“Perfect choice for a Durban break”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The newly-revamped Elangeni Hotel met all our expectations and more when we took a short break in Durban with the kids. The little ones loved the huge heated pool and the pool deck bar had a great choice of drinks and lunch snacks. It became our favourite hangout where we could relax and catch up with old friends!
Most importantly, the staff always wore a smile and were only too pleased to help, especially with the kids.
Well done Southern Sun, we can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room if you can, the rear view isn't too pretty!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the enhanced facilities on the pool deck at the Elangeni tower - these will be complimented by the upgrade to the back pool, which includes a Spa facility. This area will be completed by December 2013.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am a frequent visitor at this hotel and I can confirm that the service is seriously a problem. I have been told by the group CEO today that I am called the "Trouble Maker". The DSTV does not work, the breakfast is of concern, the new Ocean Restaurants uncomfortable with tables all right next to each other etc. The other problem the hotel I picked up was that the eggs been fried is fried in some kind of FAT not oil, the oil used is lumpy and white in color. I was told that when oil gets cold it turns this color. This is of major concern to halaal and vegetarian clients. Rooms are very old and believe me I found a cockroach, this is understandable for Durban. By the way a staff member not confirmed that the mixture used to fry eggs is fat, due to intimidation he does not want to be named. Avoid the lower floors the lifts are a mess.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Ebrahim L
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The underlying strength of this hotel is the staff compliment who would go out of their way to assist. The food was scrumptious - the buffet was generous with a great assortment. The location is superb. The only downside was the construction linking the Elangeni and the Maharani, but a small inconvenience that will prove to be worth the while later.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay, despite the disruption caused by the construction (thank you for your patience).

I assure you that the new facilities will most definitely enhance your future stays - we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

If this is 5 stars then I don't know, I would rather stay in a tent than return to this hotel, parking 2 blocks away after getting told not to walk around after dark, dstv not working, the service is non existing, workers fighting over lifts and walking through the restaraunt shouting at each other while we are trying to enjoy a meal, surprised we even managed to get a key card, if you want to go somewhere overpriced for a caravan park then this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Although we are not a 5* hotel, it appears that the service that you received during your stay was not of the standard that we pride ourselves in delivering. I would like make contact with you to obtain more details in order to take the necessary corrective steps.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Only here for one very brief night - had a leave at 3am for early flight and power was off in hotel from late evening till 3am - so difficult to be fair. It was nearly dark when we arrived and very very windy so didn't get best impression of location. We were on the 10th floor and were very surprised to find that we could open the windows quite wide!! Rooms were typical big city hotel rooms but spacious and clean. Several bars and restaurants to choose from and though it was very busy service was efficient and we ate well.
And the management did send cards of apology and a bowl of fruit to us at a later hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Once again, please accept my sincee apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the power outage in the early morning. Unfortunately, this was due to urgent repairs that were carried out to our power supply.

I trust that this did not spoil your visit to our beautiful city.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

durbans north beach is filled with different hotels offering various things to do and see but i found the maharani perfect for a weekend getaway even though some areas were under construction it was a pleasant stay the onlybreakfast was fast and yummy. cant wait to return.

Room Tip: rooms that are far from the elevator have less noise
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay - despite the construction works and we look forward to welcoming oyu back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I've been staying at this hotel since I was a kid and I'd be returning for many years to come. Staff are friendly, efficient and requests from housekeeping or room service are always handled promptly. Reception staff are helpful especially Moses, nice bloke! One evening while room service was delivered to my room the staff member noticed that I had a cut on my forehead, withing a few minutes a lady knocked on the door with a bucket of ice and some plasters without me even having asked for anything, that was very hospitable of the staff(I think Rita was her name). The new pool deck was impressive and I look forward to returning to the refurbished rooms some time soon.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking t he time to post your review.

I am delighted to hear that you have fond memories of the Southern Sun Elangeni and that the team continues to exceed your expectations with their personalised service delivery.

We look forward to welcoming oyu back to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani