“Service makes it terrible” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coastlands Musgrave Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Coastlands Musgrave Hotel
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Durban
Durban, South Africa
“Service makes it terrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I booked in for my husbands birthday and was told about a special were they organise chocs candles etc and decorate the room... Was phoning them everyday and they kept saying they would get back to me. Night before they phone and demand that i pay for it right away and not when i arrive. I explained that the banks are closed ( 7pm on a sat night) and that they have my credit card details so obv i wudnt not pay. Eventually they agreed . I was told i would get candles , a flower bouquet , a bottle of monis , a three tier choc package with ferreros and rose petals on the floor. When i arrived , there was a flower bouquet , a slab of choc , a small grapetiser and 1 candle in the bathroom.. Eventually they found some dried up yellow roses and put on the floor.. The manager was SO unhelpful. He was not there at the moment and refused to call me back. When i did manage to get hold of him a few days later , he was SCREAMING at me and refused to listen and said for the amount i paid (R500) i would only get a monis and everything else is extra because of his good nature... Who would pay That amount for a bottle of monis?? Which i didnt even get mind u. When i tried talking he would say 'okay bye contact me via email' ... Wow navin/ravin (didn wana be clear on his name) what happened to service? It was not even for free. I paid for it! So sad when people steal openly from you.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank zaakira07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Coastlands on the Ridge hotel in Durban. At first, we were so excited because the pictures on the site were amazing! The room looked great, the view and the ambiance.

We were very disappointed when we checked in. The room was extremely small and our view? The emergency staircase.

We asked to change rooms as we were unhappy and even were prepared to pay more. The receptionist had told us that they were fully booked but as soon as something comes available then she will let us know. Through the entire stay, no one checked on us and no one reported back to say if there was another room available or there wasn't.

To top it off, on arrival at breakfast, we find out that the hotel is strictly halaal. I checked their website again and there was no stipulation that the hotel was strictly halaal.The breakfast was disappointing and it really didn't feel like a holiday at all.

My boyfriend and I are quite optimistic people so we did make the most of it. We just wish that we didn't feel like we paid for something we didn't want. We felt robbed.

Room Tip: Ask about the view! The last thing you want is drawing your curtains to find the staircase as your v...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kailene

Travellers are raving about these Durban hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Please listen to me with caution whatever you are reading about this hotel its true
internet miss leading, noisy cant sleep in evenings, pool hahaha thats a joke, breakfast same day in day out no change o yes found hair in one of there dishes
staff is funny enough friendly mangement tells you they sorry and undetstand
You paying for a 4 star hotel not a 1 star that is my arguement
wont come or recommend anybody

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Aasif P
Coastlands_Marketing, Public Relations Manager at Coastlands Musgrave Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Good afternoon

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced and assure you that your review has been taken seriously and addressed at executive level.

We strive to deliver facilities, products and service that exceed guest expectations. Your comments will assist us tremendously to improve our offering and we hope that you will visit us again in the near future to experience hospitality and facilities that is expected at a four star hotel.

Yours in Hospitality
Andre-B van Wyk
Group Marketing and Sales Manager
Coastlands Hotels and Resorts
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Went to coastlands for breakfast .the menu was small ,not a variety one would expect for a large hotel. .staff complained a lot about various patrons and were sum what loud . Had to wait for the chef to come and make the eggs . Biscuits and bread a bit stale . Interior needs some doing up

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Suren B
Manipal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Breakfast buffet, an excellent Customer Manager and a large enough room with a balcony... I am afraid theer is nothing else worth mentioning about this property. Try and avoild lunch and dinner here. There is an apology of a bar. The folks at the front desk are inadequately trained leading to long waits at the desk at check in and check out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 8th to 10th October in their deluxe room. On reaching I kept my money in the room safe and duly locked same with my key. To my shock when I opened the safe with the same key before check out a amount of $400 was missing from the locker. I explained the problem to the reception but did not get any positive response. I ultimately left after giving my email id but never even heard back. I travel almost 200 days in a year and have never had such a experience as obviously the locker was opened with the master key. I hope other guests would take care staying at this property as even the safes are not safe !!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Amitgarg2013
Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We booked in on the 13th of August 2013 and were given two rooms. When we walked in we thought that the stay will be very nice.....but then start the episode of bad experience.
The morning of the 14th we reported the faults at front desk/reception:
1) Shower drain blocked in both rooms, the one window in my room cannot close, and it is broken.
2) There was no TV remote in either room and my room had a bad cigarette smell.
3) There were no coffee mugs in my room, only tea cups.
4) The whole night there was loud talking going on. I was unable to determine where in the yard these people were.
5) The second room had a lock on the door that keeps going off as soon as the door opens.
On our return from the Expo late the afternoon of the 14th ....we were told by the staff at reception/front desk, that they have reported the faults but it was not repaired or fixed.
This swift report from front desk made me wonder if this Hotel does have a maintenance team. Surely they could have fixed the door or put some coffee mugs in my room.
We then asked to be moved to other rooms and the response…….they cannot move us because they have no rooms prepared.
So after having dinner in the hotel, we went to our rooms with an unhappy attitude. It is unacceptable for a hotel which claims to have 4 stars, not to be able to accommodate us.
After returning from the Expo the next afternoon 15th August 2013, we were met with the following news at the front desk…..”you need to move because we want to fix the mistakes and maintenance did manage to unblock the shower drains”
We were happy to move and went up to our rooms to pack our bags. While in the room it strike me that I did unblock the shower drain myself that morning and went to the other room to check that drain……stil blocked.
So we moved anyway stil suspecting that the hotel don’t have a maintenance team.
Well my new room was just above the kitchen drain....well ....you guessed it …..the smell was bad, bad & bad-bad.
I knew I cannot ask them to move the drain. So I had to keep the windows closed.
The towel rail at the washbasin was in the washbasin….broken. This I report it to the housekeeping ladies in the room, still busy making my bed.
“I will send the maintenance team to come and fix the rail” was the response of the supervisor.
I am stil waiting. Nobody came. My suspicion confirmed…no maintenance team.
We went out to the Expo function and returned around 11 o’clock. After a shower with broken towel rail in the bathroom I was in the bed by 11h30. The loud talking was now loader. A quick look out the bathroom window and there they were, the same loud talking crowd of the previous two nights. It seems as if all the nightshift staff was having a meeting outside the dress up quarters.
The meeting was not in an orderly fashion, rather in a unruly lets-all-talk gathering.
I phone the front desk to ask to speak to the manager regarding this noise. He promised he will sort out the employees and quiet them down.
Well at 4h30 I opened the bathroom window and yelled at the staff. The ladies ran into the quarters and the men hide behind the pillars. Definitely a sign that they know they are in the wrong.
The morning of the 16th we booked out, very unhappy guests.
Well it is obvious that the management of this hotel pretend they care but actually they don’t. Maybe it is because they just want to have a JOB!!
Be sure to prepare yourself for an unpleasant stay, if you still want to book at this Hotel Group.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel. If you are booked by your employer then, Don't accept a room at th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business