“just average”

Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Baku, Azerbaijan
“just average”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Not sure about the standard in Durban because this was my first visit however I don'r really agree with all the high rating values. The position is excellent and the views on the oceans are amazing however rooms and toilette are small. The general feeling is that the whole structure needs some serious renewal.
There are 2 restaurant inside the hotel. The food at buffet if quite good for dinner but is always packed of people and overcrowded. The breakfast is fine but a bit on the lower end in terms of items quality. The hotel would be generally fine but is not matching the high expectations coming from this high rating.
When I was there the hotel was under heavy maintenance works for very noisy until 8 pm! Hopefully with these works it will get better in the next future.

Room Tip: Ocean view is definetely nice but make sure works have been completed.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disruption caused due to the construction.

We are committed to constantly evaluating our offerings to ensure that they remain relevant. The first phase of the programme is due to be completed in May, which incorporates a new restaurant concept on the ground floor, as well as a revitalised pool deck, with a bar - offering spectacular views of the Indian ocean.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Durban in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Staff and food were good but room was very ordinary. At R1800 a night they should provide somewhere to put your luggage instead of throwing the cases on the floor. We were disappointed in what was once a five star hotel. The Indian Restaurant was closed down although it still shows in the website and hotel info.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the facilities not being updated on the website.

We will soon be launching the new complex, which includes a new restaurant concept in the Indian restaurant space as well as a revitalised pool deck area. The refurbishment of the bedrooms forms part of phase 3 of the programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

From start to finish, I found the service from the Elangeni impeccable.

They organised my transfers between the hotel and the airport. On arriving at the hotel, there was a porter who got my bag from the boot and took it to reception. At reception, I received a drink while one member of staff checked me in and another briefed me on the hotel.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovations so the gym and pool are off limits. You can use the facilities at the neighbouring Southern Sun which is probably fine during the day but I'm not sure about the safety of that street at night or early in the morning.

After checking in, a porter escorted me to my room where he showed me how all the amenities worked amd set up the carrier for my bag.

Room service was not available for the night I stayed, but there were two restaurants (normally I believe, there are three). I went to Daruma, the Japanese restaurant where the food was lovely and the service continued to be excellent.

I did have one issue. There seems to be an issue with the bath/shower curtain configuration that did result in flooding part of the bathroom.

The breakfast was good though there the service was not quite as great as it took a little while for me to get a pot of tea.

The next day I attended an event at the hotel. The front desk checked me out quickly and efficiently and the concierge ensured that my luggage was kept safe until the event ended and my shuttle arrived. Great service from start to finish.

• Stayed March 2013
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay, despite the renovations.

We are currently working on a new restaurant offering - which will open in May 2013, bringing the choice of restaurants back to three. We will also be adding an all day dining facility on the pool deck , at the bar area (also scheduled to open in May 2013). I have no doubt that these new additions will enhance your future stays.
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hotel was very clean, lovely view, only problem was the buffet breakfast! Before booking I called in to enquire about breakfast, I was told by the reception that they cater mutton and lamb, only to find out that, that wasn't true, as a hindu, I don't eat beef and pork, but that's what they had on the saturday morning, so after complaining about it I was told the next day they will cater mutton or lamb, so sunday morning I found the same problem, everything I do not eat and yes they put tasteless mutton sausages that replaced the chicken sausages the day before, spoke to the chef, well he re-fried lamb from the nite before and loaded my plate wit mutton sausages!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sicnere apologies for the lapse in quality experienced at breakfast time, I will most certainly look into the matter.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay
mumbai
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Conference to attend
and it was my first time in Durban, and this place made a great welcome.
Location right on the beach and boardwalk,
This hotel is certainly placed in the right position on the beach front. Fast check in and service and friendliness of staff is typical Southern sun - very good and well trained. Rooms are large and comfortable. Breakfast a pleasure and certainly worth a visit. All rooms have ocean views. My room on the 10th floor had incredible panorama, All rooms are ocean vie-higher you stay you get more panoramic view of the sea. You could open the window and hear the surf at night, and watch the sunrise over the Indian Ocean in the morning. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Young bar staff happily gave me lessons in basic Zulu phrases ("Sawubona" - Hello), If you're looking for beachfront location, his is your place. However, many other sights in Durban (botanical gardens, museums, Florida Road restaurant district, universities) are going to require taxis. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Preferable take higher floor room to get more panoramic view of sea and sunrise...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Northumberland
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were greeted by Andrew on reception..polite but disinterested and cool.This was in comnplete contrast to the rest of our holiday in South Africa where the welcome had always been very warm and friendly. We were shown to our room only to find that we had been given a standard room, not a superior room which we had reserved. Finally moved to a superior room...ok but a typical hotel room. small bathroom where the shower did not drain away properly..we nearly had a flood. However the beds were EXTREMELY comfortable and the view across to the ocean was lovely. Breakfast was very nice and the service in the restaurant was very good. We appreciated a late check out time on the day we were due to fly back to the UK.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service expereince upon arrival, we will certainly take the necessary corrective steps.

I am delighted that this did not spoil your overall stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We booked into this hotel after leaving another one just down the road in disappointment. After that experience the North Beach was like a breath of fresh air. Upon walking in the door we were greeted by the porter and making a booking at Reception was a breeze. The Duty Manager was lovely - very efficient, understanding and helpful.

We were given a room on the twenty-seventh floor which had a magnificent view of the ocean and the Golden Mile. It was spotless and spacious and had plenty of storage. It had a bar fridge, sofa and safe. The decor was up-to-date and we never had to wait more than 10 seconds for a lift even though we were so high up.

The breakfast was excellent and although we stayed for nine days we never tired of the variety. Both Moses and Steven ensured we were well looked after in the breakfast room. Eggs are freshly prepared before guests and on the weekends a juice extractor is in operation. Pork products are separate from the other foods and we noticed that different foods were provided depending on the nationality of guests staying in the hotel - very considerate management which attempts to cater to their patrons. The only problem we had was with the breakfast packs we were given when we had to leave early for a tour. My husband is sensitive to preservatives and colours in foods and the youghurt and juice made him sick.

Although we had to pay for parking, it was undercover, secure and convenient as the parking lot is right near the lifts on the third level. The pool is on the top floor and has great views.

The only things we would improve would be to have luggage racks in the room as it was annoying to have luggage cluttering the floor and we also had problems with water pressure in the cold water taps in the mornings when everyone was having showers.

This hotel and its staff is a credit to Tsogo Sun chain. We were very impressed and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite the shortcomings with the water pressure - which our engineering team is looking into.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.