“A little piece of heaven in KZN”

Cowrie Cove Guest House
Ranked #7 of 262 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was on business for one night in KZN and a colleague suggested Cowrie Cove in La Lucia near Durban. What a brilliant suggestion. From King Shaka Airport it is about a 20 minute journey using the M2/M41/M4. Easy to find. Upon entering, one immediately just falls in love with this place; It is a calm refuge from the busy world outside. The rooms are suites and are huge, tastefully decorated with elegant and functional furniture. My bed was incredibly comfortable and the sheets were Egyptian percale cotton. The shower in the bathroom was massive and the bathroom fittings were really classy and ultra-functional-a rare combination. Secluded patio with exterior furniture outside.There is an exquisite attention to detail in Cowrie Cove that is so obviously lacking in so many other hospitality establishments these days. Breakfast was a sumptuous affair, individually cooked to my requirements and it just hit the spot magnificently. Help yourself to tea and coffee throughout the day and there is an honesty bar available for guests. Unwind with a drink around the lovely pool at night. Sheer heaven. Kim and Garth are very friendly and helpful owners and ensure your stay is hassle-free. I didn't manage to visit the beach on this occasion but am sure I will manage it next time round as it is very close by. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: No need-all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris G

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

One of the best kept secrets of the Zulu Kingdom. Private, quite, very well done! I love it... The rooms are very well decorated, the overall feel of the place is Devine. The staff is sooooo friendly I felt at home just as I arrived! Every time I visit KZN I am staying at this place!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Thank you Garth & Kim, for a magnificent two days. We were welcomed so warmly into your Guest "Home". We had superb service, a stunning suite & 1st class breakfasts! The beach being so close & with its private access was the cherry on the top of an already exceptional stay. We can highly recommend Cowrie Cove & will certainly return!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had a group of guests that we picked up from the Airport and we took them to Cowrie Cove where they had booked for a couple of days and we had dinner there with the guests, the guest house is beautiful, the food was lovely and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We highly recommend Cowrie Cove

1  Thank 1st_Zulu_Safaris_SA
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Just went back home in Paris leaving a piece of my heart to Garth and his wife .
Absolutely better to any hotel i could imagine .
Warm welcome, Location simply amazing and....what tell again.."simply the best place to stay"
Thanks a lot again Garth for the nice stay and...see you soon next time ( for sure)

2  Thank MSanta68
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Our original guest house was fully booked so our company appointed travel agency booked us into Cowrie Cove Guest House in La Lucia and what a good decision. Kim and Garth made us feel at home, my suite was beautifully decorated and oh my word the bathroom is "to die for" it is twice the size of my bathroom at home. I enjoyed getting back from a long day to just lie in the bath and soak. The breakfasts prepared by all the ladies was absolutely out of this world, they put on a fantastic spread and thanks for accommodating my omelette fettish.
Will definitely be back to stay with Garth and Kim at their amazing Guest House.

Room Tip: Suite 3 has an enormous bathroom and shower with spa bath
2  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our large group stayed at Cowrie Cove guest house for 6 nights. From the moment we arrived, until the moment we departed, owners Kim and Garth along with manager Jackie provided each and every one of us with a perfect ending to 3 long weeks of safari travels.
They went above and beyond, recommending local activities, calling taxis, arranging for laundry services, booking tee times for golf and more. There was no request they failed to attend to. And they did it all with a smile. By the time we left, we all felt we had made new friends.
The breakfast is amazing, with choice of a wide variety of items on a buffet table and/or a hot breakfast cooked to order. The food was delicious. We also enjoyed the little sweet treats left out for late night snackers.
The house and property is beautiful, the surroundings idyllic. The rooms are all different, each one spacious, comfortable, decorated beautifully and impeccably clean. Their staff are professional, helpful and friendly.
We loved our stay at Cowrie Cove, and I would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation. I hope to be lucky enough to return!
Go - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank susanne g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durban
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
#3 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
The Oyster Box
The Oyster Box
#2 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Protea Hotel Marriott Durban Umh...
#13 of 19 in Umhlanga Rocks
#10 of 262 in Durban
The Grange Guest House
The Grange Guest House
#12 of 262 in Durban

Been to Cowrie Cove Guest House? Share your experiences!