“Could Have been Better”

Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Manipal
“Could Have been Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Breakfast buffet, an excellent Customer Manager and a large enough room with a balcony... I am afraid theer is nothing else worth mentioning about this property. Try and avoild lunch and dinner here. There is an apology of a bar. The folks at the front desk are inadequately trained leading to long waits at the desk at check in and check out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 8th to 10th October in their deluxe room. On reaching I kept my money in the room safe and duly locked same with my key. To my shock when I opened the safe with the same key before check out a amount of $400 was missing from the locker. I explained the problem to the reception but did not get any positive response. I ultimately left after giving my email id but never even heard back. I travel almost 200 days in a year and have never had such a experience as obviously the locker was opened with the master key. I hope other guests would take care staying at this property as even the safes are not safe !!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Amitgarg2013

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We booked in on the 13th of August 2013 and were given two rooms. When we walked in we thought that the stay will be very nice.....but then start the episode of bad experience.
The morning of the 14th we reported the faults at front desk/reception:
1) Shower drain blocked in both rooms, the one window in my room cannot close, and it is broken.
2) There was no TV remote in either room and my room had a bad cigarette smell.
3) There were no coffee mugs in my room, only tea cups.
4) The whole night there was loud talking going on. I was unable to determine where in the yard these people were.
5) The second room had a lock on the door that keeps going off as soon as the door opens.
On our return from the Expo late the afternoon of the 14th ....we were told by the staff at reception/front desk, that they have reported the faults but it was not repaired or fixed.
This swift report from front desk made me wonder if this Hotel does have a maintenance team. Surely they could have fixed the door or put some coffee mugs in my room.
We then asked to be moved to other rooms and the response…….they cannot move us because they have no rooms prepared.
So after having dinner in the hotel, we went to our rooms with an unhappy attitude. It is unacceptable for a hotel which claims to have 4 stars, not to be able to accommodate us.
After returning from the Expo the next afternoon 15th August 2013, we were met with the following news at the front desk…..”you need to move because we want to fix the mistakes and maintenance did manage to unblock the shower drains”
We were happy to move and went up to our rooms to pack our bags. While in the room it strike me that I did unblock the shower drain myself that morning and went to the other room to check that drain……stil blocked.
So we moved anyway stil suspecting that the hotel don’t have a maintenance team.
Well my new room was just above the kitchen drain....well ....you guessed it …..the smell was bad, bad & bad-bad.
I knew I cannot ask them to move the drain. So I had to keep the windows closed.
The towel rail at the washbasin was in the washbasin….broken. This I report it to the housekeeping ladies in the room, still busy making my bed.
“I will send the maintenance team to come and fix the rail” was the response of the supervisor.
I am stil waiting. Nobody came. My suspicion confirmed…no maintenance team.
We went out to the Expo function and returned around 11 o’clock. After a shower with broken towel rail in the bathroom I was in the bed by 11h30. The loud talking was now loader. A quick look out the bathroom window and there they were, the same loud talking crowd of the previous two nights. It seems as if all the nightshift staff was having a meeting outside the dress up quarters.
The meeting was not in an orderly fashion, rather in a unruly lets-all-talk gathering.
I phone the front desk to ask to speak to the manager regarding this noise. He promised he will sort out the employees and quiet them down.
Well at 4h30 I opened the bathroom window and yelled at the staff. The ladies ran into the quarters and the men hide behind the pillars. Definitely a sign that they know they are in the wrong.
The morning of the 16th we booked out, very unhappy guests.
Well it is obvious that the management of this hotel pretend they care but actually they don’t. Maybe it is because they just want to have a JOB!!
Be sure to prepare yourself for an unpleasant stay, if you still want to book at this Hotel Group.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel. If you are booked by your employer then, Don't accept a room at th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jan d
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

did 2 stays there that were arranged by travel agent. the website is very misleading as standard rooms are small and view etc limited if any. restaurant - ask for the a la carte as this is quite good. buffet is a buffet. note there is no pork served here so no bacon at breakfast. avoid room ending in 21 as you will here the central aircon all the time. it has lots of false glitz which can be a bit cheap looking

Room Tip: not ending in 21
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I booked a surprise afternoon couples treatment at the spa and overnight stay at the Coastlands on the Ridge for my husbands birthday. Well it was pure bliss!! The spa treatment was good, but our room was magnificent, the luxury of our suite was unbelievable! On return to our room after the treatment there was a cheese platter and wine awaiting us in our room, as arranged by the GM Andre v Wyk. The night's fine Indian cuisine buffet and music on the patio was just the way to celebrate his birthday! We were so disappointed that we only book for one night stay and really didn't want to go home!! well done on make a normal birthday a very special occasion!

Room Tip: The suite on the 5th floor is just amazing!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wilnaventer
Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Today I went to the woman in business network breakfast at Coastlands, and what a lovely experience, the staff and presentation were exquisite and overall very professional and friendly. The food I would rate as 5 stars with a variety of flavours available in the cooked breakfast buffet, as well as fresh fuits, beautifully presented croissants, muesli and yogurt garnished tastefully and creatively, with stemmed cherries and shavings of sugared orange zest.

Tables were clean and beautifully presented with flowers and clean cutlery. Well done to Coastlands you treated us really well and your service excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

the rooms are extremely small.My wife requested an iron and ironing board for 5 minutes and we were told that they do not provide it for safety reasons.on walking out of the room the next door room was open and lo and behold those guests had an iron and ironing board.the management seem to select which guests to provide services to.on the plus side the bed and pillows were comfortable and the breakfast was not too bad

Room Tip: if you have to stay in this hotel,ask for a suite
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business