“Total Gem”

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Durban
London, United Kingdom
“Total Gem”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed only one night at CBB and wish i'd stayed longer. The staff were super friendly, the cafe was really unique and cute, the room was clean, stylish, colourful, inventive... the shower was AMAZING, like a waterfall from the ceiling. Wifi was free (which is more than what I can say for several other far more expensive hotels). Bed was HUGE, and the room came with a super cute outdoor/balcony area. What more could you want!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tessahickes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed here for a whole four days and it was just magnificent , would def stay here again,The rooms are spacious , with a dashund theme that i found truly amazing.We had the chance of meeting the owner and what a lovely gentleman.Primrose is also a Gem and they are lucky to have her.The design of the room was very nice and had alot of colours and the shower with the R18 sticker on was truly genious ;)

The restaurant is also to die for.

Keep up the good work and congrats.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 4 January 2013

... but a most eclectic, surprising, amazingly furnished comfortable delight with great rooms (converted from an old row of Durban cottages). Breakfast too was most unexpected and yes, eclectic too. If you're weary of the usual fare that conventional hotels offer, then this is certainly the place to stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

it was a great stay at this hotel as we had enjoyed it. just had 1 problem as our aircon was not working and it was hot in durban but then we have to manage it as it was only a night stay there other than this it was wonderful we arrived a bit late so the the city restaurants was closed but anyhow the guy at reception helped and treated us nicely with ordering an nandos for us thanks to u peter....

• Stayed December 2012
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

No real complaints. We got breaky included which was perfect every morning and so worth it the food was amazing. Rooms are very small an pokey. Ask for room with a varander (means no bath) if u like ur privacy or are a smoker. The court yard is shared with the whole place. This hotel is near a road of good bars Nd pubs. No beach for swimming or even relaxing. And if u drive there at night brace your self. However it is safer than it looks if its ur first time here.

• Stayed December 2012
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I recently visited South Africa and visited Rorkes Drift, Ckarens finishng up in Durban and booked the locations after reading reviews on this site. I wanted to finish up in Durban and spend the final nights of my break in the city.I checked out the reviews on the Concierge Boutique Bungalows and thought that looks great and booked, having spent the best part of a week and a half traveling I was realy looking forward to my wind down in the city....imagine my surprise when I arrived in some strange back streets of the city arriving at the Conciege courtyard, a gravel car park shared by three or four other business's but hey its booked and paid for, the young lady on recepetion was extremely welcoming allthough she couldnt grasp the concept my name was Arthur Austi and not Austin. I was given keys to my room which was easy enough to find however bungalows it was more like portacabins but it was booked and paid for!! The hair drier and safe didnt work in my room and so the maid took the iniative and moved me to one which had these items functioning. Breakfast the next morning the manager, I presume, spent more time rushing around and organising staff than speaking with guests and making them feel welcome and relaxed, the young chap working, haha, spent more time and energy avoiding work tha n doing anything productive forgot my pomegranite juice and when prompted returned with a lovely glass of fresh ORANGE juice. one of the final horrors to this stay was I was bitten by mosquitoes in the city when having spent most of my time in the wilds of Africa, some of which was in a room overlooking the Buffalo River and not one bite!!!!! The one good thing was on the morning of my departure I left my mobile phone behind which the staff tried to get in touch with me by phoning my last dialed number, dont know how this would help as I was not contactable my phone was in their hands. I was fortunate enough to realise and returned and thanks for their honesty. I have stayed on a previous visit visit to South Africa and stayed in other boutiquie hotels and this is definately not up to their standards and if this is number two heaven help people staying in the lower ranked hotels

Room Tip: do not bother with the courtyard view its a car park
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Arthur_Austin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Possibly...

i was originally booked into a large chain hotel on the seafront. Went to room and had to leave immediately. Dark, depressing, small.

Searching frantically on tripadvisor i found this gem and it really is.

We all moved there and get three all utterly unique rooms. Now they are not large, well one was bigger than the other but all beautifully done, very homely and welcoming.

I love a bath, but the room with the bath didnt have the terrace...although the "rain" showers are lovely.

My room was a bit cramped with all my stuff...3 massive bags, but if you don't have that much crap you will be fine.

Not much storage and the usual slow internet issues that plagued my trip to SA...but if I ever find myself in Durban again this is where i want to stay!!

One quick thing...you can get brekkie here but if you want dinner or room service then you won't find it here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business