“Great place to stay if going to the ICC!”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Gainesville, Florida
“Great place to stay if going to the ICC!”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This is my 4th and last day staying at this Hilton and it is fantastic. I am a Hilton gold VIP member and this stay is one of the nicest experiences I have had staying at a Hilton family hotel. I was fortunate enough to stay on one of the executive floors (they have several so your chances of getting on one of these floors is good if you are HHonors gold or above) and had access to the executive lounge on the 14th floor where you have a private breakfast, high tea with pastries and sandwiches from 3-5pm, wonderful hot finger food from 6-8pm, free drinks and fruit all day, and complimentary alcoholic drinks from 6-10:30pm. I haven't really had to buy any meals at all since I've been in Durban. The internet is reliable and Hilton gives you 15 minutes free, or unlimited if you are a gold VIP member. If you are in the U.S. and know you are coming here for a few days, it is worth considering getting an HHonors Am Ex card. We used ours for groceries and gas before we came and accumulated enough points for 2 free nights here and you get gold VIP status for the first year. We booked our other 2 nights through a website called Hotelopia which gave us an early discount booking rate of $150. night. There is a nice view of the Indian Ocean and my room (which I am in now) is clean, beautifully decorated, and has a very comfortable King bed. I love the Crabtree and Eveyn amenities which are restocked everyday. If you are coming to Durban, it is a good idea to bring plenty of 10ZAR notes for tips which are customary (although not required) for extra services. There are adapters built in for several countries on the desk and you can choose ethernet (they have a cable) or wireless internet, or use the business center computer if you don't have one. A hairdryer is wired into the desk drawer in front of a large mirror. If you have a gmail account for email, you can download a little software program from google and make free calls back to the U.S. with unlimited talk time which is an easy and inexpensive way to stay in touch with home via your computer. A large lcd tv is in the room with connection to Dish satellite, so there are more channel options, including CNN International , Discovery Channel and ESPN. There is a large desk work area with a nice lamp, a kettle and tea and coffee selection as well as an ice bucket that is filled twice a day. There is a fitness center (which is being renovated) and pool (although too cold in the winter now for me).
The room service is very good and includes a turndown service at night. If you don't want them to bother you, you can just hang a little "I'm resting" sign on your door which they have respected.
This is the perfect place to stay if you are attending a conference at the ICC as it is just really a few yards away and safe to walk to. However, I would not recommend you go out at night walking around as that probably would be risky most places in town. A taxi is always readily available here at the Hilton. I also, during the day, used a bus called the "People Mover" which will take you around the city and only costs 4 ZAR per trip or 10 ZAR for an all day pass and went to the Indian Market and then walked to the Botanical Gardens.
Finally, and maybe most importantly, I want to say a word about the customer service I had here. It could not have been better. The staff has gone out of there way to make sure every need is taken care of and they are friendly and professional. I would not hesitate to recommend this Hilton to anyone, especially if you are going to the ICC.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank scotsgirl66
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Dear Valued Hilton Honours Gold Member

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had a memorable stay at Hilton Durban. We are proud about our Hotel, and delivering all The Hilton Honours Benefits to our members.

Yes we have to agreed, the ‘People Mover ‘, is a good source of public transport to move around town during the day, and the fair is reasonable. We always have a taxi at our porte coche readily available to transport our guests wherever they would like to go.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to Hilton Durban.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Jodhpur, India
Reviewed 22 June 2011

It was my third stay at the fabulous Hilton Hotel. Terrific, friendly property. Beth and the rest of the staff are just so incredibly helpful with all aspects of your visit. We were unsure about coming to Durban but after finding Hilton and roaming the neighborhood we found it fantastically metropolitan. The hotel was perfectly clean, smart and elegant. Beautifully designed, sophisticated, and trendy. AMAZING breakfast! This hotel is perfect for a night out at a gorgeous boutique hotel and a short walk to wonderful restaurants and bars!

Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your warm and kind words about our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are glad that you had a fantastic stay with us. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel will run you around $200 US dollars a night so it's not cheap. I felt the accommodations were nice; my room had a top-notch view of the city. The exercise facilities were pretty good for a hotel and the swimming pool was adequate. Two highlights were the service and the restaurant. The staff were cordial, helpful, and very friendly. In terms of the restaurant, every meal was served via a huge buffet spread of wonderful food options -- you won't be disappointed! While there are plenty of other hotels in the area, this Hilton was in a convenient, safe area. If you have a couple extra bucks to spare, you can't miss with this choice for your stay.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 18 June 2011
Dear Johnna
Thank you for your response. We strive for service excellence and we are continuously working on making our product better. Just to inform you we are currently upgrading our gym and on your return your experience would be even better. Yes the location is safe, convenient and has excellent views of the city and the Indian Ocean. Thank you for your valued feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.
south africa
Reviewed 24 May 2011

we left anoter horrible hotel to come here instead, i must say it was very enjoyable the rooms are nice and clean great value for money. the food was amazing. breakfast is big and delicious. cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
johannesburg
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I've stayed at many 5 star hotels in gauteng including intercontinental sandton towers, intercontinental or tambo. I spent 2 nights here in april thinking I was going to have a 5 star weekend in durban. The rooms look horribly dated, the shower area is the worst, the bedding and bed feel like a formula one hotel...I'm not kidding. The staff are all very friendly though but that is not enough. This hotel does not come close to a lot of 4 star hotels I've stayed at. I will not be returning to this property ever again!

• Stayed April 2011
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 5 May 2011

It may not be right on the beachfront like some of the other Durban hotels, but what it lacks in location it makes up for in quality of staff. I've stayed in hotels around the world, and never had such attention to detail, or such a warm welcome on arrival. Staff that remember your baby's name the next day deserve a medal, never mind ones that personally come and find you later just to bring baby a little gift. I have never experienced such friendly staff in a hotel. Well done Durban Hilton, we will be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank thepeckster
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I have stayed in some fairly grim Hiltons in my life and didn't quite trust the high ranking this one got in Durban. Anyway, I put my trust in TripAdvisor ... and I needn't have worried.

I'll start with the negatives:
- Our shower leaked all over the floor. This problem should have been spotted before we got there. However, it was very quickly rectified.
- My main gripe, is that there was only 15 mins of free internet. I really don't think that you should have to pay for WiFi internet in a five star hotel. In fact, the absence of this facility is often enough to make me book a different hotel ... one with free WiFi. And the WiFi was very expensive.

The rest of the hotel was fabulous. Every member of staff was helpful, polite and friendly. Special praise must go to Nogukhayna, working in the Executive Lounge on the 14th floor; a real credit to this hotel and someone who was charming, very efficient and very helpful. And the service in the Executive lounge was first class; drinks were served with aplomb, and very efficiently, and the food was excellent at breakfast with real, delicious scrambled egg in the buffet section and very freshly squeezed orange juice.

The main restaurant was good as well, with an extensive buffet and a la carte options (although it was a little cold in there on one evening).

I did wonder where the staff had been trained. They were all trained to a very high standard and seemed to be able to tailor their service depending on where you were from. So, being British, the dregs were left in the bottle of red wine at dinner (and not emptied into the glass, as seems to be the way in South Africa) and they didn't remove the plates as soon as we'd finished a course but rather left them for a few minutes after everyone at the table had finished. It is one of my huge annoyances about eating in South Africa that plates are cleared away as soon as you've put the cutlery down. But it seemed here that the British were treated to a more European style of service and the locals to a style of service that they prefer. Each to their own, but full marks to the hotel to get this level of individual service correct.

The room was very comfortable, parking was very easy and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. But please Hilton, get the WiFi sorted out.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple