“Gourmet food, small menu”
Review of Aubergine Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Durban, South Africa
“Gourmet food, small menu”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is an upmarket restaurant, where you can expect to find things like "red wine reductions", etc. The menu is fairly limited, so I would find out what's on the menu before going. Not really kid friendly, but the food is high quality and special. Small intimate space with a lovely atmosphere.

Visited May 2011

“Up and down”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The menu does not seem to vary from month to month and though some meals have been wonderful, the Hanger steak I had there recently was inedible and the staff were not interested.

Durban, South Africa
“one of my top 3 restaurant's worldwide”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Award winning chef Chris black heads up this eatery, fine dining in a relaxed setting, be prepared to be waited on by very well trained staff, love the way he changes his menu ever couple of months, tip try the calamari starter, not always on the menu but he has it on every few months and his steak top notch! His wine list is varied and lots to choose from.

• Visited February 2012
South Africa
“Not what I expected!”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I had reservations for Saturday,3rd March for 2 tables of 2.confirmed with the gentleman at 2pm on the day!when we arrived,myhusband our daughter and her friend,we were told that we had booked a table for 2 only.As the second table had the same cell no,they thought the booking had been duplicated so our table was given out.Assumptions,assumptions!Well they did give us 2 tables after I insisted..My husband's seat was filthy,the service was slow.The seat was covered in old food!No attempt was made to rectify this.The excuse,short staffed.The special steak did not indicate that there was bacon on the steak.The meal had to be sent back due to an Allergy to pork.Our waiter tried to be helpful but overall the service was dismal.Very unlikewaht we had we experienced on our 3 visits previously.The lady next to us returned her pasta ,no charge!!! I was hestitant to write a review but when one considers Aubergine's prices and the expensive wine list,I believe the poor service is inexcusable.Chefs not being aware of their menu is also short sighted.Poor hygiene standards is shocking!Restaurant is also very noisy

• Visited March 2012
Kloof
“Staff undertrained, restaurant unhygenic, and over priced”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Went there and firstly had dog hair all over the seat, my wife allergies started working up.
The staff didn't have much knowledge on wine or the food they are serving, first time i went was last year just after Valentines day and we loved it, we went 3 times soon after and we noticed by May/June thing were getting worse and worse that we didn't go back till now.
The prices are ridiculous and wine over priced for SA.

• Visited March 2012