“My home away from home”

Cowrie Cove Guest House
Ranked #7 of 261 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This B&B has been my home away from home for many years. It's a very special guesthouse that will truly add a level of luxury and comfort to any trip. Kim and Gareth are wonderful hosts and will ensure you have absolutely everything you could need including FREE (completely free) high speed wifi, directions to local restaurants, muffins, coffee, tea in abundance, and a breakfast that is the best I've ever had!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing however the suites are a luxurious must-try if you can
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is without a doubt the best guesthouse I have ever stayed in. Beautifully decorated throughout, spacious and comfortable rooms (including the largest shower I have ever been in!) It is convenient to Durban and Umhlanga Rocks and is close to the airport. Garth and Kim are so welcoming and helpful, even organising a pickup and drop off at the airport for me. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they really made me feel at home (much better than previous owners). Breakfasts are individually prepared and there is a great cold buffet selection. It was also right next to a beautiful beach (linked by a short walk through the dune forest). Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: every room has its own charm- choose different ones each time you come for a different experience...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had a very nice experience at Cowrie Cove.
The breakfast was fresh and delicious.
The 'midnight' snacks was great with some nice flavoured tea to accompany the snacks.

The bedding was clean and comfortable.
I forgot the owner's name. but I must say for that they were very accommodated and professional.

Will definitely see me again

Thanks

Room Tip: If you want class then this would be the place for you
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night in July. This is really an amazing guest house. We were made to feel right at home by the owners. The entire place is well decorated and maintained. The rooms are very well equipped. Great breakfasts too! A real 5 star experience!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed here for New Years. From making the reservation the experience was superb. We even had to make a change on last minute and during peak time and the owners accommodated this with no hassle. On arrival it was like 'coming home' - instantly felt welcome. We had a lovely room - great decor, very clean, and with aircon. Lovely relaxing area by swimming pool, private beach was added bonus. At festive season to have a private beach was a great luxury. Breakfast is a lovely spread with a surprise item every day - muffins or other item - really great experience and hospitality. Hosts Garth and Kim are a very professional, friendly team together that value client service and are just genuine people who are in this business because they love hospitality. We did not stay in the suites as were fully booked but had a look at them - gorgeous and even better than 5* beach hotels in Umhlanga. Would highly recommend for business and leisure.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can - price difference very small! Book in advance for festive season
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed at Cowrie Cove for 6 nights in December with my husband. The place is beautiful, the service is excellent and the breakfasts are delicious. I also found that the location is very convenient - close to malls, shops and beaches, with easy access to the highways. The room we stayed in, no 9, was palatial - with a spa bath and every convenience you can imagine. I loved the beautiful king-sized bed with luxurious sheets. I loved the pool/relaxation area and the fact that there was a coffee machine to which guests have access all day!

There were just a few negatives, which can be easily remedied: there was no mirror in the bedroom at all (let alone near a plug-point) and I battled when using my hair straightner. More hooks are needed in the bathroom for shower caps, gowns etc. Parking at night was sometimes a problem as people parked badly and there was no space. And if you are bothered by noise in the morning - request a room away from the kitchen, or else you can hear the breakfast-making din in the morning. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend this B&B and I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one night in Cowrie Cove on December the 8th.
My only complaint is that I was not staying for longer. The new owners Garth and Kym were very accomodatting. When I arrived Garth personally collected me from the airport which was a really nice touch and made me feel very at home.

The Guest house was stunning and the rooms had a real luxurious feel to them and were very spacious. Much nicer tngan any hotel. The bathroom was again beautifully decorated and spacious with a walk in shower and spa bath.

The guest location is on a great location to the beach with a private secluded path right onto the beach. The breakfast was delicious with a great selection on offer. I would thoroughly recommend Cowrie Cove to stay if you are in the Durban area

• Stayed: December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#3 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
The Oyster Box
The Oyster Box
#2 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel Marriot Durban Umhl...
#13 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
The Sibaya Lodge
The Sibaya Lodge
#17 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
Goble Palms Guest Lodge & Urban Retreat
Essenwood House
Essenwood House
#9 of 261 in Durban

Been to Cowrie Cove Guest House? Share your experiences!