“Business Trip”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Check in was very good. I was greated warmly and enjoyed some juice whilst checking in. Wanted to change my room for a higher floor and was given a room upgrade. Although there are major renovations going on everything was clean and tidy. The views from the upper foors are amazing and it was great to hear the waves breaking. I have been staying at this hotel on business for a number of years and the restaurant's prices have increased at lot. The rooms are spacious and the new bathrooms are modern. New decor all over the hotel are welcoming. Enjoyed breakfast and service was great.

Room Tip: The rooms go from 01 upwards e.g. 2801 to 2810 so ask for a room with a higher number becasue the vi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and that you are enjoying the "new look".

Reviewed 9 April 2013

The Staff at the hotel were great and the check in process was simple and quick. Elangeni is a lovely hotel but the building is getting a bit old and the rooms although very tastefully furnished are looking a bit aged. But please don't get me wrong, it is comfortable and clean and the pillows and beds are to die for. Breakfast was another grand experience, they cater for halaal diets and simply put breakfast was my favourite time of the day. The one thing which I can say didn't sit too well with me is that you have to pay extra for parking your car in their basement garage overnight. Also there is no elevator from the parking garage into the hotel so it's easier to offload luggage at the street level entrance of the hotel before parking your car. During our say, there were some renovations going on so the pool and gym area were off limits. The facilities were however available at their sister hotel, the Maharani two doors away. Although the renovations were supposed to be happening during office hours, they started at 8am on the Sunday morning we were checking out. We were up early but I did wonder if the other guests were frustrated with the noise.
But the best part of this hotel is the simply stunning view of the Indian Ocean especially on the higher floors.The beach is literally across the road - that is as close as it gets!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor and ask for an ocean view room. We were told that the corner room we had was a l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay, despite the construction taking place. The first phase of this programme incorporates a new restaurant on the ground floor as well as a revitalised pool deck - I just know that you will enjoy the new look. The bedroom refurbishemnt forms part of phase 3 of this programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back i nthe near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

What an excellent family hotel! Checking-in over the Easter weekend was a total disaster, but the staff on duty tried their best to appease guests waiting in long queues. Having two small children, it was not easy waiting for check-in. When we finally received our room key, some 2 hours after, we were welcomed to a clean and comfortable family room.

The view from the 19th floor was amazing. I believe that the hotel has been recently renovated - it shows in its fresh look.

Buffet breakfast can certainly be upgraded. Being vegetarians, our choice of hot meals were limited. However staff were friendly and accomodating - by offering my 1 year old a high chair and pleasantly cleaning up after she had spilt her cereal on the floor.

Gym facilities are average.

On the whole - an excellent family stay. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay experienced upon arrival over the Easter weekend - I am delighted that despite this, you had a great stay.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We arrived at the hotel in the evening of the 29th MArch 2013 and the checking in was a nightmare as the lady at front desk was unwelcoming and had some issues with my wife as she did not explain things in full, particularly parking. As a frequent guest member, it was my first time that i had been so miserable with parking and i promised myself that should i go back to Elangeni, parking would be the first thing i enquire about. (normally is on first time basis) The view we had was excellent and would not trade it for anything, however, the bathroom, particularly the shower, was a nightmare as there was flooding all the time. i suggest that instead of using baths, built in showers are great and the mess will be controlled.

Room Tip: Visit when there are no renovations
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sicnere apologies for the lapse in service expereinced from the receptionist upon arrival - this is most defintiely not the standard that we strive to achieve.

We are investigating ways of dealing with the on-site parking most efficiently in future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent our wedding night here. Was magical. We had a suite high up and the panoramic view were stunning. Hotel and amenities were great. We did however find the the restaurant food and service was not up to standard and the food seemed to take forever. Otherwise the hotel side of thinks was great.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews.

Congratulations on your recent marriage - I am delighted that you had a memorable stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in standards experienced from our restaurant - we will most certainly focus on this area.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed there from 29/03/2013 to 01/03/2013.... The revamp is actually very nicely done. Very fresh and modern.
Check in was a complete nightmare... Its all well and good to be efficient during a quiet period however service must be majorly jacked up during the rush. At 2:30 I went to get my room key and they said it was not available. I went up myself and indeed it was ready... I went back down and got the room key.. to my suprise the key did not want to open the door so I got the cleaners to open for us we I was not in the mood to go back down.
Breakfast was average, the "chefs" who make the omlettes should be more excited to do thier jobs as it shows in thier underdone eggs! people should constantly be checking and replacing finished plates, cups etc. Every morning I went to breakfast, I had to ask for something to be replaced.
The COMPLETE NIGHTMARE WAS THE FESTIVAL OF CHARIOTS!!!!! the noise spoilt my whole holiday!!!! Please if something can be done about the location in the coming years - please do something as it is the most frustrating thing trying to get rest and all you hear is bass for the early to late parts of the night!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The Chariots Festival is usually held at the open ground next to George Campbell High School, unfortunately, due to the BRICS Summit in Durban, which ended just before the Easter weekend, this venue was not available this year - which is why it was moved to the beachfront. We have been in communication with the city regarding locating festivities on the beachfront during peak seasons, to ensure that this is not repeated next year.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay expereinced during check-in, the hotel was fully booked the night before with the Chinese Delegation - who did not depart at 11h00 as requested.

I do hope that these incidents did not mar your overall impression of the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Not sure about the standard in Durban because this was my first visit however I don'r really agree with all the high rating values. The position is excellent and the views on the oceans are amazing however rooms and toilette are small. The general feeling is that the whole structure needs some serious renewal.
There are 2 restaurant inside the hotel. The food at buffet if quite good for dinner but is always packed of people and overcrowded. The breakfast is fine but a bit on the lower end in terms of items quality. The hotel would be generally fine but is not matching the high expectations coming from this high rating.
When I was there the hotel was under heavy maintenance works for very noisy until 8 pm! Hopefully with these works it will get better in the next future.

Room Tip: Ocean view is definetely nice but make sure works have been completed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disruption caused due to the construction.

We are committed to constantly evaluating our offerings to ensure that they remain relevant. The first phase of the programme is due to be completed in May, which incorporates a new restaurant concept on the ground floor, as well as a revitalised pool deck, with a bar - offering spectacular views of the Indian ocean.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Durban in the near future.