“A nice comfortable hotel with great views from the room”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I stayed here for 9 nights (Test Cricket) and without doubt would recommend it for anyone looking for a good standard 4* hotel with wonderful sweeping panoramic views of the Indian Ocean and beach area from the room. The hotel is situated on North Beach which in my view is preferable to South Beach. The beach is about a 100 metres away and there are long walks along the front for about half an hour - very relaxing, enjoyable and safe during the day but not at night.

The rooms are fairly modest but perfectly adequate. My room 1514 didn't have a mini bar and only an old style television. The rooms are air conditioned but for some reason I found them perfectly comfortable without it on. Don't leave your bedroom window open when not in the room as you may have a visit from pigeons! The main plus of the rooms is undoubtedly the great views from it. The laundry available via the hotel is good and cheap.

A slightly unusual lift system in that there are different lifts for different floors. For floors 13 upwards there are 4 lifts which are efficient with no long waits. There are 3 restaurants - Indian and Japanese which are franchised but apparently good. I can speak very highly of the large main restaurant which does really excellent breakfasts. In the evening it is buffet dinner only but again first class and only R185. An excellent variety of food and they will cook you say salmon, steak ofrchops etc while you wait. Also there is a beef and lamb roast every night - the fussiest of eaters would be spoiled for choice. A good sized bar.

Internet access is not cheap at R90 an hour - 2 screens available on the first floor but it is secure although not the quickest and could cut out on occasions although the staff are helpful when this happens. There are two outdoor pools with the one at the front, overlooking the sea, a good size with tables round it.

I found reception friendly and helpful and the concierges were always eager to help - probably too much so, in the expectation of a tip. There are plenty of taxis outside the hotel and it is just as easy to do a direct deal with them than getting the desk to arrange it for you and take part of the taxi drivers fee. Shashis white taxis were very reliable. There is a really superb smallish Spar supermarket just round the corner that just about has everything you could need.

I was here to watch the South Africa v Australia Test series and both teams were staying here although that may partially have been because Southern Sun Hotels were one of the sponsors of the series. However I have been here before when the Australians again stayed here. It is true that you are not recommended to go for a walk outside the hotel at night but that in my view would apply to any hotel in Durban - fact I am afraid but not an issue to me.

In summary, this is a good 4* hotel on the preferable North Beach. Great views from the rooms and excellent meals in the main restaurant. I have stayed here 3 times now, each time for a week+ and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed 5 April 2009

We stayed in this hotel, because we wanted an ocean view from the room. Hotel has a nice location right along the beach, and the rooms facing the ocean have stunning views (but no balcony). Other than this, there is nothing much special about the room. Beds are very comfortable, but bathroom was not great. Room service was good, they delivered breakfasts right on time. The front desk however were not very efficient. Although we confirmed several times that we have extended our stay, they messed up our check-out date. When we returned to room, keys did not work, and security were in our room trying to work out what to do with our luggage, which was not cool. Other than that, we found that hotel was a bit run down, with very strange lifts (it took a while to get them running). There is parking available, but you need to pay 50 rants per day. Also, there was internet in the business center, but the prices were astronomic, so we went to an internet cafe nearby. You can stay there for the location (ocean views), but having said that, the neighbourhood did not feel safe at night.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bahadir
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My daughter and I stayed here while on vacation for three nights, and the experience exceeded our expectations.  We were especially impressed with the service, which was very friendly and very accomodating.  For example, we were having evening drinks in the lounge (very nice) when my daughter realized she needed a phone card.  We asked the bartender if the hotel sold phone cards or if there was a store nearby where we could purchase one.  She said we shouldn't go out by ourselves after dark, and she called over another hotel employee and instructed him to go buy a phone card for us.  He returend in less than 10 min. with the card in hand!  It was too chilly to take advantage of the rooftop pool for swimming, but we enjoyed the beautiful view and ordered drinks on the house phone, which were delivered promptly.  We had a game drive scheduled for the two days following our stay at the hotel; we were able to store the bulk of our luggage at the hotel until we returned even though we had officially checked out, and had no trouble retrieving it safe and sound when we got back to Durban.  Our room was small but clean and nicely appointed.  We were on the 16th floor, and heard minimal street noise.  We enjoyed socializing in the lobby in the evenings while sipping the house-provided drinks.  If I remember correctly, I think we paid about $89 American per night for our stay, and the exchange rate at the time was about $1 to 7.5 rand, so the advertise prices on this site seem high to me - I would definitely look around for a better deal.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank bookbug57
Reviewed 11 February 2009

What a delight. A 4 star that tries to be a 5. The standard buffets for breakfast and especially dinner were the best I have ever come across. The whole stay was spectacular value for money.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nigelchism
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Nice hotel, few meters from beach, that's just across the road. All rooms have stunning view of ocean. Our room was spacious and well decorated.
Golden Mile "street" passes right under the hotel, but it has never been a problem for us even in the busy days around Christmas.

Staff has always been friendly and very helpful.

Food, both at beakfast and dinner, has been the best of all Southern suns we've been too. Really good and the choice was quite large.

Definetily would recommend it. Especially the meals. They are really worth the stay....

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank r2008m
Reviewed 4 November 2008

The hotel is located across the street from the beach and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the police had set up check points on certain sections of the road in front of the hotel which made me feel safe. The lobby and public areas of the hotel were very nice. The rooms, on the other hand, felt as though they were lacking. I think that it can be compared to a nice three star hotel in the United States. Difference here though is that this hotel is in a central location and has a nearby beach. I was surprised to find that some things felt as though they were missing during the stay. Generally, I am used to finding a clock inside the room but they didn't have one. It was actually quite frustrating as I didn't have a mobile phone or watch with me. The rooms were clean, had working air conditioning and the bathrooms were nice. The hotel elevators did stop working for a couple of hours. The staff was very helpful and tried to fix the problem as soon as they could, so I have no problem suggesting this hotel to anyone as a good place to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank CityGuy07052
Reviewed 15 October 2008

The overall experience at the Elangeni was very nice. From the friendly check-in, the room (it is a bit on the small side but newly decorated) , the restaurants, bars and the lovely breakfast. I will recommend the hotel for anybody who want to stay on the Durban beachfront. It is also situated in a relative safer area and close to the main beach and lots of great restaurants. I also must mention the great service we got at the breakfast room.
The only beach hotels what is better than this one is the Beverley Hills, The Sands and Cabana Beach in Umhlanga Rocks but no other in Durban itself.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends