“Sit in the courtyard & chill”
Review of Market

Market
Ranked #45 of 609 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Market is a world-class garden café/restaurant, situated in a quiet courtyard behind a classic 1930’s colonial building at the foot of Durban’s Berea in Marriott Road. Market serves simple quality cuisine using locally and/or organic sourced ingredients in a professional, unique, and caring environment. Market is also known for its selection of award winning South African wines, freshly squeezed fruit juices and coffee. Our fine dining dinner food specials change regularly and provide the perfect catalyst for any occasion, whether it be your first date or a birthday celebration. The courtyard has a central fountain surrounded by a a ring of Leopard trees, which provide all year mottled shade and its peaceful atmosphere. The outdoor furniture and tables are modeled around 18th century French garden furniture, adding to Market’s allure. The restaurant’s indoor section is more a modern minimalist while still providing the feeling of dining somewhere in Europe. Market is always available for big parties, private functions or weddings.
south africa
“Sit in the courtyard & chill”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The service is always so good here that you could while away hours in the courtyard while enjoying any one of their meals - the calamari & quinoa salad with feta and macadamia nuts is sublime and their fresh juices are delicious - I always go for the watermelon one when available.

Visited July 2013

The Hague, The Netherlands
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

And also good food. Very nice setting to have dinner. Nice terrace. It`s a pitty you walk through the kitchen area to go to the restroom. Service was good. Would come back to try a lunch orso.

• Visited July 2013
“Unimpressed diner”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

On the 10th July, I met friends for lunch at Market in Durban. Having a limited budget, I opted for the Avocado, brie, streaky bacon and red onion marmalade sourdough baguette @ R59. Our meals arrived and our waitron, while very pleasant, dashed off without asking if we would like anything more to drink. No matter I thought, as I hadn’t finished my beer and was sure he would be back shortly to see how we were doing, and I could then ask for something else to drink. Surprisingly, we didn’t see that waitron again.

While the meagre toppings of avo etc were quite tasty, I couldn’t even cut through the baguette. I decided I would just eat the avo/brie/bacon and would then pick the baguette up and eat it in my fingers. Well I managed to tear the baguette quite viciously with my teeth, but chewing it was altogether pretty darn impossible, so I gave up the unequal struggle after the first bite. When a different waitron came to take our plates away, I mentioned the inedible baguette to him and asked that he convey this information to the chef. He didn’t appear at all concerned on hearing my story and mumbled his agreement to pass on my message, which I very much doubt he did.

Shortly after this unfortunate (for me, as my friends were very happy with their food) meal, I happened to note in Ms Anne Stevens Eating Out supplement in The Mercury, that she awarded Market her highest accolade, and I can only think that when she arrives in your establishment, she is immediately recognized and has the very best of attention. How sad that this doesn’t appear to be the case for Mrs Jo Soap who does not wield the power to promote or destroy.

• Visited July 2013
Durban, South Africa
“Restuarant Close to Durban's best Entertainment”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is a discrete venue off the road with a great ambience .
A wedding supper was held at the Market for a family member. The atmosphere was wonderful with trees lit up and bonfires burning . The food was excellent ,modern French in style and the service was prompt and waiters / waitresses most welcoming .
We have since returned a number of times and have been delighted with the evening.
The wine list is a bit on the pricy side but all the wines are worth their price.

• Visited March 2013
“Perfect for Lunch”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Market is good for a lunch but don't expect huge helpings. The area is not so kosher either, problems with parking and don't leave anything of value in your car either. The car guard seems to be drunk most of the time. Excellent food quality with a good range.

• Visited April 2013