“No impressed with the food...toilets were filthy.”
Review of Craft Trattoria - CLOSED

Craft Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2013

When a restaurant has a good atmosphere and good service its a terrible shame when the food is just not up to scratch. I had to send my Burger - yes my burger back twice before it was cooked well done - why can't a chef get that right - not too hard you'd have thought? You can't serve processed meat red - it has to be cooked as i requested. It was also shame for the waiter who was just as frustrated as i was to get it right. Come on chef...
We have tried Craft 3 times each with a fail....and that's a strike cos we ain't going back.
p.s. toilets were filthy

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I have been to Craft 6 times and the only time I have left feeling remotely satisfied is when I ordered a burger. Every other time I continually had food issues. First time: proportion size and lack of flavor of the gambero pasta dish. Next time, I ordered the seafood pasta in a bag, again no flavour. Went back again and tried the GR Mac & Cheese - bland, no breadcrumbs. Next couple times I stuck to Burgers and they were great. Finally, last night, I gave the Gambero another chance, this time huge portion of pasta but absolutely no flavour and no coriander. My husband ordered a burger, well done - it went back 3 times before they cooked it properly.

I think the only redeeming quality of the restaurant is the atmosphere and service. Everyone always helpful and friendly. However, last night the toilet cleanliness was an issue - no toilet paper, piss on the walls, broken lock and no soap.

It seems the quality and ability of the chefs are slipping and its too bad because it is a great cozy spot. Sadly, that will be our last visit.

My advise to those who want to try it is stick to burgers and beer.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Looking at the facade of the place, you wouldn't think it's oozing with great stuff! Everything I have tried were soooo good that I plan to make regular visits. I had really good started which I have totally forgotten the names due to the ecstasy they brought! The amazing appetizers were the stuffed calamari and the chorizo wrapped in pasta and cheese.. I had the seafood cartoccio which I would say has a yield of 4 servings so I had to bring home half of it (yes, I ate half = 2 servings!). It has the right mix of everything! I also had a taste of the spareribs (pork and lamb).. heaven!

My advice is to try anything and you'll be surprised.

Service is also very good.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Went to celebrate a double birthday with family and had a very pleasant surprise. The restaurant had a great relaxed casual atmosphere. Our waiter was awesome and very attentive despite it being a busy night. The starters and the mains were fantastic and the desserts were delicious. Plus they added a great touch by baking a yummy chocolate cake for the birthday. Highly recommend to both locals and foreigners.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

One of the best Italian restaurants in Durban. Great relaxed and casual atmosphere, with superb food and friendly service. Awesome pasta dishes and a great cocktail menu.