“Reliable and centrally-located hotel”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Colleagues and I have stayed for business at this hotel on a number of occasions this year, most recently, this week (November 2011).

The hotel is well-located and allows guests to walk straight over to and along the beachfront.

The views from the bedrooms are wonderful although the decor in some rooms might benefit from an upgrade. On this latest visit, I raised certain issues of cleaning of the telephone instrument in my room and these were attended to swiftly.

The room service menu offers a number of healthy options and the food is well-presented. The coffee shop is also a pleasant spot for a light snack.

Above all, the staff are always helpful and this is always the defining feature in returning to the hotel.

We will no doubt return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Siamcat1_9
There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed 9 November 2011

I had the best view, though the room is not that spacious. I stayed in room 504 with a beautiful window view (skating court, beach, other hotel buildings, car parking, and the hotel swimming pool)makes you go out, and u forget that u in a small room.

The staff members are very friendly and always willing to help.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Lesego85
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Our entire marching and field band of 140 people stayed here during our tour in September 2011 and had a wonderful experience! All the staff were so helpful, and in particular, the amazing ladies in the laundry, who went way beyond the call of duty. Our rooms were nice, the buffet breakfasts, delicious, and the scenery, beautiful. Thank you to all the staff of Southern Sun Elangeni!

1  Thank srmonica
Reviewed 4 November 2011

the rooms were decent and clean when we arrived. Though their keys didn't work and had to be rebooted each time you tried the door.

They had a Japanese restaurant with a teppanyaki table. The sushi was nice, the rest of it was just OK.

they serve a mean BunnyChow - strongly recommended.

They have nice in room amenities. The chocolates are really nice (not so the wine)

The reception staff and the service staff are very helpful.

The concierge has his own deal going with cab companies but what can one do!! At least you are sure that you are safe - even if a few pounds poorer!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a conference in Sept 2011. The hotel as a very good location in front of the beach, where it is safe to walk if you fell like. Going to Durban City Centre is also easy, either by walking or using the People Mover Bus - or by any other means you feel like.
The food in the hotel's main restaurant is excellent, and the rooms are very convenient and comfortable.
The staff is nice, though they can take some time to resolve some issues. The cleaning schedule was a bit confusing as well - the time they cleaned the room was changing every time; I also never realized why they were always collecting my towels even if I was leaving them in the hanger to be used again!

Reviewed 22 September 2011

I've been staying here on business once or twice a year for 5 years. I used to love it. It always felt smaller and more personal that you'd expect for its size and service was always excellent. Great views over the ocean. Reasonable buffet and two other good dining choices; Japanese and Indian.

In the meantime it's had a superficial refurb in places which just seems to have highlighted its age and shortcomings. However the main difference is ambiance and service. Where there were once smiling porters looking to help, there are now grumpy security guards. I stood with others for 5 minutes waiting to check-in, with just 1 receptionist behind the counter. Breakfast is a bun-fight; crowded and hectic. Where previously you were handed a glass of orange juice and shown to a table, you're now told to sit anywhere. After two laps of the restaurant, I found a free table that didn't need clearing.

Add to that steep WiFi charges, not-cheap dining prices and R50/night for car parking, this is starting to look like too much money for the experience.

It looks to me like Southern Sun have pursued a high occupancy rate at the expense of service and quality of experience. Perhaps that was a necessity in these recession hit times, but this is one business traveller that's taking their business elsewhere in future.

1  Thank Oolon_Colluphid
mikej698, Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2011

Dear YoboYork,
I would like to thank yo for your posting on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Elangeni.
Apologies for the poor service received at Reception, this is certainly not our standard and some lapse must have happened at the time of your check on but I can assure you is not our norm. Furthermore I apologise for the grumpy Security Guard and I will deal with this as it is is not acceptable for our Guards to be grumpy towards our guests.
I am sure you will agree that our three restaurants all offer excellent cuisine and that our Pub is trendy and enjoyable.
Your comments about Once a good hotel , now suffering from recession blues is noted however the Elangeni has continued through the recession to enjoy high occupancies when others are struggling. Being a large hotel with 450 rooms, we have always had to take large conference groups in order to fill the rooms and this is the reason you would have found the breakfast room to be busy. We do still hand out fresh orange juice upon arrival at the breakfast room, I am sorry that you missed out on this service.
Obviously the recession has hit most businesses in the world , however we have continued to spend money on our hotel product keeping it at a good 4 star level. We have new flat screen televisons being installed next month plus a number of other improvements planned.
We still have retained the great service that you say you once had, however it is clear that you did not have a great experience on this particular stay.
I would not like to lose you as a guest of the Elangeni and I would like your next stay to be complimentary as I would like to show you that we are still a great hotel offering great service and good product and I need to prove this to you.
Kind regards
Mike Jackson
mikej@southernsun.com

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed at Elangeni Hotel for about 4 days. I loved it and found the rooms were very comfortable. The views were really gorgeous and the breakfasts were outstanding. Will be going there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
mikej698, Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Dear Shireen,
I would like to thank you for staying at the Southern Sun Elangeni Hotel and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. In the normal course of events we hear only the complaints and so it is particularly gratifying to receive comments like yours. With Springtime upon us and summer around the corner we do look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.
Warm regards