“As two females travelling alone this was a good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Happy Hippo Accommodation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Happy Hippo Accommodation
Toronto, Canada
“As two females travelling alone this was a good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We are two females who stayed at Happy Hippo Back Packers. The staff were very helpful and nice. Make sure when you book happy hippo you confirm your reservation again we had a problem with this. The hostel is close to a local grocery store so you can shop for groceries and make your own meals. I liked how close it is to Ushaka beach and it is lovely to go for an early morning run or walk. We had no safety problems in this area and traveled late at night with the public/tourist buss to go to the theatre/casino/restaurants. It was a cheap and clean place to stay. I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DurbanBrooksie, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello K Kulsum,
What a superbly positive review, thank you so much for your kind and truthful comments. It is always very rewarding when our guests have a good stay with us and enjoy the environment that we have tried to create for our customers. We hope to see you again soon.
Michael Brooks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Turkish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Happy Hippo offers industrial style accomodation in an old warehouse, lacking atmosphere. No free wifi (as opposed to what is advertised). The area around HH isn't safe to wander around, even during the day.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Giant J
DurbanBrooksie, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Giant J,
Thank you for the review, I am sorry that our lodge did not agree with you, the industrial style is not for everyone we know. I am very concerned that you were not offered our free wifi options by our staff and this is something we are looking into and will address immediately. I do however have to point out that the area around HH is statistically the safest in the Durban area, we are the closest accommodation establishment to Ushaka marine world and the area is continuously patrolled by a private security company and two different police forces. Once again sorry for not meeting your expectations and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

No free wifi as advertized. The staff was not so friendly, but the important thing was the it seemed very clean and in a good location. If you're on a budget, it's a good place to stay. Very spacious there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Eno47
Hi Myrucr01,
Thank you for the review, we are very concerned about your experience as it is not how it was meant to go. I can only apologise for the unfriendly staff as we have been working to eradicate this type of behaviour. This ties in with the fact that you were not offered our free wifi options, if you can remember the staff members name I would like it if you could let me know as they are misrepresenting our company, which is very disappointing. You still had positive things to say about us and I thank you very much for that. I hope that we get to see you again on which we can iron out all the problems that you had.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Close to the beach and entertainment and shops. Spacious layout, rooftop garden and bar. The staff are really wonderfull and you always feel at home. The rooms and bathrooms are neat and clean. Really hard to criticize anything. Will never stay anywhere else in Durban.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank erikjs2014
Hi Erik,
Thank you very much for the great review, it is great to know that our staff are rising to the challenge and are looking after our guests the right way. I'm sure we will see you again when you are next in Durbs.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My stay at Happy Hippos it Durban was totally awesome. Not only were the staff awesomely good and welcoming. But all the fascilities and all were great. The place was clean and nice and I just loved the location! It is perfectly placed right next to the village walk that leads to the beach and lots of restaurants + the area was also very quiet!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
DurbanBrooksie, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Hi Petra T,
Thank you for the superb review, it is always nice to hear that the hard work our staff do is paying off and that the location suited your needs. We look forward to hosting you again at the Happy Hippo.
Schijf, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Safe, clean, friendly staff, good bar at the roof and restaurants at a safe-walking distance. My car was safe in the private garage. People of all ages are welcome at Happy Hippo's!
.i'll come back here!

Room Tip: Twin bedroom en suite...great!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jackyv4
DurbanBrooksie, Owner at Happy Hippo Accommodation, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Hi Jackyv4,
We are humbled that you had a great time with us, having guests that are positive about our place is always uplifting and makes us strive to keep providing a good clean and safe place to stay.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hostel is close to Ushaka... that is the one good thing I can say about it.
But its too big and stuff is regularly getting stolen as the sign on the fridge inside says.
After my 1st night, I left my toiletry bag inside my room during the day. When I came back my toiletry bag was gone. I got it back when I asked as the cleaners had put it in the laundry room. But my shampoo and frangence gone. I questioned the head cleaning lady and was told that the other male traveller was still in the room that must have taken it. That sounded like bull**** cos I was the last too leave that morning and everyone else had left and the room was empty and I had hid my toiletry bag in the drawer. My message to potential travellers is don't stay here unless you don't mind getting your stuff nicked.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MattAfrica
I would love to say thank you for your review, but it does not make sense at all! Firstly you complain that the lodge is too big, if privacy and space is not what you want then I can only apologise for failing you in this matter.
Secondly, with regards to our staff stealing, this accusation borders on defamation of character. Do you honestly believe my staff would steal a used bottle of shampoo, when we have ten half used bottles of shampoo in our laundry room from previous guests. The mere suggestion that my staff would jeopardise their employment for a measly bottle of shampoo and aftershave is both insulting and derogatory. In regard to your fragrance, you did not specify what it is was so I cannot comment on that issue.
You mention that you talked to the head cleaner, I would love to know who this was, as we do not have a head cleaner, we operate in a place where barring management everyone is equal. WHY did you not speak to anyone at reception so that the issue could be resolved? You could have asked to speak to the owners and we would have reacted swiftly.
The sign in the kitchen is not an advert that we have stealing going on in our business, but merely a guideline to all customers not too use other peoples supplies. If this sign is being misconstrued as an advert for theft then I will take it down with immediate effect.
I only hope that in the future you deal with such a situation differently, so as to avoid defamatory reviews that only serve to blight an otherwise honest business.