“What a dump de Charmy "estate" guest house is. NOTHING like the internet pictures”

De Charmoy Estate Guest House
Ranked #29 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed at de Charmoy on the 5th December 2013. I found the guest house on the internet and I must admit, the pictures are NOTHING like the actual place.
Such a dump! With terrible service.
So bad that as soon we got there and realized that this place had misrepresented itself with fake pictures, we started shopping around for decent accommodation around Durban. We didn't find anything and ended up staying there.
Places like this should be fined for putting up false pictures on their websites in order to lure unsuspecting guests. This is unethical and disgusting, had they out up the real pictures of this place, I wouldn't have looked at it twice. A shady dump.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Catherine L, General Manager at De Charmoy Estate Guest House, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Lungile,

Thank you for your candid comments. We are really sorry about your poor experience at our guest house. We will investigate the circumstances detailed in your post to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I can assure you that all the pictures presented on our website (www.decharmoy.co.za) are authentic. Our website presents photos from our Canelands and Riverside guest houses. Please can you point us to the pictures you are referring to so we can deal with the matter as soon as possible.

Again, we are really sorry about your experience.

Cathy de Charmoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pietermarirzburg
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The atmosphere and staff were outstanding.
We felt more like part of the family than guests.
Will definitely stay there again.
I recommend it to anyone who wants to relax in a beautiful friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had to spend a couple of nights in Durban before and after a tour of the Drakensbergs. As we were arriving and departing by air I looked for somewhere near the new Durban International airport. I chose de Charmoy because it was close and sounded relaxing, but I was not expecting the warm welcome, the lovely rooms and delightful gardens. It was great and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Bloemfontein, South Africa
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hi - Had to be in Durban for an urgent meeting and needed overnight accommodation close to the Airport for a early morning flight out to East London. I would never have booked in that area otherwise as I did not know the area as I do the rest of Durban - But was necessitated due to flight arrangements. What a surprise the place was - Friendly folk, Clean rooms and a dining outdoor area and bar that I was ecstatic about - Inviting, comfortable and the surrounding gardens and décor - Wow felt like I was out on a Island amongst the palms and flowing streams - Could not stop raving about it to my wife when got back home. Normally I prefer not to mingle with the hosts as I sit and answer mails on my computer and I believe they are also entitled to their privacy - The hosts were great and easy to chat to and I enjoyed a superb dinner in their company and was shuttled personally to the airport by the them the next morning. - Great ambiance, Great Food and even greater hosts.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We looked for a hotel near to the airport and found an absolutely charming place. Superb dinner, felt like beeing part of the family. The honesty bar is a great idea, we would love to come again some day !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great stopover to and from the airport. Just 5 mins away. Very comfortable rooms, coffee/ tea facilities, free WI-FI and very hospitable staff. Ate both dinner and breakfast which were both excellent.Small but very clean swimming pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We needed an overnight stop having arrived early evening from Durban airport before we were going up to spend a few days in Kwa Zulu Natal so had booked this online. Booking was easy and efficient and checking in was also done quickly and we were given a lovely room - not huge but all you need and a lovely bed and linen. Its a quiet guest house with lovely grounds to walk around and we would have loved to have stayed longer. We will next time! its in such a convenient spot for the airport and touring locally. We had an evening meal on site which was super quality and excellent value - and had a lovely evening chatting to the family and learning about the area. They were also so helpful the next morning by taking the time and trouble to check our directions to our next destination and to make sure we had the best route for the next part of our journey. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple