“What an experience”

Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Rustenburg, South Africa
“What an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

What a wonderful place to be, any time I go to Durban Garden Court Marine Parade will be home away from home for me. I don’t see myself staying at any other hotel in Durban except Garden Court Marine Parade. I have tried most of the hotels in Durban and Mhlanga Ridge but Garden Court Marine Parade is the best for me. Let me be clear with every who may think otherwise I mean I tried everything even the most expensive hotels in Durban but nothing come close to the experience I had at Garden Court Marine Parade hence I call it Home Away from Home

Room Tip: All you need to do is to check in from your room you will have a view of the beach and from the pass...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Takalani M
Andre G, Manager at Garden Court Marine Parade, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear TakalaniM,
Thank you for your positive feedback. Marine Parade still offers great value as an Economy Brand Hotel. The rooms are spacious, unlike the new modern hotels with limited floor space. You could possibly not have better views of the Indian Ocean. It is perfectly located for those attending conferences at the ICC or a family who wants a beach holiday (you do not even have to get in your car to drive, all you have to do is grab your towel and walk 20m to a swimming beach). And yes, you definitely get the home away from home feeling when staying with us.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I would rate this 0 if i could. Its the most disgusting hotel I've ever visited. There is a terrible smell in the rooms, absolutely filthy and dull, the toilet didnt flush and we had broken drawers. They sent someone to fix it afterwards but nonetheless. A very noisy environment, and also unsafe in the evenings. We have only one 3 pin plug point which can only be used when the lamp is switched on which disturbs our sleep, and there is no balcony.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zahreen A
Gauteng
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The front desk were not helpful when we checked in and requested to verify if our materials for training had arrived. They said we had to wait until the banqueting person arrived the next morning. They were not willing to even check if it arrived.
The rooms continue to feel dirty and have that musty smell. The bathroom still has mold along the shower and my room curtains are grimy. I am really not impressed and will not stay here again.
The Garden Courts are known for their service and comfort, this is far from it, and I am unfortunately stuck at this dump for the rest of the week. This hotel makes travelling and being away from home for working challenging and tiring.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear E_traveller28,
Thank you for your feedback received. You will be pleased to learn that a full refurbishment has been approved for this hotel and will comence mid 2014.
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I had made a booking at the Garden Court Marine Parade, and only later saw some negative reviews. I must admit, I was seriously considering changing my booking to another hotel.
I am very happy, that I did not, as my husband, myself and 2 kids had such a lovely experience at the Garden Court, that I had to give this feedback. From the friendliness of the staff at check in and the little extra's received while we stayed....everything was perfect. The room and the bathroom facilities were spotless, the bedding and towels where absolutely clean, and breakfast was such a treat. I regularly stay at other hotels for business, and feel that the Garden Court is on par with other hotels int he same price bracket. Thanks Garden Court.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MichelleP838
Dear MichelleP838,
Thank you for your positive feedback as Tripadvisor only reflects the views and opinions of a select few who use this medium and is not the general consensus received from all our other guests. Marine Parade is an Economy Brand Hotel that offers great value to its travellers from large bedrooms, clean facilities and a wholesome buffet breakfast that should satisfy any persons needs.
We do have some very exiting news that a full refurbishment has been approved for Marine Parade and will commence mid 2014. This will give Marine Parade a boost where it is most needed.

Regards
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

there is a constant stench in and around the hotel. the room had en full alcohol bottle in a packet and an opened can of coke and used items lying around upon check in, which was speedily removed. the tea/coffee station was empty. the carpet was filthy and had a stench. the mattress had blood stains on it. loinen looked soiled and used.totally disgusted at cleanliness and hygiene at what was among my first choice of hotels to stay in. service at breakfast rude and not becoming of hotel staff to be rude and to ignore your guests. if there is halaal arrangements made for patrons this should be clearly marked since staff are not willing to be of assistance. if breakfast is self service than it should be explained to guests in an appropriate manner and not like it is the guests fault to request anything - in that case staff should not be loitering around and having there own meetings in the breakfast room in view of guests (if they are around they should be willing to help).would most definitely not be staying there again nor recommending it to any one. would like a response to this as it is definitely a matter of bad and unsatisfactory service for which i had to pay and also had to find alternate accommodation for the rest of my stay in Durban. urgently await your speedy response. thanking you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Andre G, Manager at Garden Court Marine Parade, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Good afternoon M.Z Desai,

We are in receipt of both your email to Anastasia Govender the Online Survey and now Tripadvisor. Thank you for bringing the below to our attention as we take such feedback seriously. This is most certainly not the service standards we are accustomed to provide to any of our guests. We are however glad that our Executive Housekeeper was able to assist and resolve the room standard issues that you communicated to her. Unfortunately the matter of the blood on the bed, stained linen and empty tea station was not brought to her attention at the time when you reported the empty can of coke in your room as I am certain she would have offered you another room.
With regards to the Food & Beverage Team, again we are not proud of the service you received and this will be taken up with the restaurant management. Unfortunately we are not a certified halaal venue but do apply the practice of food separation. During high volume periods, over Easter and Christmas we open a second venue. This venue is a pork free venue for any guests who do not eat pork products.

Again, we must sincerely apologise for any short comings and this feedback will assist us to improve on service delivery and standards.
Cape Town
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was my first stay at the Marine Parade Garden Court recently, and did not expect to be disappointed with the service as i was used to staying at the South Beach Garden Court. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with the accommodation at all. My disappointment relates to my transferes to and from the Hotel. I was booked into the Hotel for a 3-day conference by my employer and was expecting to be collected at the airport. My booking included transfers to and from the Hotel. I was very dissappointed when after landing, their was no shuttle service waiting for me. Luckily a colleague of mine who was booked at the Elangeni and was on the same flight, decided to wait until my transport to the hotel was sorted out. Eventually she offered to drop me at the Marine Parade when it was clear that my shuttle was a no show. Needless to say I was not very impressed and to top it all, my room key did not work when I went up to my room. The Porter went to get another key which also could not open the door. Then I was told that they would have to get maintenance. At this time i am already sitting on the floor waiting to get into my room. I eventually phoned down to reception to ask them to put me in a diffrent room and the person answering the phone was kind of short when she replied..." it is already being arranged". The hotel should in future ensure that everyting is in working order before checking in the visitors. Do not leave your visitors waiting at the airport and make sure your rooms are regularly maintained to ensure that everything is in working order.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Lusaka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I arrived on the first week of October 2013 and lodged for 6 nights, my office had made all the booking. I was told that i could not check in the hotel as the credit card number was taken but that no payment had been made. This is a clarification they did not explicitly explain upon making bookings on the website. I was stuck at the reception for close to 3 hours after making frantic calls to the home office and having to leave a personal deposit of $300, even when my office assured them they were immediately making payments. As the office could not make a direct transfer on Sunday, my boss decided to use her personal credit card for payments which they declined, they only accept payments on a credit card if it is a Company Card. I got into my room after 21hrs. The rooms are not as glamorous you see on the website, but are fairly decent and need maintenance. All of the Indian staff were warm except for one and surprisingly the African staff were all very cold (excluding the bar man Xlolani) upon assuming that i was a local and then learning from my response in English that i was an African foreigner. The view from the room was amazing, the breakfast was very good and included a good variety. The location of the Hotel is very close to the beach, play park, and 3 kilometers walk from Sun Coast a mall which hosts numerous restaurants and a cinema mall. My belongings were safe the duration of my stay. There is no Spa or Gym. They have a small upstairs pool on the 30th floor. Based on the welcome and treatment alone i would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Toko23
Andre G, Manager at Garden Court Marine Parade, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Good Day Toko23,
Thank you for advising us of your recent stay at Garden Court Marine Parade. It is never our intention to frustrate or disappoint any of our guests, especially on arrival at the hotel when you have taken all necessary steps to book your accommodation. We will most certainly investigate the booking site to ensure this is user friendly.
With regards to staff not being warm and welcoming - this is by no means the standard and we will address this with all departments as this is simply unacceptable.
Thank you also for the positive feedback on the location of the hotel as this is one of the great features of this hotel.