“Stay at Elangeni” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Durban
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Stay at Elangeni”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hotel was clean and tidy. Staff were courteous and polite. The hotel is well located and had a great view of the sea and beach. Easy to walk across road to beach. Would have preferred to have a walk-in shower instead of tub as bathroom space was limited.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and managed to spend time on our beautiful beach. The bedrooms at the Elangeni form part of the final phase of the refurbishment project, which includes and upgrade to the bathrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to Durban.

Samantha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all the positives:

Very impressive hotel complex in a fantastic location. Very tropical and lush setting especially during the rainy season. And a nice selection of restaurants within the hotel complex.
Breakfasts were good - you could choose between Vigour and Verve in the Maharani section or Ocean Breeze Restaurant on the second floor pool deck in the Elangeni. The breakfast spread was probably better at Ocean Breeze and the views are excellent - but Vigour and Verve was also very nice - somewhat more intimate and inviting. I would suggest trying both - you can't go wrong either way.

Rooms are standard but somewhat small. They have flat screen TV, the usual bathroom amenities and a kettle with tea/coffee, milk sachets and fridge with complimentary juice and water. The bed was really great - I like a hard flat bed and this was excellent.

For the negatives:

On checkin, I was not recognised as a TsogoSun Rewards member at reception, but more importantly was not given any information about the hotel facilities unless I asked for it. This included hotel parking and its location, breakfast options, hotel offerings etc.

More importantly, the room I was given had a huge concrete pillar blocking out the entire left half of the sea view so that I could only see the southern part of Marine Parade and the beachfront. If I had known this in advance I would have either ensured a different room or stayed elsewhere. When paying an average of R1800 per night one would expect to have a full sea view in this hotel - or at least be advised when reserving the room that there was an obstruction to the view. My room number was 2533.

What was particularly confusing was the day before my arrival, I was phoned and e-mailed by the hotel to confirm that I would be staying at the hotel. This despite the fact that I had already paid for the entire stay in advance. They also asked whether I needed parking for my car which I indicated that I did. However when I checked in, I still needed to enquire about parking and had to make the reservation for the car at that time so I don't understand the point of asking me to confirm this in advance. It was during this e-mail correspondence the day before I arrived that I specifically asked for a sea-facing room on a higher floor which is why it was so disappointing to be given a room which significantly obscured the entire left half of the sea view.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose room 2533 - be sure to check whether the huge concrete pillars housing the external li...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PeterCF44
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the poor communication received from the reservations team. Your feedback has been passed onto our Web team, in order to ensure that guests who book via the web are aware of the partial sea view when booking this room type.

Whilst all reservations with deposits are considered guaranteed, during peak periods we do make contact with guests in order to confirm the reservations. The reservations team should however have passed all relevant information onto the front desk team, in order to streamline your arrival process.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Maharani was booked for our family holiday with much trepidation but what a fantastic surprise we got. The hotel's staff members were straight out of the top drawer and nothing was too much trouble - even Durban July tickets at the last minute. The renovation is a huge success and our rooms were very well appointed. Please use this hotel at every opportunity - I know we will.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that the Maharani exceeded your expectations and look forward to you making this tower your destination of choice when in Durban.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Clean rooms and good views. Room service was good. Check-in was very poorly managed. We received our first room (interleading a suite) at 13h30 whilst the suite was being cleaned. The keys to the suite were withheld as we had apparently not paid for the room, this dispite a confirmed deposit being paid. I went down and paid the full amount. In room dining(first night) called to say that I needed to pay for the meal ordered, in cash downstairs. Second trip to front desk to enquire why no amount was taken off my card for incidentals when we checked in was met with a blank stare. On check out we were charged R800 for pool towels, luckily I had decided to read the invoice before paying and the cost was removed. The spa was a total farce and we had to get dressed and leave before things went even more wrong. Service was certainly not a strong point of this establishment and we will not be staying here again. Pity as it has such a proud history...

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service standards experienced during your stay. I would like to make contact with you to obtain more details in order that these can be addressed. Please could you contact me on Samantha.Croft@tsogosun.com.

Cape Town, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Arriving @the desk to check-in I was not greeted with a smile &she was chewing gum!She was annoyed with me I think.. on top of it she mentions in her language that we are annoying kids &I am an ADULT!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the manner in which you were treated upon arrival. Your feedback has been passed onto the front desk manager, in order for her to take the appropriate corrective action with the receptionist concerned.

I would like to assure you that this is most definitely not the standard that we pride ourselves on delivering.

North Bend
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed with our two boys (10 & 13). In general, most buildings in Durban seem very dated - I think Southern Sun is likely the best of the options. Loved the location - right across from the beach (lifeguards on duty), and boardwalk/golden mile (we rented bikes in the morning) - where there is a ton of activity (even a skateboard park). We were on the 12th floor and a nice view of the ocean. We felt very safe in this location. The hotel itself was also very nice - the only downsides were a very small room (but nicely done) and garage parking didn't seem to be serviced by elevator (we lugged our luggage down the stairs but of course could have driven around or gotten bellhop to take them). The heated pool was right next to the bar so you could either sit in or out and watch the kids swimming. The exercise facility was fairly nice (except weird leaky roof right as you entered with water being caught by buckets - not sure where it was coming from). We absolutely loved the Daruma (Japanese restaurant) where we could sit in front of the tappenyaki grill and watch our food being cooked - kids loved it and the food was very good. We also thought the breakfast buffet was also very good with omelette bar and wide variety of fruits, meats, pasteries, etc. We were only there for one night - for a longer visit, the small room may have been difficult for the four of us but for short stay, not a big deal. Beds/pillows were comfortable, bathroom was also a bit small but fine.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that despite only spending one night, you managed to experience a number of our facilities at the hotel, as well as the promenade (which really is one of Durban's greatest assets).

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Durban.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I checked in on the 30th of June with my partner. I requested an early checkin which was granted. The front dest was very professional as well as the porters. The room was very neat with a breath taking ocean view. Guys keep up the good work and I shall recommend this hotel to friends. In your Rates include Breakfast.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zola m
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and will recommend us to your family and friends. Look out for our leisure rates on our website, as these usually include breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.