“Comfortable place to stay near the stadium”
Review of Hotel 64 on Gordon

Hotel 64 on Gordon
Ranked #56 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“Comfortable place to stay near the stadium”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My rating is actually 3 1/2 (good), but there's no option between average & very good!

If you've never read a review by me: I write A LOT so I can give as much info as possible. Also, I rate the places I've stayed at according to the type of place they are - so if I were to give full marks, it would be for the TYPE of place - if it were full-marks for 3 star, it wouldn't be for 5-star. So, bear in mind!

I stayed here for a business trip in which we needed to be close to the stadium - it's about 5 mins drive away. My colleague & I both found it comfortable & it seemed clean & well-run. Reception staff were very friendly.

My room was clean & tidy, & the bed nice & comfy, bedding clean & crisp. The bathroom was very big - with loads of places to hang stuff up & put things down - always a problem in hotel bathrooms, so they get a big thumbs up on this one. Also, plenty of mirrors with good lighting (important for me as I need to apply makeup while being short-sighted!). Many hotels also fail on this point so well done!

Corners of bathroom appeared stained (I hope it was stained not dirt!) - the water & air in Durban can be pretty damaging to all metal fittings, & I've noticed before that it causes discolouration on bathroom fittings so this is probably why. The rest of the place looked very clean.

Decor of hotel is really cute - everything is grey, red & white - very modern. Grey-painted metal stairs give it a kind of 'on board a ship' look. Some areas could have done with a slight touch-up (hard-wearing areas like stairs), but otherwise it all looked nice. Be warned: I didn't see an escalator so if you have trouble walking you will need to ask for a ground-floor room. I also didn't notice a ramp or anything leading into the hotel, only stairs, so if that's a problem, I'd suggest calling beforehand - it might be that there's another entrance!

The place is not easy to find (we drove from King Shaka airport) even with help from the GPS. Many names in Durban are still being changed so be advised that your GPS may be outdated! However, it's in a nice quiet street & seemed safe. Parking is off the road.

We had to leave very early (before breakfast) & asked for a breakfast pack as we'd paid for B&B. They were adequate, containing an apple, a couple of strawberries (bit random, but a sweet idea), muesli with yoghurt, & 2 small (homebaked-looking) muffins. There is a kettle, & tea/coffee in the room.

My one complaint was that with concrete floors & metal stairs, it's not very quiet when trying to sleep. Someone was talking very loudly (which is fairly common in South Africa - for you foreign travellers!) & I could hear other noises, so it made it a bit annoying while trying to sleep. I think the noise came from downstairs at the dining room - I would suggest they put in place a door somehow between the sleeping areas & the dining room.

In short, a clean, comfortable place to stay & perfect for short-stay.

Room Tip: I was on the landing directly in front of the stairs (room 3) so would advise asking for maybe the n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JenD_17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Abidjan
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I started off not being impressed. I felt that the neighbourhood was a bit cold and there were no ramps at the entrance. But was soon charmed by Tara, who gave me a warm reception. I love the red and creamy-white design. They give you a "red carpet" service, literally.

I actually love the way the ladies that work there.. sort of bond with each other. It means the employer treats them well. Their food is great and cheap.

Room Tip: I will say to ask for a room to the left side of the reception. On the right side, is the driveway a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Rueil-Malmaison, France
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel during last Indaba in May. All was very good for my first trip in South Africa. The Staff is very helpfull and competent. The was big and with a good atmosphere.
Breakfast are wonderfull made on a open kitchen. Very French. Same with the restaurant for diner. I really enjoy my stay and highly recommend this hotel both for leasure or business.
A very nice remember.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paulrueil
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at this place on the following dates 02-03 May 2013.
Prices are very reasonable, nice rooms, very friendly staff members including the security guards.
They always welcome their guests with a bottle of red wine, that taste so nice.
They also serve nice T-bone and vegetables.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jabulani1981
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business. I was in a group of four and everyone seemed happy with the overall experience. The lunch and dinner were both very good and had a decent choice on both menus. As advertised, the hotel doesn't have a gym or pool so maybe not desirable for a family holiday. Centrally locate and close to Florida road Which has a plethora of bars and restaurants. Also close to the beach and a couple of golf courses. My only complaint would be with the wifi connection, although it is free it constantly drop out and requires you to re-enter the password again. Extremely annoying! The shower in my room was great but had no curtain which is a bit strange! Would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
, General Manager at Hotel 64 on Gordon, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Rosco92

Thank you for your valued feedback and comments.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to Hotel 64 on Gordon in the near future.

Kindest Regards

JHB
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel 25-27 March 2013 while there on business and I was worried about what I was going to find as I found the hotel on the net at last minute and very cheap I must say.We arrived and check in was very smooth.the rooms my colleagues and I stayed in were very clean.everything in the room worked and I like that they're energy efficient in that you cant leave your lights on when you're not in the room.room service was great, the breakfast was amazing considering its included in the room rate.the meals from the restaurant were also very tasty! I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place.the staff was very helpful and went out of their way to assist. even the porter who is really not a porter but he gladly helped with the luggage.I've recommended this place to my other colleagues and will definitely be back.oh by the way its literally 5 minutes drive from Durban ICC.Also has a small shopping centre within walking distance. Its in a lovely quite nighbourhood and has safe parking.If you dont want to stay in a big hotel and are looking for something cosy and quite then this is the place. they also offer free WIFI.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mantsho
, General Manager at Hotel 64 on Gordon, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Manthso

Thank you for your valued feedback and comments on Trip TripAdvisor.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to Hotel 64 on Gordon in the near future.

Kind Regards
Reviewed 1 April 2013

the beds are so luxurious, even had a private zen garden attached to our room. only issue was that there was no door to the shower just a curtain covering you, which was a little awkward at times when sharing a room with people. had my expensive camera and money and phones scattered around the room when people came into clean and absolutely nothing was touched.

• Stayed April 2013
, General Manager at Hotel 64 on Gordon, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and comments.
I am pleased to hear how you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 64 on Gordon in the near future.

Kind Regards