“Avoid the creme brulee”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: telephone no. +27 31 202 4906
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Wine by the glass was average - fairview la capra rose. Calamari tubes were great. Service was excellent but the creme brulee was a mess.

There are newer reviews for Hemingways

Reviewed 19 July 2013

This used to be a great spot, sadly it's lost a lot of its spark. Limited menu, unfriendly staff and blandish food

1  Thank Mark I
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Lovely restaurant for a relaxed evening with a glass of wine and chat. For Durban the wine list is above average and prices are reasonable. Service is quite good too but sadly I have yet to have a great meal there.

2  Thank DDurban
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Always a favourite. Dynamic menu, good quality and trendy area. Worth a visit on Weekend.

Try the sea food paella or Biltong sauce steak

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We recently celebrated a family birthday at this venue. In terms of price, I'd rate the food good to average, but there are issues with service. One of my bugbears is intrusive music in restaurants where the whole point of eating out as a group is to converse and commune together. It's not like this is a pub or an action bar. We asked at least three times to have the music turned down, as we were seated right under the speakers.

But our major gripe was with the bad timing with regard to serving one of the main courses, and then the way the complaint was handled. One of our party of six was only served her meal once the rest of us had already finished eating.

Yes, mistakes happen, but then deal with them properly. We did receive an apology, though to me it seemed somewhat half-hearted at first. The manager later approached us. Instead of immediately saying, "Look, we are sorry that there was a mixed up with the order," she asked instead how our meal was. Mistake! Anyway, the upshot is that we were offered
free coffees - which only three of us took advantage of. Whether that went sufficiently far to smooth all the ruffled feathers is a matter of debate. Personally I think not.

I've eaten at Hemingways a few times recently, and if I were given a choice, won't do so in a hurry again.

2  Thank NautieZA