“Beautiful ocean views”

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Durban
South Africa
“Beautiful ocean views”
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I stayed overnight at the hotel on the 12th of October. It was a pretty stormy evening when I checked in, but from my room on the 19th floor, I had the most spectacular view of lightning over the sea. Breathtaking! The room was surprisingly big and spacious, and had all the necessary amenities. The bed and linen was comfy. In the morning, I watched the sun come up over the ocean as the early surfers waded their way out in the low tide to catch a few waves. It was glorious to watch. On the other side, where the lifts are situated, one can see the old city of Durban mixed with new developments...quite a mix. The staff were really friendly and helpful. My only drawback for this hotel is the parking. Being a high-rise hotel, the parking feels very parkade like and bays are a bit snug, so be careful taking in very big vehicles, you will need to manouvre carefully.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Burgeoning_traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Johannesburg
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Am totally disgusted.
Had my girlfriends shoes and sandals stolen out the room.
After they investigated the door lock - it was noted that only the maid and I had entered the room. I didn't steel my girlfriends shoes. They wouldn't look good on me anyway.
NEVER AGAIN !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joelreg
cape town
Reviewed 6 October 2009

aircon did not work
macrib - adjoining restaurant, expensive, slow service
bathwater lukewarm one morning

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Stayed here from 17th-20th June 2009 as part of a Thomas Cook Sport package, along with 39 others in the party. The Hotel was clean, spacious and the staff were very friendly. My brother and I stayed in a twin-bedded room that overlooked the Indian Ocean and it was great for us. There is a bar near the reception of the Hotel that suited our group fine for some late night watering hole entertainment. Breakfast was great also with more that enough choice for us, hot or cold.
The area is great during the day although I recommend a taxi drive to wherever you are going once it gets dark.
My brother and I had an absolute ball in Durban and the people were so friendly. Florida Road and Sunset Casino are the two places nearby to visit. Food and beer prices are about half to what you will pay in the UK. We also played Golf at the nearby Durban Country Club and it was superb there. It was just a shame about the rugby result!!!! But what a great bunch of people the South Africans are. They will do anything to ensure you have a great time!!!!

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank GeorgeWestYorkshire
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We had occasion to stay at this hotel twice; first for 3 nights and later for 1 night. At first when I saw the room I was a bit taken aback because it is so basic and plain, especially since we had just come from a luxury safari experience. But the room kind of grew on me.

Although basic, with bathroom and two queen beds and boring dated decor, the windows opened to fresh sea air and we had a great ocean view and view of the promenade below. We enjoyed watching the parade of people, vendors, families walking on the promenade by the beach from our window view. The bed was comfortable enough; the room clean, and there was a desk and chair. The nicest part was that the room was somewhat spacious.
The room was quiet and we could sleep well there.

My impression that the Garden Court was a bit of a find ( about $110 - 120 for two queen beds and including breakfast) was further confirmed when we had occasion later in our trip to stay at the Southern Sun Elengani, just a few blocks up the street. The room there was quite small, although much more elegant, but at twice the price (about $250). At the end of our trip we stayed at the Southern Sun Beverly Hills Hotel which while quite an elegant hotel, the room was not as spacious as the Garden Court. Don't get me wrong, the Garden Court room was more like a simple Holiday Inn in America while the Elegani was much more upscale and the Beverly Hills a truly 4 star hotel. ($450 night). So, if cost is a factor, I'd stay at the Garden Court.
We did enjoy the more luxury pool scene at the Elegani.

If I were in Durban again I would probably stay at the Garden Court, unless the weather was very hot in which case I would pay more for the pool scene and service which you would find at the Elegani or Beverly Hills Hotel.

Breakfast was included at the Garden Court and it was a huge buffet. You could get whatever you wanted there. The food was just fine, not gourmet, but very, very good.

We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly.

We also ate several nights in the hotel in the restaurant. It's called "MacRibs". My daughter LOVED the ribs and ate them every night. I loved the half (and later graduated to the whole) lemon chicken. Service was fine and the prices were low.
When we stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel where the food was top notch, gourmet, my daughter longed for her ribs at MacRib and wished I would drive her back there, so that is a high compliment.

If elegance is your priority, don't stay at the Garden Court.
But if you want a clean, simple, large, quiet room, with a huge buffet breakfast, a straight forward lunch/dinner restaurant, with friendly enough staff--stay at the Garden Court.

We did not use the pool or fitness room. We did use the laundry service, which was so inexpensive by American standards and was exceptional. The clothes returned almost as immaculate as the first day I bought them, folded, and soft. My daughter rightfully commented that they are never that nice when Mom does them. So kudos to the laundry service there--the best laundry out of the several times we had laundry sent out on our trip.

The location is good, right across from the promenade and tiny amusement park (dont worry-it's not noisey). On the weekend there was a flea market at the promenade. If you like an assortment of junk and some interesting African pieces you'd like it. We bought many art pieces from a knowledgeable vendor.
Most of the vendors are dealing junk, but with all the music in the background and the varied types of customers out for their day at the flea market it is a fun flea market scene.

For trinkets to bring home to friends we went across the street from the hotel to the women vendors selling jewelry, handicrafts and so forth.
My daughter especially enjoyed buying African beaded necklaces and bracelets for her friends.

So, all in all Garden Court is good value and just fine.
Also, we felt safe there and it was just me, (a mom), and two children so if we felt safe, that is saying something. Do watch your purse and keep your street smarts on when you are walking outside. We were approached by a weird man outside the hotel, but we quickly walked away. This could happen anywhere in Durban. Just use good street smarts of being aware of your surroundings and don't leave your purse open or flash lots of cash. We like Durban and the Garden Court!

• Liked — Value for the money and windows opening to sea view
  • Disliked — The beds might be a tad too hard for my liking
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank ElizabethStreetMoM
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 November 2005

My husband an I recently chose to spend a night at the Holiday Inn Garden Court - ostensibly to celebrate his birthday. We have been doing this for many years and have stayed in double rooms and suites. This hotel houses our two favourite restaurants in Durban - The Jewel of India and The Daruma.

How sad I was to note the drop in the standard of service delivery in this "previous" jewel on the Marine Parade.

From being welcomed with smiling faces and a room bedecked with flowers, fruit basket, imported chocolates, champagne etc. We were subjected to being ignored at the check-in counter to a suite with two apples on a plate, awful fudge and two little bottles of red wine.

I do not see fudge and red wine as a "general favourite". I will happily add that the restaurants mentioned above still offered us friendly and culinary triumphant service. Congratulations to both restaurants and their respective staff for maintaining first class service and food.

Again, when we chose to have breakfast downstairs - we were met at the door by a rude person who was having a private conversation on the telephone - we paid in the region of R180.00 a head for breakfast - I may be wrong on this because my husband takes care of restaurant bills. However - there was literally no service - we eventually had to call the person on the door in an attempt to order coffee - the lady serving in our area flatly ignored us - and in the one hour or so that we were in this "not" fine dining room she did not smile once. Toast arrived - that I could easily bend in two with not even a crumb falling to my plate and I am still waiting for my eggs. It cost us in the region of R360.00 to have toast. My complaints in the restaurant were met with the explanation "we are short staffed".

When we checked out I asked reception to get the PR to call me - I am still waiting. I lament the loss of my favourite hotel - what has happened?

I would really like to know!

• Stayed October 2003