“Nicely upgraded”

Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Newcastle, South Africa
“Nicely upgraded”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and there was no road access, due to the Munisipality of Durban working on some or other pipe system. I do like the retro look, and feel of the hotel, and stayed there , irrespective. Last night the road was open and the hotel is busy with an upgrade, even the service, which was quite poor previously, was better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Heilavh,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at The Three Cities Docklands Hotel.

Feedback from our valued guests is an important tool which we use to evaluate and understand our guest experience. We are glad to see that you have noted an improvement of the Docklands Hotel which we continuously striving to achieve and exceed our guests expectations.

Our current refurbishment that we undertaking is an exciting new chapter in the Three Cities Docklands Hotel's life, and we will be offering a new look and feel to our rooms, and just softening them for guest comfort.

Once again thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Durban.

Kind regards,
Andrew Merrill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed for six pleasant nights at Three Cities Dockside. The hotel has its own charm as a converted rail station or something like that. Renovations are continuing but I didn't find the disruptions inconvenient except for the loss of power and water my first day, but this disruption was beyond the hotel's control.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room is clean and well maintained but was idiosyncratic. I had a two-story room on the fourth floor overlooking the working harbour, and I had a nice view of boats moving around as I looked out the window from my bed while going to sleep. The room doesn't have a closet, which is inconvenient for a six-night stay, so I had to hang clothes in plain view. No dresser either. The room was noisy because of helicopters flying over the harbour. I am not sure why the helicopters are there but they sure are noisy. The telephone is on the lower floor of the guestroom, which is inconvenient: I would run downstairs to take the call but the staff usually had given up waiting for me to answer by that time.

The restaurant had good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and were quite accommodating to my vegan diet. The staff are polite and helpful and efficient. The restaurant decor has a nice old-world brick-style charm.

The hotel is a safe and pleasant ten-minute walk to uShaka marine park and the beach, and the ten kilometre or so beach walk is pleasant with easy access points to the unenticing yet still interesting Durban downtown. Safety is enabled by the ubiquitous security guards unobtrusively patrolling the beach and port area.

I recommend this hotel. Off the beaten track but has its own charm and the food is good and the location safe and convenient.

Room Tip: Top-floor room 4016 has an excellent view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bcsanders
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear BCSaunders,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us at The Three Cities Docklands Hotel.

Feedback from our valued guests is an important tool which we use to monitor and access of service offering and understand our guest experience.

Your positive comments have been sent through to our team for recognition of great service offered.

Your points that you noted regarding certain items that would have made your stay more pleasant and comfortable have been noted, and some have already been identified as part of our refurbishment which is currently underway.

Once again thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back at The Three Cities Docklands Hotel on your next visit to Sunny Durban.

Kind Regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 July 2014

On arrival the safe never worked. I was there on a business course and needed a place to store my laptop at least. The shelf in the room was broken and never repaired despite requests.

The booking was done via an agent and the agents system said there was a bar fridge, there isn't. The side light in the room kept falling down and when I asked for an additional desk chair (we were there on a course and needed to work at the desk every night) was told that each room only gets one.

They could not change out or repair the safe so they moved us. The new room faced the harbour and we had ship right outside the room with it's generator running the whole night with all it's lights blaring. The AC was not working and very cold with no extra blanket.

The next morning, the breakfast which is served from 06:30 was not operating until some time after we left. I had an appointment at 07:00 so I have no idea what time it came out.

The manager did phone and very kindly sent us a bottle of wine.

They moved us back the next night after "fixing" the safe. Well not really, a new one installed but not bolted down and the shelf still broken. The next night (Friday) we had the disco down the road running at full blast until 05:30 and the following night (Saturday) until 06:30. Sleep was very hard to come by.

The shower was blocked and despite several attempts to get it unblocked I gave up.

I think the staff (especially the manager and later the breakfast staff) tried but something's just can not be fixed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank your for your review of your recent stay with us at The Three Cities Docklands Hotel.

We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations and see to have dropped the ball in this instance, creating an un-relaxing and disappointing stay. We would like to offer our sincere apologies for this.

I will contact you directly to discuss your experience further.

Once again, our sincere apologies.

Andrew Merrill

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The food in the restaurant was good, and the room was clean and fairly warm (we stayed here in winter) but those were the only positives. Nobody helped us with our luggage when we arrived or left, and due to ongoing refurbishment there were gaps in the floor surface that weren't fun to get a suitcase over after hours of driving. We had to leave before breakfast as we had an early start (no pack up was offered) so can't comment on that. We arrived in the dark and the area didn't seem pleasant, the car park wasn't that easy to find. Apparently the dilapidated building fronts surrounding it are of historical importance - so if you are familiar with this you may appreciate it more than we did - our first thoughts were that it was just incredibly run down, in a very uncared for area! I wouldn't stay here again if I return to Durban.

Stayed July 2014
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Kaeleigh Jessica,

The Three Cities Docklands Hotel is built in the historical Durban Point Precinct. This location is filled with history and the National Monument Walls form the back drop for our parking area. These walls are favoured by local photographers and movie makers for their backdrops to many a scene.

Feedback from your our values guest is an important tool which we use to evaluate our guest experience. Your comments and review has been sent through to our respective department heads for review.

Once again thank you for choosing the Three Cities Docklands Hotel, and should you return back to Sunny Durban, do visit to see our renovated product.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I'm in love with Harbour, so when I saw the position near Ushaka and by the harbour I fall in love with the place.
But we arrived late ( after calling reception to let them know) and nobody was a the reception, and the door of the hotel closed ( we get in by the restaurant ).
We get a room at the 4th floor so they was a nice view of the harbour, but they was renovation going on and I tripped on the carpet floor and fall on the ground, they should leave a sign especially by night.
We didn't been able to open our room, the key was not working so I've been downstairs and ask for assistance, they gave me a 2 card without coming with me, and the second card was not working either.
On my way down to get some help, I met a staff member who open the door after struggling a couple of minutes with the lock.
When we get in I really liked the design but some flaws tell me than the hotel didn't been through renovation for a while, small stuff like damaged paint on the top of the bed or a light bulb which doesn't work on the African mask make the experience quite cheap ( and is not the case of the room price).
They was still hair on the bathroom floor ( easy to stop on black) but I liked the design of it ( except the worn out black curtain by the shower) which just confirm me on the low maintenance standard of the place.
They was coffee and tea but the kettle was not actually working properly, I've been waiting 20mn for the kettle to boil.

I was maybe expecting to much of this place, I was hoping about a trendy spot at the edge of the harbour, but I get a not so clean and maintained room with an harbour view.
So if you like harbour setting like me it's worth a visit, if you don't actually care I think they are better accommodation in Durban for the same price range.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear belegaer_cpt ,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at the Three Cities Docklands Hotel.

Reviews from our valued guests is an important tool in which we use to monitor our guest experience and your feedback will be passed through to the respective department heads for review and rectification.

We would like to apologise for the problems that you experienced during your stay.

As you mentioned the hotel is under going a major refurbishment at the current time, and we are looking forward to a new a fresh looking product later in the year.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Although this property is part of a large chain, it certainly does not have the quality service or property details it should. for the price of the rooms they should be much better. there are no alarm clocks in rooms, no iron or iron board, and lighting is mostly cheap desk lamps. Staff in restaurant are apathetic to your needs and do more socializing among themselves than serve guests. Room was not very clean and entire property was being renovated but that was not communicated. came back to room to see workers on balcony. FYI, balcony rooms do not have a private space, it is one open balcony so anyone can look into room. Three Cities sent me an email review that I returned with similar comments posted here. i did receive an email from hotel GM asking for details of my issues. Hopefully they take guests negative comments and correct issues.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear duricchio,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at The Three Cities Docklands Hotel.

Feedback from you our guests is an important tool in order to improve and exceed our guests expectations, and we appreciate your candid feedback. Your detailed correspondence with myself has been noted and passed through to the respective department heads.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed at the Docklands Hotel for a single night in April 2014 and the hotel was being renovated/painted during our stay. The lobby and restaurant areas are simple and welcoming but we were unable to see/view the rest of the facilities as they were hosting some sort of local "market". The renovations and market would have been nice to know when checking in.

The room (standard double) was functional but a little on the small side. We had a restful sleep, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The hotel is located at what used to be an industrial area which is going through a makeover so should you be traveling as a tourist it doesn't offer much of a view of the city. It is also directly across the Durban harbor which was my only problem; I was awoken by the ever so slight humming of engines. If you're a heavy sleeper this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Overall this hotel is low key, with good service and definitely value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
AndrewMerrill, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Purity N,

The Three Cities Docklands Hotel is located in the historical Durban Point Precinct, which abounds with History and is part of the exciting new zone.

Your feedback is important in order for us to constantly monitor and assess our guest service offering.

Thank you once again for your feedback.