“Modern look hotel”

The Waterfront Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This hotel is a new addition to Durban and is situated in the old seedy docklands area. It seems quite safe now and they have retained some of the old warehouse walls outside the hotel . Decor is strange it is done up presumably to resemble a warehouse with grey and red paint work which is all a bit grim . Our room ( 2034) was a bit of a disaster although others in the group had better rooms . There was no hair dryer but I got one from reception. Unfortunately the plugs were too far away from the mirror for me to see what I was doing and had to try and do my hair in the reflection of the TV. There was an area to hang clothes which was far too high for someone of my height to reach. It was very noisy up until about midnight as there seemed to be some kind of kids' event below and the noise carried to nearly every room on our floor. You could get a code for free internet but it wouldn't work in room 2034. It was fine in the reception area. We had no glasses in the bathroom yet they left chocolates on our pillow . They would be better attending to the basics and forgetting the niceties . Breakfast was however really good with an excellent cheese , ham and chutney selection.
We had a nice walk along the seafront in the morning and this whole area seems to have been redeveloped recently .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel during Comrades. Forgot some of my stuff in the room. I called Nombu and asked her to keep my stuff for me (some stuff vanished). It is now end of August, Docklands has still not given me my stuff back. Sent my sister numerous times to go and collect, and they always give her some story. This hotel is very badly managed and the staff has no clue what customer service is.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThabileDube
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights. We were a bit worried as the area is right next to the harbour area but realised that this is an advantage as the area is very quiet and relaxing. The deco is fresh and modern unlike other hotels. The scheek red, black and white colour skeem balances very well with the industrial look of the building. Memories made -Would definately go again

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank tubiza
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Dockland Hotel, managed by Three Cities Company made my stay in Durban very easy. Last year I had stayed in a different hotel at Florida road, which was a nightmare.

Wonderful staff and very well respected, took good care of their customers.

Rooms was nice and the one that I asked was the dockside which did had some noise of trucks, cranes etc being operational, but it was better than the sea side or the courtyard side which could be noisy at night as I was told by my office colleague.

Restaurant was good and had good food.... breakfast was limited due to not 100% occupancy and limited guest, but I was made very comfortable with what I wanted. The room service staff especially name Michael was very gentle and well mannered who took all the trouble to keep my medicines in the kitchen fridge and always made an attempt to give it to me when I required.

I must congratulate the management to have such good and well manned staff. Though the hotel has all designs and paintings and gave a contemporay look, I was not that impressed with it as it gave a dark image of the hotel.

Bathroom was okay and not that all excellent, very small table, whether to keep the laptop or the food tray was difficult.

Anyways, it was better than the previous hotel so no compliants much but they could it much better.

Room Tip: Avoid a courtyard side room, you will have sleepless nights !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I spent a night here on a business trip. As someone who grew up in Durban, I knew this side of town was not the best, and should be avoided. The hotel itself is basic, and the room size is bigger than some hotels I stayed at. My room was on the top floor (4th) facing the courtyard by the restaurant. The bed was made up of 2 single beds next to each other, and I found the duvet to be inadequate. I'm fairly tall (1.7m) and the duvet could barely cover me properly - not impressed; and this has *never* happened before. I had a terrible sleep, rowdy guests from the outdoor area just wouldn't stop. The decor was minimalist and you could see they made an effort to be slightly different from the usual standard interiors.

We had dinner at the restaurant which was a curry buffet, which was a good mix of Indian dishes.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't stay here again.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I spent one night at Docklands for a corporate event. The staff, while good intentioned, are a bit clueless. The decor is attempting to be urban and minimalist, but it comes across as dull and strangely unsettling.
It is not in a good area and originally my room was facing the courtyard which proved to be very noisy so I requested a move. After a bit of fuss I was moved to a dock facing room - one thing with docks - they're operating 24/7 which means trucks, forklifts and cranes can be heard throughout the night.
The room facing the docks was clean and well laid out but the bed was not fantastic, nor was the shower and the desk was very small.
That said, the restaurant was excellent with good food and prompt, polite and friendly service.
I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room, not facing the docks nor the courtyard.
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I was initially very impressed with this quirky, industrial style hotel in the Durban Point redevelopment area. The concept is great, rooms are funky, yet functional. The beds are super comfortable. So what went so disastrously wrong? My room faced the courtyard which has an inside/outside seating area. Around midnight a group of revellers (well oiled) decided to continue their party in the courtyard. The noise continued until almost 3am, and it took me shouting out of the window to quieter things down. The management did absolutely nothing to look after the well being of guests and just let these partying guests disturb everyone else. Very, very disappointed. Would not subject myself to this again, but if I did I would never take a courtyard facing room.

Room Tip: Never, ever accept a courtyard facing room.
1  Thank Greg W