“Back for more!”

Ranked #4 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Back for more!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After bringing a team of ten visitors to Mackaya Bella for five nights in March 2013, I returned with a team of six for five nights in March 2014. What a pleasure! Louise and her staff saw to wonderful breakfasts for us, including a boxed snack when we had early road-travel. The grounds were as quiet as previously (easy to sleep at night), the pool fantastic, the rooms and shared areas clean as could be, bathrooms comfortable. Air-conditioning in the main building was excellent, and some on my time enjoyed the added privacy of the unairconditioned room adjacent to the pool (equipped with fans). The grounds have a secured fence, and the locale is rather close to the university, which was of prime importance to us. I’m submitting some photos from the trip, including some panoramics that I hope show properly in the viewer. We hope to return next year!

Room Tip: Just mention whether you seek air conditioning or not.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Jon and Louise were wonderful hosts. Room & bathroom were spacious and clean. Good wifi, kitchen and lounge area. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained with a swimming pool. Breakfasts were great too! Louise and Jon were very helpful with advice before getting there and while staying there too. Felt very safe there throughout my stay. By the end of the three months they knew my habits very well, which made their hospitality that extra special! I would definitely recommend staying here and look forward to returning! Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is one of the best B&Bs we have ever stayed in. The rooms were lovely and clean and contained all the things you need for a pleasant stay. There was a great laundry (really helpful when you've been on the road awhile) and the Wi-Fi was excellent. Our breakfasts on the veranda were delicious and Jon and Louise were delightful, friendly and helpful hosts. The house and gardens were also pleasant and located in a safe, quiet area of Durban within walking distance of the University. They also had off street parking for our hire cars. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We had the large bedroom at the front of the house - very spacious and pleasant
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Edenvale
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The warm welcome we received upon arrival at this charming guesthouse was a breath of fresh air! Louise and John went out of their way to assist us with additional arrangements to make our visit to Durban a very special one. I highly recommend this guesthouse to any traveler.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Bathurst, South Africa
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I felt that the management at Mackaya Bella took care to look after my needs and to make my stay in Durban secure. The breakfasts were excellent and the service unobtrusive and full. A delightful indigenous garden and a relaxing salt water pool helped to make my stay enjoyable. .

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

South Africa
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I needed overnight accommodation and the wonderful owners booked in into the small self catering flat. On arrival I found they had upgraded me to a beautiful, luxurious room! The room was spotless with all the extras I could imagine; kettle, alarm clock and fridge! The property is lovely and clean, in a safe area. Although I did not stay for breakfast it certainly smelt good! Definitely on my list should I need another overnight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Johannesburg
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My four night stay Mackaya Bella was blissful. The small garden surrounding the charming house adds to a feeling of seclusion. The vibe is quiet, relaxed and comfortable. Louise made me feel immediately at home - instant contentment. My room had everything I needed - wireless connection was good. Breakfast on the deck was delicious. Good location in an established gracious area with really nice restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Flat at the pool was private and had its own kichenette
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business