“Superb Stay and Service”

The St. James on Venice
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Superb Stay and Service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I want to share my experience of excellent service and hospitality when staying at Saint James on Venice. My husband and myself arrived on a Thursday afternoon for a romantic weekend away from the kids. We were warmly greeted by Sunet the manageress, and she made us feel so welcome. The rooms were immaculate and we definitely felt like we were in a five star hotel. We were welcomed on Friday morning by Vicky, and again felt the warmth and hospitality that every hotel should have. We sat on the terrace and had the most delectable breakfast - the eggs benedict comes highly recommended, the best I have ever tasted. During our weekend stay we were always greeted by friendly staff and if we had any requests, there were absolutley no hesitations. I had the most amazing stay and was very sad to return back home to Joburg, it is not often that you find an establishment that is well run with good service and food. Thank-you for having us and we will back, that I promise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sunet P, General Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank-you so much for your kind feedback, I will be sure to pass it on to all. We look forward to having you back at The Saint James on Venice in the near future for another well deserved break.

Sunet and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed our second trip to South Africa. We stayed at St. James hotel and our experience was lovely. The room and the common areas were clean and beautiful, the service was excellent, the meals were tasty, the coffee was great, and the weather was perfect. (Ok, not their doing, I get it.)

My only pause came when strong remnants of apartheid reared their ugly heads in the form of uniforms. The black help (2) wore standard hospitality uniforms; the white help (3) didn't. There's probably an easy fix for this.

Everyone was polite and pleasant, and I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sunet P, General Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Good Day

Thank-you very much for your lovely review of our hotel, I remember your stay and we enjoyed having you here.

Regarding your comment about our uniforms; as the manager of the hotel I have decided not to wear a uniform for a couple of reasons. My staff approached me and asked me to buy them uniforms which we all sat together and decided on a suitable style. They felt that they could save money on wear and tear of their own clothes and wanted something smart, something I feel proud of. The other lady not wearing a uniform was a temp employee.

Thanks again for your lovely comments, we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The most stunning, relaxed and tranquil venue for any function. The staff were friendly and helpful. The service was prompt and of a high standard. The menu for the High Tea was excellent. Management staff are very professional and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michelle

Thanks for the lovely review, your set-up was def one of the most beautiful we have seen. The look on your daughter's face was priceless and I think she was completely surprised!

Please visit us again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

After five weeks of travelling on safari in Botswana and Zimbabwe, my wife and I stayed a few days at St James on Venice both before and after the Comrades race on June 1st. We could not have been better served. Apart from the location - away from the city centre - it provided excellent accommodation and service, and Melissa and the team went out of their way to ensure our young marathon runners could recuperate after their 89km ordeal. We have nothing but praise for all that was done to make our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms away from Venice Rd were quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Gallagher-clan

It was wonderful hosting you and the two ultra-marathon runners. Thank-you so much for taking the time to write this review we really appreciate it.

Please come visit us again soon!

Sunet and Team
Reviewed 2 June 2014

While searching the net for a High Tea venue to have my cousin’s baby shower, a very bold St James on Venice stood out. I phoned and made my booking straight away. I was helped by a very friendly Charity. I had booked their boardroom for my function. I was called the morning of baby shower by Melissa who suggested I have the function in the courtyard as it was a lovely day. So glad we did move it outside as the day was perfect. The guests had a lovely time and the high tea in the garden was perfect. The Service from the staff was excellent; they were so helpful and friendly and were only too happy to assist.
I would recommend a high tea for any function at St James on Venice.
Thanks again for a lovely day and for making” the mommy to be” day memorable”.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Mandi777
Good Day Mandi

Thank-you so much for your great feedback, I will be sure to pass it on. Please come again soon (this time with the little baby!)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I wanted to book this venue out for a ladies function. It looked so idyllic and a high tea seemed like the perfect activity for ladies. A friend of mine and myself decided to test out the venue before I made a booking for the fucntion.

Thank goodness I did. The high tea on the whole was dismal. We were ignored by the waitress, the tea was cold, the itmes looked like they were from the previous day. There was no soft background music for atmosphere, just a deathly silence.
It was almost like they had forgotten we made the booking for high tea and were scarmbling to make a plan in the last minute.

The only nice thing was that the Hotel is very pretty, it does however need instruction on service and catering.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Good Day

Thank-you for your valuable feedback; I apologize that you had a terrible experience. I would really like to prove to you that this is not our standard and invite you to contact me so that we can set a date and time in order for us to redeem ourselves. I truly am sorry that you found the entire experience so bad.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mangapwani, Zanzibar
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Ive been meaning to get to this review but time just hasnt been on my side. So as they say, better late than never. Im a tough act to please and I usually dont say much unless the service is exceptionally poor or in this case, exceptionally GREAT! I loved the beautiful romantic decor - its chic and elegant. The location is perfect and makes it easy to get in and around to where you need to be, whether it be meetings or catching up for a glass of wine with friends. The team are attentive and kind without being painful and awkward. Definitely try their version of eggs onassis, my second favourite in Durban. I hear their high teas are sensational so I will be popping in in June for a glass of champagne (or three) and a cupcake. Thanks again for a lovely stay. Cant wait to be back

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Good Day

Thank-you so much for your kind word, it is truly amazing and very gratifying to read feedback like this and my staff absolutely thrive at it. We in turn look forward to hosting you again.