“Good corporate hotel no longer goes the extra mile”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 10 November 2011

As a wedding gift, I booked this hotel for my younger sister for two nights as a mini-honeymoon. I have stayed there previously when on business some years ago, and remembered it fondly as a hotel that,despite its size, provided personalised extras for special occasions (such as an upgrade to the exec floor, a fruit basket in my room, etc) when they were informed by my boss that I was having a birthday during my business stay there.
Sadly, such personal touches are a thing of the past - despite twice stressing that I was booking my sister in for her wedding night and the following night, there was absolutely no acknowledgement of this for the bridal pair. I informed the hotel upon booking and gain upon check in. The room allocated was nice (typical hilton standard, I saw it when i dropped the bride off to dress for her wedding) but the newly weds spent real little time in their room, as there was a luncheon function at the in-laws the following day. Despite this, they had to request (beg?) for a late checkout twice before the request was granted, even though it was obvious that the hotel was nowhere near full capacity, and despite the fact that my sister and her husband had spent a considerable amount on room service and other food at the hotel. Considering I could have booked a beachfront hotel at a similar rate to the 'special' price I paid for my gift to my sister, I must admit to keen disappointment that the Durban Hilton did so little to make this a memorable occasion for a couple that very rarely has an opportunity to experience a deluxe hotel.
I'm afraid I will no longer recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues travelling to Durban on business or holiday, as a similar experience can be had at a lower price at other chain hotels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. I will follow up with our reservations and front office department as to why your bridal party was not acknowledged as this is certainly not our standard, I am glad to hear that you found our rooms nice.
With regards to late check outs we do try to accommodate our guests as far as possible, however should there be high occupancies on the date that the late check out is requested, we will unfortunately not be able to assist in a late check out.
I once again would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations to the fullest and hope we can welcome you back to give you a true Hilton Experience.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Modern, clean hotel. Breakfast was great. Convenient parking.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

Dear Mr ConorH

Thank you for your great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Visited the hotel a few years back and was highly impressed with the standard, service, design etc. However, on a recent trip, I was rather disappointed.

Upon entering the room for the first time, it seemed as if someone had just taken a nap on the bed - linen was untidy. The carpet had a few stains all over it giving the entire room a dirty feel. Reception did, however, change our room immediately after complaining.

My overall view is that this hotel is very old and in need of an urgent refurbishment. Its the second time I had a room with a dirty carpet and it seems as if there is no real effort in maintaining the hotel to a good Hilton standard. The furniture and fittings are extremely outdated and need to be changed.

On a good note, the service is still great and staff are friendly. Executive lounge is lovely with a delicious continental breakfast.

Will I return? Once a refurbishment has been done that restores the hotel to its former glory, yes I most certainly will.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a sea view. Request these, they are lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank thehotelhopper1

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the appearance of our hotel. Our hotel has recently undergone a soft refurbishment, of whereby we had new serenity beds and new TV installed in our rooms. We have also upgraded our gym with new innovative gym equipment.

I am glad the service and staff were able to meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at hotel 29 to 31stOct 2011.Fantastic staff ! Fantastic service ! Fantastic hotel ! Stayed there for years before I retired and it was always a fantastic place to stay.Unfortunately, now that I am retired, I can only stay there once a year.Already saving for next year ! We will be back....................! The ONLY hotel to stay in Durban.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent !!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Mr Hermann

Thank you so much for your kind words, and I am glad we were able to give you a true Hilton Moment. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I spent the weekend with my wife and 2 kids at the weekend. This was not my first visit as I had attended conferences and stayed over at the Hilton in the past. My wife and kids were overwhelmed with both the decor and layout out the hotel, coupled with the fantastic service that we received. There was a minor issue, pertaining to the delay in the cleaning of the rooms, but the follow up by the Front Office Manager, William made up for the initial disappointment. They even went to the extent of offering us a wonderful snack basket to make up for the anomaly.My wife is already planning the next visit to this excellent hotel and as a local Durbanite, I am incredibly proud of what Durban can offer through places like the Hilton Hotel.

Room Tip: The sea- views are breathtaking and also provides a fantastic view of the Sahara Cricket Stadium as...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Mr Sealan

Thank you for your response. I am glad you and your family had a wonderful stay at Hilton Durban. I am sorry there was a delay in the cleaning of your room and please be advised that it has been followed through with our Executive Housekeeper. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Hilton Durban in the near future,

Many Thanks

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed at the Hilton as they had a special offer on for the period we were there. It was the only hotel we stayed at during out tour of South Africa, the rest were guest lodges/b&b's. So, its a Hilton so we know what to expect, very smart well kept and tidy. It predominantly a business hotel though being situated close to the Convention Centre, can get a little anoying with all the suits especially if your on your hols!......the breakfast makes up for this though....AWESOME!!! The evening dinner all you can eat buffet is also well worth it with a great selection especially given the limited restaurants in the immediate area!
Comfy large rooms, all you need for a leisure stay and easy access to parking. The only downsize we thought was the cost of the WiFi.
Top hotel, in not the perfect of locations but a good central base to commute from.

Room Tip: Higher the better for a good view of Durban.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Bignath

Thank you for your great feedback and we glad you had an awesome time. I am sorry that the downsize was the WIFI, however currently the Hilton properties have a standard of charging for internet. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you to Hilton Durban and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels Worldwide in the bear future,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed in the Hilton for three nights and it was really nice. The hotel is located right next to the convention centre. The beach is not too far away from the hotel, although you shouldn't walk it late at night. The rooms were nice and big and always clean. The internet in the hotel is fast, but not very cheap (170 Rand a day). We had the breakfast included and it was really good. The choice was great, there was a continental breakfast, warm stuff and freshly cooked omelettes. There's also a well equiped gym and an outside pool. Unfortunately the pool is not heated, so it was still very cold in the pool in october. We can very much recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear you had a nice stay with us. I would like to inform you, at present all Hilton properties have a standard of charging for internet, however it has been earmarked and currently under discussion. With regards to the pool due to the warm climate in South Africa, there has not been a need for a heated pool, Thank you once again for your response and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.