“Great hotel”

The Waterfront Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Docklands. Overall we had a great room that was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a great view overlooking the working harbor. The restaurant is fantastic, great food for good value. My only complaint is the laundry facility is way over-priced, and our waitress on our last night seemed uninterested in keeping a timely manner with our orders, as she seemed to forget our table/orders when attending to others. However, Francis on the morning shift, greeted us every morning with a very friendly smile and disposition, and went out of his way to help us out. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Request a harbor facing room with balcony. When the doors are shut, there is virtually no noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Stayed here for (fortunately) one night and found it disappointing. Unable to open the room with the key given to us and no apology offered. The hotel is different in presentation and sometimes it's good to be different and stand out from the crowd but it just didn't work in this case. We ate in the restaurant and this was also lacking. We were members of a touring group and, as we were last to leave our table, the waitress wanted us to pay for the drinks consumed by the entire group. Later, we discovered that everyone had paid their share before leaving. The food was unappetising and cold.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Only reason for completing this is to warn would- be guest. One of those hotel, on paper it looks great, but it terrible. Checking in was OK. We were placed into a room or lets say closet. When I complained to reception and showed correspondence between myself and our booking agent and his central reservations, we were moved to the correct room. We had late dinner/ lunch at the in-house restaurant. The food was great and it was value for money. Only the irritating thing was the would- be barman/ waiter, was changing the music every so often to his taste. Even greater disappointment and disaster when they had moved our luggage to our new room. The room overlooked some scrap yard. The AC was making a noise, that would drive any person insane when trying to sleep at night. Off I went to reception again, only to be told that maintenance has left and there is nothing that could be done until the morning, and no rooms were available. How stupid and ridiculous. We decided to leave, told them to keep the money and left to book into the Hilton in Durban. Could not settle my bill of the restaurant as the system was off-line. Now I was no longer prepared to wait or listen incompetent mismanaged hotel excuses anymore. Please convert the"hotel" back to a warehouse or something not a hotel. Carpets were stained along the corridors. Light were not working everywhere. Tiles were broken inside the lift-car, and wall were scratched and pealing paint. Things that I notice when moving around in hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 1toSweeper
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Not being from Durban we did not know this hotel is located in a very "down-market" part of town right next to the commercial shipping yard. Forget the images of white yachts and cruise liners, a dirty container terminal is whats here for your pleasure. Our superior room was overlooked by a Japanese container ship loading containers all night with spot lights shining into the room, also offering a further lovely view of all the trucks loading containers as well as a construction site and dilapidated buildings which border the hotel all round. The staff seem friendly when they can understand you and if they actually respond, but on the whole are highly untrained and have almost no communication skills if you speak English or Afrikaans. The rooms are neat and tidy but are very small and offer very little if you are not simply staying the night. No fridge, no bath, nothing you would expect to get for the money you pay and for the Hotel Group this place is associated with. Your outside balcony is shared with no partition at all with 2 other rooms, so those guests have access to your room if you decide you would like to leave the balcony door open for some fresh air. If you want to lie in bed, you have to close the curtains if you want any privacy from the next rooms. I guess its all about what you personally expect in a place, but for this kind of money and the way its portrayed on their website as an upmarket place, it doesn't make the grade in my book, not even close. The food wasn't bad but there was a massive lack of it, out of the 8 options for a main course, only 3 were available by 6:45pm that evening, so heaven help you if you like to eat a little later, baring in mind you can only order dinner from 6pm! I think if your plane crashed in the parking lot, where the wreckage would fit in quite well with the look outside the hotel, you could survive a one night stay here, assuming you were clean after the plane crash as the showers have no pressure. Bottom line, If you are a family or a couple thinking of getting a place to stay while visiting Durban, run as fast as you can, this place is absolutely terrible!!!! Total disaster for our first wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: Don't, find another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 82Traveller1
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Nice hotel unfortunately it is at the far end of the beach but the rooms are nice and trendy. I know the area is off the track but a little walking never hurt anyone. The staff are nice the food is good and the rooms are comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure you r not overlooking the roof
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

An attempt was obviously made to create a facility that "themes" with the environment. This was partially successful and the "port" theme quite interesting. But the area is seedy and the breakfast (we didn't eat dinner there) was the most awful I've ever had in a hotel. Powdery eggs, suspicous sausages and everything just killed by curry. The staff were friendly. The photo is of the view from my room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at the Docklands hotel for a week so I got to know it pretty well. The room I was in was a superior executive room with balcony overlooking the harbour....a definite WOW when I first saw it! The room was very spacious and the bed was really comfortable with lovely crisp white sheets fresh every day. It was always kept immaculately clean by housekeeping. The decor is fun but there is a design fault with having no door on the shower.....this means you have to put down the shower mat AND a towel to soak up the water after a shower. The hot water always took a long time to work its way through...although it always did eventually. The only thing missing for me was a comfy chair to rest in or watch tv.....otherwise you had to lie on the bed.
Reception and restaurant staff were always friendly and helpful to me which was nice to see. Breakfast was the same everyday...a hot buffet of scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, beans, tomato and potato and a continental with the usual cheeses, fruit meusli etc. Nice choices.
Frequently I got room service as I was travelling alone....this was pretty efficient and good value.The only gripe I had was one evening when I rang for room service I was told there was no room service that night.. only a buffet... as they had a conference in!
All in all,a very good stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo