Coastlands Musgrave Hotel
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
SUN1 Durban(Durban)
Average 3/5
    All reviewshuge balconyno porkconference venueexcellent servicebuffet dinnerthe hotel is cleanroom was spaciousbeautiful hotelkeep up the good workhouse keepingreception staffexcellent staypleasant stayenjoyed my stayhome away from homeestablishmentworkshop
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 16 December 2013

Went to coastlands for breakfast .the menu was small ,not a variety one would expect for a large hotel. .staff complained a lot about various patrons and were sum what loud . Had to wait for the chef to come and make the eggs . Biscuits and bread a bit stale . Interior needs some doing up

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
    1  Thank Suren B
    Reviewed 22 October 2013

Breakfast buffet, an excellent Customer Manager and a large enough room with a balcony... I am afraid theer is nothing else worth mentioning about this property. Try and avoild lunch and dinner here. There is an apology of a bar. The folks at the front desk are inadequately trained leading to long waits at the desk at check in and check out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
    Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 8th to 10th October in their deluxe room. On reaching I kept my money in the room safe and duly locked same with my key. To my shock when I opened the safe with the same key before check out a amount of $400 was missing from the locker. I explained the problem to the reception but did not get any positive response. I ultimately left after giving my email id but never even heard back. I travel almost 200 days in a year and have never had such a experience as obviously the locker was opened with the master key. I hope other guests would take care staying at this property as even the safes are not safe !!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
    4  Thank Amitgarg2013
    Reviewed 3 September 2013

We booked in on the 13th of August 2013 and were given two rooms. When we walked in we thought that the stay will be very nice.....but then start the episode of bad experience.
    The morning of the 14th we reported the faults at front desk/reception:
    1) Shower drain blocked in both rooms, the one window in my room cannot close, and it is broken.
    2) There was no TV remote in either room and my room had a bad cigarette smell.
    3) There were no coffee mugs in my room, only tea cups.
    4) The whole night there was loud talking going on. I was unable to determine where in the yard these people were.
    5) The second room had a lock on the door that keeps going off as soon as the door opens.
    On our return from the Expo late the afternoon of the 14th ....we were told by the staff at reception/front desk, that they have reported the faults but it was not repaired or fixed.
    This swift report from front desk made me wonder if this Hotel does have a maintenance team. Surely they could have fixed the door or put some coffee mugs in my room.
    We then asked to be moved to other rooms and the response…….they cannot move us because they have no rooms prepared.
    So after having dinner in the hotel, we went to our rooms with an unhappy attitude. It is unacceptable for a hotel which claims to have 4 stars, not to be able to accommodate us.
    After returning from the Expo the next afternoon 15th August 2013, we were met with the following news at the front desk…..”you need to move because we want to fix the mistakes and maintenance did manage to unblock the shower drains”
    We were happy to move and went up to our rooms to pack our bags. While in the room it strike me that I did unblock the shower drain myself that morning and went to the other room to check that drain……stil blocked.
    So we moved anyway stil suspecting that the hotel don’t have a maintenance team.
    Well my new room was just above the kitchen drain....well ....you guessed it …..the smell was bad, bad & bad-bad.
    I knew I cannot ask them to move the drain. So I had to keep the windows closed.
    The towel rail at the washbasin was in the washbasin….broken. This I report it to the housekeeping ladies in the room, still busy making my bed.
    “I will send the maintenance team to come and fix the rail” was the response of the supervisor.
    I am stil waiting. Nobody came. My suspicion confirmed…no maintenance team.
    We went out to the Expo function and returned around 11 o’clock. After a shower with broken towel rail in the bathroom I was in the bed by 11h30. The loud talking was now loader. A quick look out the bathroom window and there they were, the same loud talking crowd of the previous two nights. It seems as if all the nightshift staff was having a meeting outside the dress up quarters.
    The meeting was not in an orderly fashion, rather in a unruly lets-all-talk gathering.
    I phone the front desk to ask to speak to the manager regarding this noise. He promised he will sort out the employees and quiet them down.
    Well at 4h30 I opened the bathroom window and yelled at the staff. The ladies ran into the quarters and the men hide behind the pillars. Definitely a sign that they know they are in the wrong.
    The morning of the 16th we booked out, very unhappy guests.
    Well it is obvious that the management of this hotel pretend they care but actually they don’t. Maybe it is because they just want to have a JOB!!
    Be sure to prepare yourself for an unpleasant stay, if you still want to book at this Hotel Group.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel. If you are booked by your employer then, Don't accept a room at the back of the hotel.
    • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
    3  Thank Jan d
    Reviewed 3 September 2013

did 2 stays there that were arranged by travel agent. the website is very misleading as standard rooms are small and view etc limited if any. restaurant - ask for the a la carte as this is quite good. buffet is a buffet. note there is no pork served here so no bacon at breakfast. avoid room ending in 21 as you will here the central aircon all the time. it has lots of false glitz which can be a bit cheap looking

Room Tip: not ending in 21
    • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business