“Good service but rooms feel a bit tired”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The Hilton hotel in Durban is well positioned if you are travelling for business, it is right by the ICC and close to town, however if I was going on holiday I would rather be closer to the beach as the hotel is located quite far off the beachfront.

The service at the hotel was very good, as one would expect from a hotel of this standard however I felt that the rooms did feel a bit tired. Specifically the bathroom in the room that I had felt very old fashioned and was in need of a renovation. I had room service on the day that I arrived at the hotel and the food was very nice and reasonably priced for room service. The one thing they could do with is more of a selection of soft drinks on the room service menu as I would have liked an Iced Tea rather than having to have a coke.

The breakfast that was served was varied and had everything from fresh fruit to hot breakfasts. Again the food was of a high standard.

All in all the Hilton is a comfortable business hotel that I would happily stay in for another night or short stay though I am not sure if I would want to spend a full week there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks towards the beach as the town view is not great.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Dear Ingsim004

Thank you for your constructive feedback, we are constantly looking at ways to better our services to you, our valued guest.

I am pleased to advise that the hotel has just completed the installation of new beds and the latest in TV technology in all our rooms. We have also just re-opened our fully refurbished fitness centre with state of the art Technogym equipment.

With regards to our room service beverage options – we will investigate our selection in line with guest requests and try to deliver on your preferences. Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions.

We hope to see you again soon at the Hilton Durban.

Warm Regards

Roshini Naidoo
Journey Ambassador

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Currently living in Johannesburg, Durban is our closest seaside so we try and make the trip fairly frequently and no trip would be complete without staying at the Hilton. Greeted like old friends and welcome guests is the start of a good weekend.
The hotel is well maintained, clean, with friendly, welcoming staff.
The hotel is situated right next door to the International Convention Centre, close to the magnificent Moses Madhiba Stadium and waterfront areas, including Ushaka Marine Centre where there is a Water Theme Park and Aquarium, so it is ideally placed in the city.
Whilst we were there this time the hotel was host to many of the delegates from a huge international conference for deaf people, the restaurant was packed in the evening but the whole staff were magnificent dealing with all customers with courteousness, patience and calm, the Restaurant Manager (sorry didn't catch her name) was especially brilliant.
It also lives up to the excellent Hilton breakfast reputation.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Both Sea View and City View sides of the Hotel have something to offer so don't worry about whic...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DerbyshireGee
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear Valued Guest

On Behalf of the Hilton Team we would like to thank you for your genuine feedback. I am glad you have made Hilton Durban your place to stay when you take your seaside weekend breaks and holidays.

With the welcoming and friendly staff we try to create a home away from home atmosphere for all our guests, and meet any special needs they may have.

Hilton Durban is in the heart of all the major attractions around Durban making it very accessible to get too.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.

Roshini Naidoo
Journey Ambassador

Reviewed 6 July 2011

The Hilton Durban is a comfortable place to stay, but i wouldnt say it is a 5 star hotel.

The rooms were on the small side and slightly outdated, the beds slightly uncomfortable.
The shower was nice with a good pressure shower head, only down side with the bathroom was the lighting was very faint.
Although it is not very close to the beach, it doesnt take much to walk there, and from our room we did have a view which was amazing.

We ordered room service for dinner, as we were very tired. the food was amazing very high standard, and arrived in good time.

It was abit daunting that in the hotel room they had a badly drawn map that showed you the safest places to walk around Durban and empisised that your room could get broken into......(we did go for a walk and didnt take the maps advise, we got back just fine)

The service from staff was excellent, very friendly and helpfull.

If i was to return to Durban i most likley wouldnt stay at the Hilton again, but try something different and closer to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Jeanette MN

Thank you for your constructive feedback, as we are always looking at positive ways in which to better our hotel. I am sorry that you felt the beds were a bit uncomfortable and the rooms slightly outdated.

I am however proud to let you know we have just completed a soft refurbishment at our hotel, whereby all our bedrooms have been upgraded to Hilton Serenity Beds by Serta and 40 inch LED Samsung televisions sets in all our rooms. The hotel has also completed a refurbishment of our gym which is now inline with international gym equipment.

The hotel does pride itself in the safety of our guests as the hotel is in the middle of the City.

I am glad you found the staff excellent, friendly and helpful.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Durban.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 28 June 2011

This is a great hotel if you've got a meeting at the International Conference Centre, which is literally right next door. Ask for a room on the upper floors so you can get a view of the city. The hotel is nicely appointed and so are the rooms. There is a restaurant that serves an extensive buffet menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The selection is wide and global, particularly the fruits they bring in - dragon fruit and prickly pear to name just two. All the staff are extremely courteous and provide great service. The hotel is a bit pricey for business. We paid about $170 USD per night. There is a swimming pool and fitness rooms. The main fitness room is currently being renovated so they have placed the equipment in two other rooms temporarily. The lobby of the hotel has a small coffee shop and some gift shops. The hotel is located towards the south beach area of Durban and is not on the beach although you can see the beach from the hotel. The hotel was not designed to be a resort or beach hotel and it works well for what it is: a business hotel with all the amenities. Crime is a problem in Durban so use extreme caution when venturing out. Go with friends and go in a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors on ocean facing side
1  Thank basbousa
HiltonDurban, Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to comment about our staff and hotel. Its great to hear your requests were met and you were able to enjoy the beautiful views of the city. Our hotel does have most stunning views of the City and the Indian Ocean.
The selection on our buffet is global and our Chefs are constantly working on producing the Best Hilton Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner’s.
I am proud to inform you the new and renovated gym is completed, with the latest international gym equipment and great outdoor views whilst you use the facilities.
We do have a transfer and taxi service for guests wanting to venture out, as our guests safety is very important to us.
I once again would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

The Hilton Durban is a modern building in central Durban very conveniently located next door to the convention centre. I stay in a lot of Hilton properties and in some ways this is one of the better ones. I stayed on the executive floor and had check-in there and access to the wonderful lounge. The staff were fantastic and made a point of remembering my name every time they saw me. The breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks and snacks were fabulous. It also has a charming roof terrace. My room (14th floor) was great. Spotlessly clean and well appointed. I requested a sea view and got one. The bathroom was great and well equipped. All in all it was very comfortable indeed. The food in the main restaurant was good but not great and the service was a little bit haphazard at times. I enjoyed my stay but there were three irritations. Firstly, the Wifi. Surely, it's about time that Hilton just gave free Wifi to everyone like so many other hotels. However, if one does have to pay for it, it's not unreasonable to expect it to work! Anyone I spoke to who had an Apple product (such as an iphone or ipad) couldn't get Wifi to function properly - I managed to get on a couple of times after a struggle but there is clearly something wrong with the system. Secondly, there isn't really a bar in the hotel. There's a lobby coffee shop that serves drinks that looks a bit like a university student union coffee shop - it has computers on IKEA type shelves at one end! And then there's more of a night club style bar (that I didn't ever see open). Given the business / conference nature of the property they could really do with a lounge bar. Thirdly, the gym is well equipped but is located in two unused meeting rooms on the conference floor. The two rooms still have carpet in them and not proper gym flooring. This is really unsafe and terribly unhygienic - it needs to be sorted. I would stay at the Hilton Durban again and can highly recommend the Executive floor.

Room Tip: Stay on the Executive floors!

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your feedback. The Hotel is closely situated near the ICC and it makes it very easy access for guests staying at our hotel and attending conferences at the ICC.
I am glad we were able to meet your request for a sea view room, as we strive on meeting all our guests requests. With regards to the Wifi, the Hotel is currently working on having Wifi access across the entire hotel.
We do have a Rivets Bar which is open from 11h00 until late that has a wide selection of national and international alcohol.
During your visit our gym was under renovations however we now have a fabulous new gym, with state of the art equipment to meet the needs of our international travellers. We thank you once again for your valued feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

This is my 4th and last day staying at this Hilton and it is fantastic. I am a Hilton gold VIP member and this stay is one of the nicest experiences I have had staying at a Hilton family hotel. I was fortunate enough to stay on one of the executive floors (they have several so your chances of getting on one of these floors is good if you are HHonors gold or above) and had access to the executive lounge on the 14th floor where you have a private breakfast, high tea with pastries and sandwiches from 3-5pm, wonderful hot finger food from 6-8pm, free drinks and fruit all day, and complimentary alcoholic drinks from 6-10:30pm. I haven't really had to buy any meals at all since I've been in Durban. The internet is reliable and Hilton gives you 15 minutes free, or unlimited if you are a gold VIP member. If you are in the U.S. and know you are coming here for a few days, it is worth considering getting an HHonors Am Ex card. We used ours for groceries and gas before we came and accumulated enough points for 2 free nights here and you get gold VIP status for the first year. We booked our other 2 nights through a website called Hotelopia which gave us an early discount booking rate of $150. night. There is a nice view of the Indian Ocean and my room (which I am in now) is clean, beautifully decorated, and has a very comfortable King bed. I love the Crabtree and Eveyn amenities which are restocked everyday. If you are coming to Durban, it is a good idea to bring plenty of 10ZAR notes for tips which are customary (although not required) for extra services. There are adapters built in for several countries on the desk and you can choose ethernet (they have a cable) or wireless internet, or use the business center computer if you don't have one. A hairdryer is wired into the desk drawer in front of a large mirror. If you have a gmail account for email, you can download a little software program from google and make free calls back to the U.S. with unlimited talk time which is an easy and inexpensive way to stay in touch with home via your computer. A large lcd tv is in the room with connection to Dish satellite, so there are more channel options, including CNN International , Discovery Channel and ESPN. There is a large desk work area with a nice lamp, a kettle and tea and coffee selection as well as an ice bucket that is filled twice a day. There is a fitness center (which is being renovated) and pool (although too cold in the winter now for me).
The room service is very good and includes a turndown service at night. If you don't want them to bother you, you can just hang a little "I'm resting" sign on your door which they have respected.
This is the perfect place to stay if you are attending a conference at the ICC as it is just really a few yards away and safe to walk to. However, I would not recommend you go out at night walking around as that probably would be risky most places in town. A taxi is always readily available here at the Hilton. I also, during the day, used a bus called the "People Mover" which will take you around the city and only costs 4 ZAR per trip or 10 ZAR for an all day pass and went to the Indian Market and then walked to the Botanical Gardens.
Finally, and maybe most importantly, I want to say a word about the customer service I had here. It could not have been better. The staff has gone out of there way to make sure every need is taken care of and they are friendly and professional. I would not hesitate to recommend this Hilton to anyone, especially if you are going to the ICC.

1  Thank scotsgirl66

Dear Valued Hilton Honours Gold Member

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had a memorable stay at Hilton Durban. We are proud about our Hotel, and delivering all The Hilton Honours Benefits to our members.

Yes we have to agreed, the ‘People Mover ‘, is a good source of public transport to move around town during the day, and the fair is reasonable. We always have a taxi at our porte coche readily available to transport our guests wherever they would like to go.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to Hilton Durban.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

It was my third stay at the fabulous Hilton Hotel. Terrific, friendly property. Beth and the rest of the staff are just so incredibly helpful with all aspects of your visit. We were unsure about coming to Durban but after finding Hilton and roaming the neighborhood we found it fantastically metropolitan. The hotel was perfectly clean, smart and elegant. Beautifully designed, sophisticated, and trendy. AMAZING breakfast! This hotel is perfect for a night out at a gorgeous boutique hotel and a short walk to wonderful restaurants and bars!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your warm and kind words about our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and we are glad that you had a fantastic stay with us. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.