“Great time had by family!!”

Garden Court Marine Parade
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Stayed recently in a family room. Room was found to be comfortable. With a full view of the Indian Ocean and its central location, the Garden Court proved to be a great choice from the hotels on the Durban beach front. The breakfast is great and the staff are exceptional in their service ethic. Great value for money as well.

Room Tip: Locate yourself on a floor away from one that has an ice-machine.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

994 - 1,000 of 1,035 reviews

Reviewed 24 December 2011

My husband and I are newlyweds and we spent our honeymoon at the Garden Court Marine Parade. Our room was wonderful, the service was impeccable and the food delicious and plentiful. We had a magnificent holiday and have always enjoyed excellent service at the Southern Sun (we holidayed at the North Beach hotel earlier in the year). Many thanks indeed!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This hotel does nothing for the image of Garden Court hotels. Its been through several renovations over time and it shows. The only pleasent part of the hotel is the breakfast restaurant - although with very indifferent service. Check-in was easy, the room clean but the bed very old and cranky - the mattress has seen better days. The hotel room and bathroom takes you back to the 90's - having to shower in the bath is always an akward experience. Check-out is a nightmare - very slow with not a smile in sight - I'm sorry if its an effort to service your guests. I don't think the hotel is worth the price I paid. The hotel is located on the golden mile of Durban - but located towards the wrong part of town (South Beach). For better accommodation options consider hotels on North Beach or go for the trendy Umhlanga Rocks area. This hotel just doens't cut it.

Room Tip: The hotel has 30 floors. If you want a stunning view of the beach ask for a room on one of the upper...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I've stayed many times at this landmark hotel centrally situated on Durban's golden mile. Over the years I've come to realise that this may not be the ideal hotel of choice if you sharing the room with the kids, as the rooms are on the small side. The Garden Court group is reliable with their standards of cleanliness, value for money and service.
The rooftop swimming pool and great vistas are indeed fond recollections.

The main beaches and restaurants are all within walking distance and the breakfast remains of a very good quality at this hotel. I would love to return to sunny Durban in the South African winter and would not hesitate to return to this establishment but may just book a seperate room for the kids next time round!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank zaheergani
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I stayed in this hotel the evening of the 26th July 2011. I booked for dinner at the "Buffet" room, and from the offset it was a horror story.
The tables were not set and the available tables had not been cleared of dirty plates and eating utensils. When I eventually found a table, I had to clear it myself and find eating utensils. I asked a waitress to bring me a wine list and that was the last time I saw her. Eventually I went to fetch myself a drink from the cocktail bar which is located other side of the Buffet room.
When I went to fetch food from the buffet, most of the food was finished. I saw a customer have a stand-up argument with the only other available waitress. I decided it was best to leave and went & saw the manageress on duty. I asked her if she is aware of the chaos in the Buffet room. She apologised and said she would follow-up.
I reported this issue on the "Customer Satisfaction Survey". The reply I received from the the General Manager of the hotel was simply an explanation that they were challenged but have now made more staff available. That answer is not good enough and it did not compensate for the money I wasted at this hotels Buffet room. As a Frequent Guest Member of this hotel group, they can be assured that I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank WillemLab
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times and it is what it is. Good size rooms, comfortable beds, pretty good room service and good value for money. its an excellent location with lots of restaurants near by accessible by taxi but rumour has it that the restaurant is being changed so I look forward to seeing it again next year.
the breakfast has all that you would expect and the bar has some great staff working there. it just closes too early !
the pool at the top is magnifient in that its warm and has amazing views. a definate must.

Room Tip: ocean view and high up
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kckenya
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The rooms are really basic - the breakfast has lots of choice - but mainly really unhealthy things - missing the musli etc. In one night we came into our room and another couple was sleeping in our beds - they stayed in the other marine parade hotel and had the same room number as ours. Their card didn`t work so the hotel staff let them into our room! Shocking! The staff is friendly and helpful but the hotel not worth the price you pay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business