“they lost my reservation!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Banana Backpackers

Banana Backpackers
Banana Backpackers
Ranked #52 of 80 Speciality Lodging in Durban
stockholm
“they lost my reservation!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I came to this place late at evening, a woman travelling alone. They told me that tehy lost my reservation although I made it a month earlier back home and got a confirmation.
Then I had to stay in a dorm with ten others both men and women. I did not at all feel at ease with this. One good thing was that the day after a girl worked there and she let me borrow her computer wihtout paying,
It was poorly cleaned.
The only thing I liked was that I met two really interesting people staying there!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Cockroaches all over the place, in the kitchen (together with all their other insect-friends), the couch and the rooms. Also spotted some rats. Sheets were dirty, bathroom was not clean at all. The staff is just lazy and do not want to help you with anything.
The hostel is located in the Red-Light district in Durban, not the place to be! You cannot go out by yourself when it gets dark. Do'nt go here!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Els134

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

I hated it here. We were booked at another hostel and they overbooked and sent us here. We arrived from an amazing few days in Cape Town to this disgusting, poorly cleaned disgusting excuse for a hostel. I'm not really a priss, and my boyfriend and I have travelled all over, to dingy places for $3 a night in Asia, to 5 star resorts... so we're cool to stay anywhere. I actually used the free wifi to book myself another room at a hotel double the prices of this one on the beach because I hated it so much. I felt like there were bugs in the bed, lighting was terrible. I wouldn't have touched the floor with my bare feet if you'd had paid me. People were running around screaming at 5:30am, and there was a dude sitting outside of the locked doors with a HUGE gun. SHADY area too... we were instructed to not walk around but to take a taxi everywhere, which I was happy to do to get the hell out of there. The worst. If this place had a rating of 0/5 I would give it.

WORST STAY EVER.

Room Tip: don't! Never go!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dkuds
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Dirty, rats, poorly managed .... What more can we say? Area not very salubrious. Kitchen really dirty - were rats and in need of a thorough scrub, with disinfectant....No action was taken by the owners against guests indulging in prohibited substances. Very disappointing. Recommend you find other accommodation. They seem to think affordable accommodation means that it can be dirty and unkempt. Which is not necessarily the case! Will NOT be returning.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed in over a dozen hostels and this was by far the worst place I have ever been to. I arrived late and was so looking forward to falling right asleep. I even paid the $200 R for a single because I wanted a good nights sleep and a little bit of privacy after spending weeks in another dorm-style hostel. When I got to the dorm I immediately wanted to leave but at 11pm at night without another plan it didn't seem possible. The sheet on the bed was threadbare and had holes. The room smelled horrible. It was dirty, even with trash on the floor and bookshelf. The curtains didn't shield you from anything and the blanket on the bed was so gross I wrapped myself in my own jacket instead. In the morning I went to the bathroom. The showers and toilets were dirty - beyond anything I have seen at a hostel. They were so old, no hand soap, no door - no good. The "free" internet didn't work and when asked for help I was just told it was fine, and they walked away. Staff didn't smile, offer any sort of advice, tour around upon check in or anything other than "here's a key, your rooms on the left." There are plenty of hostels in Durban - do anything to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Melissa2643
Den Helder, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I found the banana back of,ers to be absolutely horrendous. When I arrived I was severly shocked by the conditions there. There were holes in the walls, smashed windows, glass on the floor, smoking inside, unattended raw meat in the, very dirty, kitchens, and no locks on the doors. I felt unsafe and insecure there. I personally would not reccommend this back packers to any one.

I actually asked to be signed out after a mere hour of being there.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Clara B
Sudbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Dorms were cheap, clean and airy, the staff were happy friendly and easy going, there was 4m diameter pool in the courtyard area, one of those plastic things standing on the ground.
The showers had seen better days, the kitchen was again worn, and I did spot a rat disappearing into one of the cupboards, staff were suitably shocked!
WiFi was free, security good, it well situated for the beach about 4 blocks way, shops and restaurants keen to kill you with junk food abound, the beggars and dodgy looking guy hanging around the streets and to the ambiance (don’t wear your Rolex) pick the bones out of that, you get what you paid for.

Room Tip: Spray the bed with insect repellent
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo