“Service disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Garden Court South Beach
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Durban
“Service disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights from 30th May for the Comrades marathon. I have been staying at this hotel for the past 3 years now when coming to Durban during this time due to the hotel being close to everything from beach, restaurants, Ushaka marine, etc. As usual during this time of year the year Durban is fairly busy with runners from outside Durban coming to participate in the race.

The hotel is part of Tsogo Sun chain of hotels with 2/3 other hotels located just a few metres up on the northern side of the beach. Check-in has always been effortless, buffet breakfast good and room space sufficient. The hotel now offers 350mb of free wireless Wi-Fi (standard with Tsogo Sun hotels), but found the connection very poor as it kept on breaking.

I have also noticed that the hotel service has over the last few years been quite disappointing.

1. Booked a non-smoking 2 double beds superior sea facing room. Realized the following day after noticing a stuffy smell coming from the passage that we were allocated a room on the smoking floor. I brought this to the attention of the front staff who just replied with a “don’t care attitude” that it is not hotel’s fault even after showing her a copy of the booking. I have no comments for the so called duty manager who seems invisible and non-existent to attend to any problems. (I may just further mention that last year on checking-in was allocated a room that was not cleaned and had to bring this to the attention of the front staff. The manager did send a letter of apology for the mistake.)

2. After some nagging and threatening to check-out we were re-allocated a non-smoking room 2217 few hours later. To my further disappointment the carpets in this room were dirty with some black stains, either not cleaned properly or old and need to be replaced. Another irritating part is hearing a noise in your room from the neighbouring room whenever they are using a bathroom/toilet.

3. I have realized that a superior room with this hotel is not of similar quality to superior rooms in other hotels like Southern Sun Waterfront. There is no fridge and the room décor is very poor.

Staying in this hotel ever again – highly unlikely. Will try the other 2 hotels (Garden Court Marine Parade or Southern Sun Elangeni) situated few metres further on the northern side of the beach. But then again I must say the level of services at Durban hotels seems to be below par compared to Cape Town.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Thami N

Please accept our sincere apologies for the incorrect room allocation, the attitude of the staff, and the lapse in service. As a team we are very dissapointed and upset that things were not as they should have been, and I as General Manager, have personally taken remedial action on these matters.

Please be assured that your comfort and enjoyment remain very much our number one priority and we will continue to strive for excellence. We really appreciate your support, many thanks.

Amar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My stay was pleasant. Thank you Bobby( Porter) .Nonkululeko(Front Desk) and Sithabile. you guys made my holiday!!!!Keep up the great service! I will be coming again soon. I will also recommend your hotel to everyone I know.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Lerato M

Fantastic news, we are so glad that you encountered such good service. This is what we wish to offer to all of our clients, each and every single day.

Please come back soon!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Was here with my family for Indaba. The property was comfortable with ample parking for my vehicle. Room was satisfactory and the bathroom seemed to have been recently revamped since my stay last year.

The breakfast was massive and the staff friendly and helpful. Only problem was when my wife went alone for breakfast with our infant the staff refused to assist her with the buffet as she also had to mind the infant simultaneously. We were in South Africa for over a month and no one had ever refused to assist with the infant and our meals. I just hope this was a one of case and does not reflect on the hotel on the whole.

Good value for money!

Room Tip: Sea Facing! Stunning sunrise every morning over the Indian ocean.
1 Thank gobeyondtravels
Dear gobeyondtravels

It is very worrying that your wife did not receive help, please accept our sincere apologies as that is most definitely not our normal standard of service. Please also ask for a Duty Manager if you encounter any difficulties during any future stays. Believe me, we are here to serve and ensure that you receive the best stay, and we will help in any way possible.

Thank you for taking the time to note the improvements in the hotel. I am confident that on your next stay you will continue to see improvements in service and facilities, as we constantly aim to better ourselves.

We really appreciate your support, thank you.

Ladysmith, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My overall experience was satisfactory. One item of clothing went missing from my room. I reported this to one of the managers. He investigated but could not come up with anything positive. If ever I stayed here again I will make sure I keep all my stuff in a lock up suitcase. The aircon in my room also did not work.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Mr Ramnand M

We really appreciate your ongoing support. We are very sorry that your item of clothing was not recovered. In future, should you have any concerns whilst at GC South Beach please do not hesitate to contact me or a senior member of management. Your comfort remains our number one priority. Please call again soon.

Richards Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Location was perfect wit a sea view,
Rooms were clean and big enough
Service was wonderful
Best liked quietness and well organised, but Least liked shortage of some Dstv channels ( Mzansi Magic)
Thanks

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Sam Musa M

Many thanks for your support. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

value for money received, effecient & friendly staff, great location, wi-fi not easily accessible, not sure if it depends on the level of room,not sure if free shuttle available when venue is not busy

Dear Wandile N

Thank you for posting this review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. There is a complimentary shuttle to Suncoast, which is offered throughout the year. We appreciate your support, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mpumalanga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

A small bar fridge in each room would be advised

Otherwise service etc was generally good.

Bathroom:

After taking a shower water floods the bathroom . If something can be done about that as the shower curtain restricts minimal water

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

AmarHurjan, General Manager at Garden Court South Beach, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear LM

Many thanks for your support. We really appreciate your feedback and our Department Heads are looking into your suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.