“A good stay in quirky hotel. Errors of communication galore though.”

The Concierge Boutique Bungalows
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A good stay in quirky hotel. Errors of communication galore though.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Concierge Boutique Bungalows are unique. Their friendly staffer Primrose helped me to get an early check in and airport pick up, we arrived to a quirky property with outdoor seating and a cafe with amazing food! Our rooms were comfortable with great beds and an amazing bathroom, not to mention the terrace. Many reviews here highlight, and correctly so, the amazing accommodation of this hotel. I'm reviewing today more as an open letter to the hotel to simply improve its logistics.

On our first evening my friend and I wanted take out and with the help of staff we ordered food with expected delivery time of an hour, stating our room number and being told that we'd be phoned upon its arrival to the front desk. After 1hr and 20 minutes we phoned the front desk only to learn our food had sat there for 20 minutes. It was now cold. The staff member then warmed the food upon our request and provided plates, knifes and forks. All in all the problem was resolved but would it not have been better to have phoned our room up in the first place when the food arrived?

We had issues on our second day with the shower temperature, learning that heater system had locked out and would take one hour to reheat. This should not be the case for a property like this - our day out was delayed. We then left our room at a later time of 12:00, and after asking room service to return to our room later to clean (I asked at 10:00) we found, upon arriving from our day out at 17:30, a 'do not disturb' sign that we had not placed there, and that the room had not been cleaned that day. The evening staff certainly seemed embarrassed upon hearing this and asked if we wanted clean towels, I fortunately grabbed some earlier in the day from housekeeping.

The fourth day upon check out I requested a late check out at 07:45 for 11:45 as opposed to 10:00, this was granted. My friend and I went out for a few hours before returning 15 minutes before our new check out. It was bizzare to enter my room and find the bedding removed, the bathroom cleaned and a bathrobe, neither of ours, in the bathroom. At this point my patience was worn. It was simply an illogical move given that they could have cleaned the room after we'd left, we were entitled to return to the room and use our hotel room and all of its facilities up until our check out time, so a lack of bedding and a bathroom prepared for the next guest when we were yet to check out was bewildering.

At check out I spoke with management about these issues. I was accused of putting the 'do not disturb' sign on the door after I'd said I hadn't, and that perhaps another guest had, no comment was given regarding the other two incidents though.

I would return, quirky and comfortable is certainly an apt descriptor of the property, management was pleasant enough, all the staff certainly were too, but the errors of communication made this stay less effortless than I'd hoped. Here's hoping for improvements.

Room Tip: Verandah rooms, not Courtyard - You have a terrace and less courtyard music noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TanAgg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Camps Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Driving to The Concierge is a little disconcerting because the area seems a tad seedy and rundown. They have good security, however, and you park in their courtyard. The room was great. I took an outside king room with shower only, and verandah, which is lovely. The decor is modern, the shower great (rain style set into the ceiling). I'd read previous reviews which said the courtyard could get noisy and disturb if you stay in the inner rooms. In fact friends had no problems and, if anything, mine was the noisier room with people coming and going in the street late at night.
The hotel is not at all traditional; from the daschunds to the reception behind the Freedom cafe counter and dog references throughout in the rooms. The bed was very comfortable, good linen and towels. I had a problem with power - no lights, plugs, or TV, but it was rectified quickly - a fault at the box. One small issue which I'd also read in a previous review was the intermittent running of the extraction fan in the bathroom area. As it's all one room, with just a curtain divider, it was loud and intrusive at night. My solution was to turn off my power altogether during the night (taking the key card out of the box).
Staff were professional and courteous. Freedom Cafe breakfast OK, laid back and nice space to sit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucinda D
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I was amazed at how cool the concierge was as soon as I arrived.
So many details and a great vibe. From the cafe to the staff to the accommodation we were extremely happy and this is a great stopover point if you are in Durban..
MUST STAY..

Sandor+Steph

Stayed July 2014
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed at The Concierge for four nights in early July 2014. I had a wonderful experience! My room was extremely clean, the staff bent over backwards to make sure I got to do all the things I wanted to do around town, and they picked me up from and dropped me off at the airport. On two occasions they even ordered me pizza because the restaurant was closed and I didn't want to be out by myself after dark (I was traveling alone).

The breakfast was very, very good as well.

The Concierge sits back off of a main road, so it was sometimes difficult for taxis to find, but that was really the only difficulty (if you can even call it that) during my stay. I would gladly recommend this hotel to friends and family if they were going to Durban.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard may get noisy in the mornings
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This was a great choice for our overnight stay in Durban. Was initially concerned about the location but proved to be no problem. The room was superbly decorated and just adored the bath and shower. Breakfast was excellent so much so at I used this for a breakfast meeting place a week later. Staff were very attentive and friendly and very well priced.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you don't have a GPS or Map forget about finding this place. By some miracle we did though. Once there check in process was friendly and quick even though it was fairly late by the time we arrived.

Room was great with everything we needed. Very stylish/ funky. Loved the bathroom. Close to Florida Road if you wanted to get something to eat or have a drink.

Staff were fairly friendly at breakfast. Very quirky little breakfast venue in a poshed up container. Breakfast itself was excellent can't fault them there.

Great hidden gem in the heart of Durban.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard/ Cafe can be quite noisy in the Morning/Evening.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Seville
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have chosen this hotel based on the photos and other reviews. The hotel itself is nice, the breakfast is absolutely delicious.
The problem is the noise, the cleaning staff is very noisy and woke us up everyday at 7AM... We could also hear noise from other bedrooms at night. The noise insulation it's quite an issue...
There's also an automatic fan in the bathroom that turns on every time you pass close to the bathroom and you can't shut it down (it's automatic)... and since the bathroom doesn't have a door, you can clearly hear the noisy fan in the bedroom.
The hotel has a nice patio and a private parking but if they have an event taking place (happened to us), they will not inform you and you will not be able to use the patio or the parking...
The staff could be more friendly...riendly...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple