“Rubbish customer service”
Review of Nomads Backpackers

Nomads Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Nomads Backpackers
Ranked #30 of 82 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked rooms in Nomads in December to arrive there in February. 3 days before we got there, we called them to check all was ok, only to be told there was no record of our booking, and unless we paid up front, they wouldn't take us in. This was a school trip, and we were in a real spot. Nomnads were totally unapologetic, and adopted a 'deal with it' sort of attitude. Fortunately, Gibela Backpackers down the road were fantastic, and really helped us out. Avoid Nomads, go with Gibela!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We found Nomads to be dark, dirty and some of the staff were not friendly or helpful. We had lots of trip planning questions and found it was very difficult to get answers until we spoke with the owner.It was also odd that the electricity would get turned off in the room at night making it difficult to get ready in the mornings.On the up side the hostel is very close to a mall which was convenient.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CouandDrew F
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Laughed when I read the review re amazing staff and grimy hostel - I agree 100%. By far the friendlist hostel staff in Durban, with the best advice about where to go out and the most interest in making sure I had a good time (regardless of whether I spent more money at their hostel - no soft sells - sort of nice for a change). This hostel captures the international spirit of backpacking better than many in SA that have overcommercialized. Felt like I actually got to see the city, had one of the most memorable nights of my trip.

Public transit is actually more of an option in Durban than other places, so we caught the bus to the CBD and checked out Victoria Market et al - good city buses from this backpackers to the CBD. Also really enjoyed some parts of Musgrave Shopping Center for a bit of escapism on a hot day.

BUT the hostel itself was a little grimy all over and I also slept in my sleep sack instead of right on the sheets. So maybe not the place to stay if you want to spend hours in bed recuperating from some other part of your trip and aren't intending on heading out to get food.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first
Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Me and my husband intended staying one night at Nomads but through a communication breakdown (nothing to do with Nomads) we ended up staying two nights.
I was extremely impressed with the male person on the desk ( his name escapes me) who helped us book and postpone different events due to the extra night.
Nothing was a problem. Later in the evening we met the owners who were most hospital to us. Shirley and Graeme

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomo3
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The staff in the hotel is very friendly and can give you good tips and information about durban.
The dorm is big and clean and comes with a fan.
The Nomads is located in a quiet and save area and just around the corner you will find the shopping center musgrave. To come to the beach you will need a cap because it's far.
We liked best the chilled athmosphere and the homemade cooked meals from the owner.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Very dirty place.
The food (breakfast) was really really bad.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ElianeSagodira
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This is really difficult to review as on one hand no way would I suggest staying here, but it had the most helpful staff, especially Dean, and I met some of the most fantastic people of my trip at this hostel.

The kitchen was filthy. The microwave, which was new, also dirty. Dishclothes etc. likely to have been full of bacteria. I cooked breakfast in the morning but I had to bin as I just kept thinking how dirty everything was and therefore likely to give me dicky-bum-squirts if I ate here...as unable to wash and dry anything up without touching something undesirable while doing so.

Forgive me, but I am unable to describe the bathroom to you - as it brings on dry heaving!

This was also the first location that I felt the need to use my sleeping rather than their linen.

On the positive, as I say, staff were great. Helpful and friendly. The garden is a very socialable area where everyone interacts.

So....if you can get over all the negatives, I would stay...but not too long!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo