread rolls (BYO meat).

Kitchen is well equipped, but if you are like me, lazy or simply not in the mood to cook and make your own meals, no problem. Your solution is exactly 47 steps away from the main gate. They are a stone's throw away from many fantastic restaurants and cafes. No lack of choice.

Rooms and the beds are exactly what you pay for. No complaints. Good wifi strength at the bar area.

The lady at the travel desk is fantastic (I'm sorry I forgot your name)! Very helpful, patient and friendly. She organised a diving trip for me and helped me with a couple of other queries. The diving trip went smoothly, except that the transfer is really overpriced. Found out from other divers I could actually get a transfer to Aliwah Shoals Dive centre for 40% cheaper than what I paid. But I am still appreciative for all the assistance rendered.

All in all, I have enjoyed myself there!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thanks for the fantastic informative review. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the diving tips also. Hope to see you back.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

One of the best hostels I visited. I was here for a weekend with friends and it's so convenient that the supermarket is just a walk away and that you can find a lot of restaurants and bars around the corner. Nice atmosphere with visitors from all over the world, who are all open for a conversation and a drink. If you can party you can join them the whole night a go to bed late. If you want to go bed early, that's also possible. I slept in a dorm room and they are basic but fine. The beds are fine and the rooms/the hostel is clean. Nice music in the evenings. I love this place!
Only remark is that I found it strange that they added 5% to the amount I had to pay for the room because I paid with a foreign debit card. In all other restaurants, bars, supermarkets, hotels in South Africa I should just pay the normal amount without an addition because I used a foreign debit card.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thanks for the very kind words. I see you did ask for our quieter dorms and could choose whether to have a festive night or a quiet night. Mission accomplished. Fantastic! Hope to see you back again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Really fun place, met some cool people, but the rooms ( at least the one I was in) was small and cramped. It is reasonably priced for a hostel and as long as you don't expect to get too much sleep at night, you're going to have an awesome time! The staff are helpful and friendly, and they know a shot or few :p

• Stayed February 2014
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thanks for the review. Looks like you forgot to ask for the quieter more out of the way rooms. Also looks like you weren't too bothered and enjoyed your stay. Good stuff!
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Tekweni is definitely one of my top 3 backpackers I visited in South Africa. Everybody is just chilled out, likes to have a little party and enjoys meeting other people. They offer a braai a few times a week (own meat, they have rolls and salad for free!). The rooms are comfortable (dorm) and clean, the location seems quiet and yeah.. They offer free WIFI and have a nice pool / -table. Definitely a nice place to stay if you are in Durban.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Fantastic. Stoked! What more can we say? Oh yeah. Thank you.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Reviews here seem to swing the pendulum: either you’re a partier (great place) or you’re not (give it a swerve). I’m an "inbetweener" (of life more like, not same vein as the TV show/movie) … and … I really enjoyed my stay! I kind of think Tekweni is in need, and deserves, a shout-out from the “moderates” who fall into neither of the well-argued extremes here, and enjoyed it ne’re the less (I’m not noise-sensitive).

Tekweni bustled with people (who were not solely 20-somethings, far from it actually), had a great vibe (& contrary to other writings, not party-central; reception/bar closed at 10 and one night there was only two of us left, playing pool) and, the accoms matched the price (fair for what you get, which is clean, basic and does the job). The dining/communal area is covered, outdoor, and aside a small pool. Its setup allows for joining-in or breaking-away. Exactly what you want in a backpackers. There’s a small inside lounge area to chill and watch TV. Wifi here is free and has good reception. No in-hostel food catering but plenty of places nearby and a local Spar if you want to do your own thing in the kitchen.

Stayed a private room (small), shared bathroom, in the building adjacent the main house. There is noise from the main door opening and closing and you can definitely hear people coming and going from the bathrooms and cooking in the kitchen, same as you would living in a share-house.

Door drop-off and pick-up by the BazBus and, because, travelling in the Capetown to J’Burg direction, you don’t get in until around 10pm-ish, the bus stops on the way at a local joint for you to pick up a “bunny chow” – (a local speciality of scooped-out bread filled with lip-searing spicy curry). Mmmmm.

Did the Tekweni-organised Zulu Village Tour and, well, wouldn’t recommend. Not sure what others in this area are like, but this wasn’t great. Not sure if it’s the tour itself, no matter who you go with, or just this one organised through backpackers? Ask around.

If Martin still works there, spend a night perched at the bar/reception and pump-up-the-jam over some beers, listening to his super cool playlist/s.

Tekweni was probably the most “grown up” of all backpackers I stayed, in that it’s democratically adult – like a big, big, BIG share house. This is a backpackers, not the Hilton (you are not going to get sound-proof privacy), and yes, you have to be responsible for yourself, but the name of the game here is mingling, and whether yours is a cursory courtesy or full-on partying; each to their own as they say!

“Live and let live” is alive and well at Tekweni.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SoozSolo
Patrick M, Owner at Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Wow. We think we need to hire you to do marketing for us. What a fantastic analogy of what Tekweni is about. Will check into what tour you did though as our day trips are usually very good. Thanks so much for the kind words!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Parkview Hotel
#3 of 80 in Durban
Ballito Backpackers
Ballito Backpackers
#13 of 16 in Ballito

Been to Tekweni Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!