“perfect holiday hotel”

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Witbank, South Africa
“perfect holiday hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We arrived thursday afternoon and we check in around 4pm and the hotel staff was friendly and welcoming.The check in process was smooth and fast.We stayed in room 1103 perfect sea view and the room was not what i had in mind they are bit dull and old they need some major renovations but beautiful.Rooms are very clean and air breeze from the sea was a cherry on top.The dining hall is being renovated and it looks beautiful and the breakfast was ok.If you want a nice view of the sea try anything from the 10th floor upwards.Kids were the one who enjoyed the most

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rudolph L
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Rudolph L

We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay !! Please come back to enjoy many more happy holidays.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

Garden Court South Beach Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel overnight over the weekend while I Durban. I chose the hotel because of its location, their ocean facing rooms have a spectacular view! I recommend that you get a room above the 10th floor, to avoid hearing the noise from the street below. Checking in was a breeze & after a long day, one appreciates service with a smile. I don't like the fact that the parking is not included in the hotel rate, considering what they charge. You also have to pay to have your luggage taken up to your room, shouldn't this be a complimentary service? Driving to the parking is also a bit confusing because you go around the corner and all the boom gates look unmanned and closed. The parking itself needs some paint and feels a little unsafe. You then have to walk up a flight of stairs, with your bags, to get to the lift that will take you to your room. The hotel is old and I suppose that's why it's being renovated. The room was neat and clean with a splendid view. The finishes are cheap and old and you can see that they tried to cover it up with layers of paint. I'm not one for the bath-shower combo, because it can get very messy. I am also a lover of bubble baths and I don't understand how you can have a bath and not provide bubble bath. Breakfast was scary, to say the least. Yes, the breakfast room is under construction, but the room they are using is disorganized and frankly it's dangerous! There are wires hanging from the ceiling. The floors are uneven, there are half constructed areas that are covered up. There is only one station for fruit juice and water, so everyone has to converge on that one spot. The food itself was definitely nothing to write home about. If you really had to stay here, stay overnight. I would not stay here on holiday. It's way too pricey for what you get!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Thandz D
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear ThandzD

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.

Where possible we will take corrective action immediately, and those matters which we cannot change right now will be escalated with our standards committee.

We are sure that you will be most pleasantly surprised when you see the finished breakfast room which is currently under renovation. We do apologise most profusely for any inconvenience which the work has caused. Our contractors have assured us that the work will be finished by the 8th July 2013.

The team really appreciates your support and we hope and trust that you will stay with us again, and enjoy our refurbished product.

Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was on a business trip on the night of 13 June 2013 and I checked in at 16:51 with the assistance of Sharon Govender. My room number was 0203 and was given the key to that room.Upon entering the room I did not notice immediately that someone had already slept in that room cause her luggage was in the cupboard.

I took off my shoes and was about to start unpacking when I realised that there was a cup of coffee half finished on the table and then I saw the clothes in the cupboard. I immediately left the room and notified reception.

I had to go back to Reception and was given another room with just a very tired lame excuse that they had people moving from their room the day before and it cause a mix up. No apology, nothing! Can you imagine what could have happened if the person was in the room when I entered cause my key was able to open. Or I checked in very late when the person was already in bed?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 413Rebo
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear 413Rebo

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse in standard which you experienced. The events which you describe are totally unacceptable and I have personally undertaken to investigate this matter so that Department Heads can take remedial action.

We are sorry for any inconvenience which this has caused. This is an isolated incident and I and my team hope that it will not prevent you from staying with us again as we do appreciate your support.

If I can be of any future help please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Wishing you all the very best,
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Chose the hotel because of its proximity to the start of a large sporting event, not anything to do with it's beachfront location (or the numerous very dodgy bars in walking distance).
The hotel is a bit dated and the room felt a little tired, however the room was clean and gave us everything we needed. Service was great, all the staff we interacted with were friendly & very helpful. Judging from the signs and the noise on the Saturday afternoon, the hotel is undergoing some renovations which might lead to updated rooms in the near future.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a sea view, try be higher than the 4th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear NickRSA

Thank you so much for choosing Garden Court South Beach. We really hope that we will always be your hotel of choice in Durban. Yes, you are quite right, we are doing some exciting refurbishments and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised upon your return.

We look forward to having you back.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Stayed one night at the Garden Court South Beach along Durban's waterfront. I've stayed in this area before but this was the first time at this particular hotel. It just so happened to be the very night of the Nedbank finals in Durban in which the Kaizer Chiefs were the big winners, so the city was in PARTY MODE. And that's okay, as I am a fan as well, but it was busy and noisy. Arrived at the hotel and the front desk said their parking structure was sold out so it was a challenge driving around finding a place to park. Front desk service was just okay and breakfast was included but only okay as well. Room was basic but comfortable and the sunrise with a sea-facing room was stunning. So overall, only an average stay at best. I chalked it up mainly to it being so busy with all of the fans but probably won't go back when I am Durban again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear logansrun98

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip, and I really hope that you will reconsider and choose us again on your next stay.

The hotel is undergoing some exciting refurbishments, and we are also offering all guests free capped internet daily. We will be offering all of our team challenging and motivating training and development interventions, so that we can all work togeather to lift our game.

Thank you so much for your support, and for taking the time to share this feedback.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

other than very average service levels at frontofhouse this hotel offers excellent value at every level. rooms are clean and breakfasts are consistently ftesh and.substantial.situation especially for beach access is incomparable

• Stayed May 2013
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear lieslanher

We are so glad that you enjoyed the beach access - it is very beautiful and we are so proud of our location, and so happy when our guests enjoy it !

Our front of house team are brainstorming for ways to improve on their service offering so that we can improve in this area. One great addition coming up is our free wifi service of 350 mb per day.

Thank you so much for staying with us and for reviewing us here on Trip Advisor, please visit again soon.

Amar and team
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at Garden Court South Beach for the second year now during Indaba and again had an enjoyable stay. The staff is friendly and very helpful and the rooms are what you would expect for a Garden Court. Unfortunately for me I had a room on the second floor and had no view of the Durban beachfront. Bummer. The hotel is nicely situated to get around Durban from, just a pity the area immediately behind it isn't that nice anymore. Breakfast has a good variety but I missed my pancakes on my last morning. Looking forward to stay again next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up for a fantastic view of the beachfront
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Firefly Africa

It's great to see another review from yourself - many thanks from the whole team! Our breakfast room upgrade and refurbishment is almost finished and we look forward to your reaction to it - we are sure you are going to enjoy it!!

Safe travels, and please come back soon.

Amar and team