“Lovely atmosphere”
Review of Nomads Backpackers

Nomads Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durban
Nomads Backpackers
Ranked #30 of 81 Speciality Lodging in Durban
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Conveniently situated for BazBus pick up and drop off. The nicest people! Everyone is friendly and down to earth and we had some enjoyable conversations. We had a very comfortable bedroom and a wonderful night's sleep. Bathrooms are also clean and in excellent working order. Our's was a quick overnight stay, but we are very happy with Nomads Backpackers!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our family was booked here for 3 nights.... we needed a clean place to sleep while exploring Durbs... we paid upfront... (not doing that again!!!). What a disappointment when we arrived.

The people were friendly enough, but I have never seen a place so dirty, smelly, old and run down in my life. I could not even touch the reception counter, never mind sleeping there. I did not expect fancy, but I did expect clean.
I can not believe that they charge people money to stay there.
We left without a refund of course. The manager/owner did offer to pay back what he could retrieve from re-renting the room, but I will be pleasantly surprised if I hear from them again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here for one night.

Pros
- friendly and helpful staff
- coffee and tea are free
- fast service with alcohol :)
- close to a mall
- free wifi but can get only in certain locations

Cons
- dorm rooms are alright. They have triple decker bunk beds. Doesn't have any reading lights so if you need the light on, you must use the main light in the room.
- limited bathrooms available

Room Tip: Book a suite. Avoid the dorms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked this place easily on the net which is how I came across it! I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights! Instead of a dorm I booked an en suite room! Whic was not too badly priced for sharing! They had a nice entertainment social area! It was quite quiet as it was off peak season! The only thing that we did not like was that we had a car and the gate was manual! The keys were kept inside so you had to get out your car go inside get keys then open the gate drive in the put the keys back! I think they should think of an Alternate safer option! Tea and coffee was on tap! Breakfast and dinner etc is avaible at a cost which we didn't have as we were our most of the time! This place is at the beginning of essenwood road just off the highway/main road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked rooms in Nomads in December to arrive there in February. 3 days before we got there, we called them to check all was ok, only to be told there was no record of our booking, and unless we paid up front, they wouldn't take us in. This was a school trip, and we were in a real spot. Nomnads were totally unapologetic, and adopted a 'deal with it' sort of attitude. Fortunately, Gibela Backpackers down the road were fantastic, and really helped us out. Avoid Nomads, go with Gibela!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We found Nomads to be dark, dirty and some of the staff were not friendly or helpful. We had lots of trip planning questions and found it was very difficult to get answers until we spoke with the owner.It was also odd that the electricity would get turned off in the room at night making it difficult to get ready in the mornings.On the up side the hostel is very close to a mall which was convenient.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CouandDrew F
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Laughed when I read the review re amazing staff and grimy hostel - I agree 100%. By far the friendlist hostel staff in Durban, with the best advice about where to go out and the most interest in making sure I had a good time (regardless of whether I spent more money at their hostel - no soft sells - sort of nice for a change). This hostel captures the international spirit of backpacking better than many in SA that have overcommercialized. Felt like I actually got to see the city, had one of the most memorable nights of my trip.

Public transit is actually more of an option in Durban than other places, so we caught the bus to the CBD and checked out Victoria Market et al - good city buses from this backpackers to the CBD. Also really enjoyed some parts of Musgrave Shopping Center for a bit of escapism on a hot day.

BUT the hostel itself was a little grimy all over and I also slept in my sleep sack instead of right on the sheets. So maybe not the place to stay if you want to spend hours in bed recuperating from some other part of your trip and aren't intending on heading out to get food.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first
Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends