Coastlands Musgrave Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Durban(Durban)
US$152
US$172
US$160
  • Pool
The Concierge Boutique Bungalows(Durban)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$93
US$170
US$106
Agoda.com
US$52
US$47
  • Beachfront
All reviewshuge balconyno porkconference venueexcellent servicebuffet dinnerthe hotel is cleanroom was spaciousbeautiful hotelkeep up the good workhouse keepingreception staffexcellent staypleasant stayenjoyed my stayhome away from homeestablishmentworkshop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Coastlands on the Ridge in September 2011 as a last minute booking for 1 night. The room rate was approx R1000 icl breakfast and you would expect excellent service.

We checked in at 3am, after booking at 9pm. Our room was, firstly, not the room prepeared for us but for a couple with a baby. This was horrifying to walk into a hotel room with a huge baby cot next to the bed. We moved the cot to the corridor outside. 2ndly, they gave us a room without a shower and a bath tub, obviously requested for by the couple with the baby. This was extremely uncomfortable since we are accustomed to a shower.

3rdly, there was no soap or bath mat and we had to request this from housekeeping.

If it weren't for these unfortunate events, we would have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room is decorated with a boutique style, lovely huge balcony with a view across the city of Durban. The room was also very clean. Thick blockout curtains, which caused us to almost miss the checkout time! No fault of the hotel of course.

Upon checkout, we were given a refund for the night which was a good gesture from management, as well as a free night upon our return to Durban. The lady at reception took down my email address to email me the voucher for the free night.

In March this year, we decided to give the hotel a 2nd try and wanted to book a few nights, while utilising the 1 free night. Given that I had never received my voucher as promised, I had to then call and explain to somebody else the events of September 2011. Eventually the lady we initially dealt with found our details and granted us a free night. We were THEN told that the free night expires at the end of April. How can the hotel put an expiry to a free night when they never sent us details to begin with?? We therefore stayed the 1 free night and booked elsewhere for the rest of our trip. Overall, it is evident that this hotel lacks proper management. Its a lovely hotel, great location for access to durban central, malls and tourist attractions.

I generally do not complain about the nitty gritty but this was just unacceptable. A baby cot... No soap... Not bath mat... No correspondence.

Would be great if service levels could be improved at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I was on my to durban and i didnt know where to stay but my father suggested that i should check in the coastland hotel on the market street,it was fully booked.When i got there they referred me to the coastlands on the ridge,the reception was very helpful to cause were not familiar with durban and we checkin in the Room 404 and Room 417 in september 2011.Damn the rooms were fantanstic with the great view of the CBD and Habour,Ocean,

Room Tip: Always take the ones with the balcony cause you can have nice breakfast and quiet dinner with the view of the ocean annd others
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neverland1987
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The best feature of Coastlands on the Ridge is it's huge balconies on upper floors that give a panoramic view of Durban coastline. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Internet has one time access fee but no usage limit after that. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The restaurant offers limited fair for international palette. There's no pool. I enjoyed staying over here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Sundeep1211
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We arrived looking for two rooms as we were very unhappy with our guesthouse. We were welcomed warmly by the receptionist who arranged for us to see two rooms. We had made our minds up as soon as the door was opened!!!
My room 513 at the back of the hotel, quiet no elevator noise etc a spacious room with two single beds pushed together. Good beds, very important to me, with comfortable good quality pillows and bedding. Initially the drain in bathroom smelt but as soon as water was run disappeared. VERY CLEAN down to the decorative pillows on bed.
Plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. It you dont eat biscuits they keep piling up!!! good quality too.
The STAFF are all smiling, friendly and bend over backwards to assist you. The receptionist who first welcomed us to the hotel was lovely she as well as the other staff really make this hotel.
One of my favourite places was the outside patio area where I had my coffee, lovely comfortable sofas. Very good coffee.
One day my friend and I were sitting having coffee outside wrapped up and the directors of the hotel asked us if we were warm enough..............now thats service!!!!!!!!!!!! They have gas heaters which we did not use.
Full Breakfast was included in price R850.
We had a buffet meal in restaurant which we were happy with.
I think most of the guests were business people did not notice any tourists but would highly recommend. Excellent for solo travellers especially women.
Thank you to everyone at Coastlands On The Ridge.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank lazybauckland
Owner R, Manager at Coastlands Musgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, It gives me great pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel. We take great pride in the work we do and I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your valued support.

I look forward to welcoming you to the Coastlands Musgrave Hotel once again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Brand new business hotel by a mall north of Durban decorated to a fairly high spec but in very dubious taste. The rooms are quite large.
Seems to be run by an untrained skeleton crew. No wifi in most of the rooms and no cables for the LAN which the staff insist doesn't work anyway. Kitchen closed the night I was there. A rather tired buffet or sandwiches at the bar. A chees and tomato panini was served cold with oven chips.

• Stayed: May 2011