“Winter Holiday”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel complex has recently been refurbished. We had a superior room on the 27 th floor with great views over the beach front. The staff were friendly and always helpful, with a nember of staff going the mile. The restuarants are well priced, portions generous and food good. Breakast on the 2 nd floor next to the pool was stunning. On the downside, housekeeping was a bit of a hit and miss and a full service at the pool on the 32nd floor missing.

Room Tip: The higher up the better
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Samantha C, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your valuable feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service standards experienced during your stay. Your comments have been passed onto our Executive Houskeeper, for her immediate attention.

I am delighted that despite these shortcomings, you had a memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was booked by my Company in the Elangeni Durban for our Board Meeting and AGM. The experience was enjoyable and great.
We ate the first evening in the Restaurant in the Maharani. The steak I ordered was cooked to my taste. When I ask for a quiet place to phone my wife, the waiter took me to the wine tasting room where I could phone my wife in absolute quiet atmosphere between the wine bottles in the Cellar.
The wine list is impressive and good value for money (cheaper than in Gauteng).
For both nights I slept like a king with the sun rising over the sea in the morning!
Breakfast was excellent.
I can recommend this venue as one of the best I experienced.

Room Tip: All the rooms are sea facing. I slept on the 19th floor and the view was magnificent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jansteve_12

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed your experience at Grill Jichana.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 1 August 2014

A local university arranged a 4-day workshop and accommodation at this venue, this week. I was most pleasantly surprised!

As I understand it, this is one large hotel spread over 2 buildings. Depending on the arrangement you have with them you could stay in 1 building and have your meals (dinner or breakfast) in either of the 2 buildings. The Maharani, the one I stayed in, was a short walk from the Elangeni.

Maharani reception staff, Atisha and Zanele, were very warm, welcoming and helpful. Front staff, were also quite patient with numerous queries around WiFi, mixed up keycards and meals - especially as we were a large group of people from all around Africa.

The room and shower was spacious, airy, comfortable and clean. I was lucky to have a sea-facing view from the 11th floor. The room has a large TV,writing desk, bar fridge, safe and good WiFi. On the one night, the Internet was down for more than a few hours, however. Housekeeping was very efficient if you needed an iron and ironing board, too!

The workshop venue, on the 2nd floor, was large and conveniently situated. Their was a technical person on standby during the workshop. There was more than enough drinks and food at tea-times. Christina? Charlene? Catherine ? - did a good great job of serving delegates during these much needed breaks.

The pool on the 32nd floor is a must-do if you have the time. Spectacular view from the roof with the beach on one end and Moses Mabhida stadium on the other. Very relaxing after a long day of workshopping!

I had dinner one night at the Elangeni buffet. There was a large selection of many foods that catered for all tastes. Being a vegetarian - I did wish there was more than a biryani on the night - but there was enough other salads and soups and deserts to make up. I did enjoy the breakfast buffet however - served at Maharani. A massive range of cereals, breads, cheeses, eggs etc. with flapjacks, too! A great way to start the morning!

I would recommend this venue for business...and seeing the large number of families, I assume it is quite popular for holidays, too.
Well done to the hotel team - keep it up!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 11th floor in the 30's (e.g 1131, 1133 etc) - great sea facing views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Samantha C, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani was launched in May 2013 as a new destination complex in Durban. The hotel has two towers, however, operates as one hotel, with food & beverage facilities in both towers, which offer our guests a variety of dining experiences.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Well im loving this hotel its been almost 6 years now spending my holidays and my special occassion with them.Please keep up the good work you a rendering an outstanding perfomance with your hospitality..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that we are your hotel of choice when creating memories in Durban.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hitel front desk was very welcoming even upgrading our room as we walked in with a screaming baby. Housekeeping is a bit lacking but the new bathrooms are a very welcome improvement from before. I think they are still renovation as we heard banging and drilling from very early on in the morning. The room was a bit cold for our baby and the aircon apparently only cools not heats however the hotel did provide us with heaters the next day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The bedrooms at the Elangeni tower form part of the final phase of the refurbishment. We are currently finalising the scope of works. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disturbance caused by the work currently being done to our mock-up rooms.

I am delighted that despite the disturbance, you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The last time I stayed at this hotel it was one of 3 hotels on the strip in an area that was not very safe.

Things have changed this time around with the 3 hotels being one and the area seems much safer than before.

The staff are friendly, the rooms upgraded and there's so much to do within the hotel that it seems like the kind of hotel that I can stay in without having to leave the building.

I want to bring my family through the next time around. It's a much family friendlier place than ever before.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Loyiso

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The city of Durban has indeed transformed - the promenade certainly has plenty to offer families who wish to be on the Durban beachfront. I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I received a good welcome by the staff was very friendly accommodative. The checking in process and the room I stayed in was top class. During check out process I received an excellent service since was rushing for a workshop so it was quick as if the staff was aware of my exigency.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.