“Fiddlers Rest”

Fiddlers Rest
Fiddlers Rest
Ranked #113 of 256 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is a beautiful and charming boutique bed and breakfast in a lovely part of Morning side of Durban. We really enjoyed our stay here. The owners came out to greet our party (we were a group of 6 demanding girls) upon arrival. The place is full of lovely things and full of character that the owners have been collecting for many years. The place is also spotless! Everywhere was nicely furnished and cosy and personal. There are nice set of books were available for us to swap as well (we exchanged one of our books for the traditional Elephant Tales). Breakfast was a delight. The owners were very understanding when it came to cancelling our second night as we wanted to head to Cape Town a bit earlier than we had planned. It was also lovely to hear the owner play guitar and I wish we had more time in Durban as the owner is also a famous musician. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband, my sister and I stayed in the garden cottage at Fiddler's Rest from November 22 to December 4, 2012. The rooms were clean and well appointed, with modern amenities and well-kept grounds. The host was very pleasant and helpful. The only problem we experienced was with the Internet and cable service.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Having read lazybaucklan’s review I had to comment on this place. Having grown up in the area and now living in London I make sure I stay here when returning on business or holiday. This is clearly a family business and run with love and attention not the usual slap dash B&B attitude. The food is great, the location is great and close to everything Durban has to offer in my opinion and I like the rooms and although they do vary a bit in size they have a high standard throughout. The have been dated at times but have been refreshed three times or more over the years I have been coming here. It’s not as swish as Coastlands on the Ridge but it’s less than half the price in peak season. Also at Coastlands you would be dreaming if you thought you could get a refund from them no matter what you room was like or what happened.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Fiddlers Rest is what it says it is - a luxurious and spacious bed and breakfast. We were a party of six adults and two children. Our suite of family rooms were large and well equipped with coffee/tea making facilities, a small fridge, hairdryer etc. They were spotless and charming with comfortable beds and crisp linen. Our hosts Tony and Lillian were charming and couldn't have been more helpful advising us on things to do in Durban, the best beaches to visit and where to buy the devine coffee they served each day. The breakfasts were delicious, with fresh fruit and a healthy cooked option too. Although it was winter time we used the very clean but somewhat cold swimming pool - the pool edge was plenty big to accommodate our large party. Our hosts invited us, on our last evening, to use the BBQ facilities to entertain family and friends and we were delighted that Lillian and Tony could join us too for our farewell meal! I would highly recommend the Fiddlers Rest!

Room Tip: The family suite of 2 adjoining rooms highly recommended.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Fiddlers Rest describes itself as an English style mansion which is odd as it reminds me of a 70's detached built from face brick. The owners provided a very nice breakfast each day and were very hospitable so you can't fault the service.
Unfortunately the standard of accommodation makes it feel cold, outdated and functional rather than a welcoming and luxurious place to stay which you would expect for the prices they charge.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Jacksoc01
Tiffany63, Owner at Fiddlers Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Firstly we wish to thank you for taking the time and effort to give your personal review of our establishment.
We are indeed fortunate to have one of the most sought after addresses in Durban - this area is zoned exclusive resitential. We also do pride ourselves on maintaining a high level of service and cleanliness.
Our house was built in 1951 and the half size bricks were made especially for this house which makes it quite unique in Durban. We have purposefully chosen good quality wooden furniture and antiques as well as original art works which we feel is in keeping with this magnificent house.

We are sorry that you felt the cottage lacked warmth and we are probably guilty of focussing too much on keeping things cool in our long, hot summers and we do admit that the granite kitchen tops and tiled floors can be a bit cold in the winter. We intend to remedy this by making the cottage cosier and more luxurious.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed 10 nights in the Fiddler's rest and would highly recommend it. Each morning we were served a delicious breakfast, including a lovely bowl of fresh fruit and a cooked breakfast. The room was extemely clean and comfortable.The accomodation felt very safe and we had our own entrance to the room, with a lovely patio to sit in the sunshine in the afternoon. The owners,Tony and Lilian were very welcoming and very helpful and friendly.
The owners were very helpful in arranging a reliable taxi company , when we needed to travel to Durban centre or to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hilary051
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Rosetta House recommended Fiddlers Rest so despite the fact there was no reviews I was confident it would be good.
From the road I immediately had second thoughts No 11 blends into the wall and fiddlers rest sign is extremely small there is no indication at the entrance that it is a Guesthouse, however No 9 is clearly displayed so made it easier to find.
My bag was carried to my room which had a seperate entrance I was given a key and remote for the gate.
The room was VERY dated ghastly furniture real cheap and 'old looking'. Set of drawers that were not easy to open and close. A noisy fridge which I switched off at night. The bed was awful I felt every spring and looking at the mattress you could tell it was very cheap. Duvet cover had seen better days buttons just about to fall off. Sofa in room with armrest covers with holes. Wine glasses in room were dirty. Thick black dust around pictures on wall I could go on and on.
In contrast good quality blackout curtains and a modern bathroom which was very clean with a very powerful shower.
Breakfast was very good.
Initially I thought I was just being fussy but when my friend arrived 2 days later and was shown to her room she confirmed that she was not staying.
The owner Lilian was shocked when we informed her we were leaving I had paid in full and I was happy to lose all my money however she did refund 1900 Rand, my friend had paid 50 % which she obviously did not get back. We escaped to Coastlands on the ridge (see review) Which was bliss.
Lilian informed us this had never happened before and that she had always had glowing reviews ( She did not show them to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
My room at fiddlers was R750 per night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lazybauckland
Tiffany63, Owner at Fiddlers Rest, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

This Guest was charged for 4 days and lost her deposit because she was booked in from 15 June and only let us know at 11.30 pm that she would only be arriving the following day. She arrived the next morning and left on the evening of 18 June 2011 after the arrival of her friend who stated that she only ever stayed in Hotels and did not like guest houses. The guest then told me that she found the bed uncomfortable and I was absolutely astonished because the previous day when I greeted her at breakfast she had told me that she had slept like a log. What amazes me is that I had a fair amount of interaction with this particular guest while giving directions, serving breakfast etc and at no stage during her 3 day stay here did she give me any indication that she was in any way dissatisfied with anything.
I do conced that I discovered some dust on top of the pictures & apogize for this oversight. This guest stayed here at the same time as the person who wrote our first review.