“BOOKED FOR NINE NIGHTS LEFT AFTER TWO NIGHTS”
Review of Fiddlers Rest

Fiddlers Rest
and 1 more site!
Fiddlers Rest
Ranked #115 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
auckland
“BOOKED FOR NINE NIGHTS LEFT AFTER TWO NIGHTS”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Rosetta House recommended Fiddlers Rest so despite the fact there was no reviews I was confident it would be good.
From the road I immediately had second thoughts No 11 blends into the wall and fiddlers rest sign is extremely small there is no indication at the entrance that it is a Guesthouse, however No 9 is clearly displayed so made it easier to find.
My bag was carried to my room which had a seperate entrance I was given a key and remote for the gate.
The room was VERY dated ghastly furniture real cheap and 'old looking'. Set of drawers that were not easy to open and close. A noisy fridge which I switched off at night. The bed was awful I felt every spring and looking at the mattress you could tell it was very cheap. Duvet cover had seen better days buttons just about to fall off. Sofa in room with armrest covers with holes. Wine glasses in room were dirty. Thick black dust around pictures on wall I could go on and on.
In contrast good quality blackout curtains and a modern bathroom which was very clean with a very powerful shower.
Breakfast was very good.
Initially I thought I was just being fussy but when my friend arrived 2 days later and was shown to her room she confirmed that she was not staying.
The owner Lilian was shocked when we informed her we were leaving I had paid in full and I was happy to lose all my money however she did refund 1900 Rand, my friend had paid 50 % which she obviously did not get back. We escaped to Coastlands on the ridge (see review) Which was bliss.
Lilian informed us this had never happened before and that she had always had glowing reviews ( She did not show them to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
My room at fiddlers was R750 per night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lazybauckland
Tiffany63, Owner at Fiddlers Rest, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
This Guest was charged for 4 days and lost her deposit because she was booked in from 15 June and only let us know at 11.30 pm that she would only be arriving the following day. She arrived the next morning and left on the evening of 18 June 2011 after the arrival of her friend who stated that she only ever stayed in Hotels and did not like guest houses. The guest then told me that she found the bed uncomfortable and I was absolutely astonished because the previous day when I greeted her at breakfast she had told me that she had slept like a log. What amazes me is that I had a fair amount of interaction with this particular guest while giving directions, serving breakfast etc and at no stage during her 3 day stay here did she give me any indication that she was in any way dissatisfied with anything.
I do conced that I discovered some dust on top of the pictures & apogize for this oversight. This guest stayed here at the same time as the person who wrote our first review.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)