“Very good”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very good service ,and enjoyable stay ,good environment for business and relaxation.but the new reward system will have to be used more efficiently .the hotel is a few steps away from the beautiful beach

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

As the Destination Complex in Durban, we aim to cater to the needs of all of our guests, which vary according to their reason for travel. I am delighted that we met your needs during this stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

On arrival we carried our luggage into the hotel because no one was there to meet us. We were checked in by an unfriendly lady and let off to find our room on our own and getting lost to get to the room along the way. In the room the toilet cistern could not stop pissing water when cistern tank was full and the safe was not closing. Also the breakfast restaurant was over full and we had to queue outside the restaurant entrance waiting for people to finish eating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in standards experienced upon your arrival. This is most definitely not the arrival experience which we strive to deliver.

Your feedback has been passed onto the front desk manager, in order for her to take the necessary corrective steps to improve on this.

During peak times, the complex offers breakfast in four venues across the two towers, to assist with the high volume of guests. However, there are times, particularly after 09h00, when we run queues in two of the venues as they seem to be the preferred choice. We do however offer guests the choice of dining in the alternative venues.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel staff were excellent, always smiling and so helpful. the hotel room was spotless with great views. I would definetly stay here again. thank you Elangeni for a wonderful holiday.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that the team exceeded your expectations and that you had a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Durban.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I would like to place on record my sincere thanks and appreciation for the outstanding service my family and I enjoyed at the Southern Sun Elangeni and Maharani during our stay this past weekend.

The check in staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient.

We were uncertain about having a late lunch at the Vigour and Verve restaurant on Saturday as we were a group of 11 and mostly vegetarians. Much to our delight the food was delicious and the waiter was fun, competent and ever willing to make our experience a pleasant one. The waiter realised that one of the ladies was celebration her birthday and surprised her with “Happy Birthday” written in chocolate on the dessert she ordered. This certainly put a smile on our faces.

Seeing that there were no baked egg-free desserts available for me, the chef put together a delicious phyllo pastry eggfree dish. As she had to first thaw the pastry, I had to come back 2 hours later to fetch the dessert. Well done for trying. It was delicious – thank you chef!

Furthermore we were taken aback by the volume of people that showed up for breakfast. Once again the team at V&V managed the queue very efficiently and we were seated after a short wait. It was clear that everyone was trying their best to make everyone happy. The breakfast was delicious and the staff were brilliant in bringing us what we needed.

Check out with Ashlin was once again well done. The hotel was clean and we enjoyed our stay.

Our compliments to the chef and his team, as well as the overall team for going the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction at this hotel.

1  Thank Rajin-Mala-Naidoo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed your experience at the new V&V restaurant. The team there are true assets to our complex.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

A bit on the "ancient" side but, nevertheless, brilliant sea side views! A must stay!!! Boasting of three restaurants or is it two? No need to go into town if hungry & feeling a bit under the weather, my favorite, the Grill serves mouth watering meals as they rightfully suggest on their menus!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shingirai
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted thatyou had a memorable stay and enjoyed one of our new additions, Grill Jichana - it certainly is proving to be a popular choice.

The refurbishment programme, which commenced last year is not yet complete, with the bedrooms at the Elangeni tower to undergo their makeover towards the end of the year. I am sure once these bedrooms have been upgraded, this will enhance your future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stay in this Hotel a lot and am I sorry to say that after numerous suggestions and complaints the same issues occur with every visit. The rooms are satisfactory but the room dining and breakfast quality of food and service is poor.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in food standard experienced during your stay. I would like to obtain more detail in order to address this and would appreciate it if you could contact me on Samantha.Croft@tsogosun.com.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very disappointing visit due to the substandard service and lack of care taken by the majority of the staff. A smile and some eye contact would be greatly appreciated for a start. I didnt appreciate the slow and tacky service all weekend. The Spa is a joke and the double bookings are a reflection of the terrible service, I made an appointment for 5pm a week in advance and after trying to appeal to that offensive manager was asked to come back at 11pm, is this realistic? The poor service seems to be a trend when just last week I left another hotel in this Group feeling disappointed.

1  Thank Michael N

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the sub-standard service delivery that you received during your stay. I would like to obtain more detailed feedback and would appreciate it if you could contact me on Samantha.croft@tsogosun.com, which will enable me to take the necessary corrective action.