I stayed here for 3 nights from 30th May for the Comrades marathon. I have been staying at this hotel for the past 3 years now when coming to Durban during this time due to the hotel being close to everything from beach, restaurants, Ushaka marine, etc. As usual during this time of year the year Durban is fairly busy with runners from outside Durban coming to participate in the race.
The hotel is part of Tsogo Sun chain of hotels with 2/3 other hotels located just a few metres up on the northern side of the beach. Check-in has always been effortless, buffet breakfast good and room space sufficient. The hotel now offers 350mb of free wireless Wi-Fi (standard with Tsogo Sun hotels), but found the connection very poor as it kept on breaking.
I have also noticed that the hotel service has over the last few years been quite disappointing.
1. Booked a non-smoking 2 double beds superior sea facing room. Realized the following day after noticing a stuffy smell coming from the passage that we were allocated a room on the smoking floor. I brought this to the attention of the front staff who just replied with a “don’t care attitude” that it is not hotel’s fault even after showing her a copy of the booking. I have no comments for the so called duty manager who seems invisible and non-existent to attend to any problems. (I may just further mention that last year on checking-in was allocated a room that was not cleaned and had to bring this to the attention of the front staff. The manager did send a letter of apology for the mistake.)
2. After some nagging and threatening to check-out we were re-allocated a non-smoking room 2217 few hours later. To my further disappointment the carpets in this room were dirty with some black stains, either not cleaned properly or old and need to be replaced. Another irritating part is hearing a noise in your room from the neighbouring room whenever they are using a bathroom/toilet.
3. I have realized that a superior room with this hotel is not of similar quality to superior rooms in other hotels like Southern Sun Waterfront. There is no fridge and the room décor is very poor.
Staying in this hotel ever again – highly unlikely. Will try the other 2 hotels (Garden Court Marine Parade or Southern Sun Elangeni) situated few metres further on the northern side of the beach. But then again I must say the level of services at Durban hotels seems to be below par compared to Cape Town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated amidst the hustle and bustle of Durban, this affordable family-friendly hotel offers stunning panoramic views of the historic Durban Harbour and the Indian Ocean. A stone’s throw from the modern aquarium and oceanarium, uShaka Marine World, this hotel also allows for easy access to the SunCoast Casino and Entertainment complex, miles of golden beaches and the culturally rich Durban CBD. This Garden Court Hotel is the ideal destination for business and leisure travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick so you can book your Garden Court South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Court - South Beach Hotel Durban