As a wedding gift, I booked this hotel for my younger sister for two nights as a mini-honeymoon. I have stayed there previously when on business some years ago, and remembered it fondly as a hotel that,despite its size, provided personalised extras for special occasions (such as an upgrade to the exec floor, a fruit basket in my room, etc) when they were informed by my boss that I was having a birthday during my business stay there.
Sadly, such personal touches are a thing of the past - despite twice stressing that I was booking my sister in for her wedding night and the following night, there was absolutely no acknowledgement of this for the bridal pair. I informed the hotel upon booking and gain upon check in. The room allocated was nice (typical hilton standard, I saw it when i dropped the bride off to dress for her wedding) but the newly weds spent real little time in their room, as there was a luncheon function at the in-laws the following day. Despite this, they had to request (beg?) for a late checkout twice before the request was granted, even though it was obvious that the hotel was nowhere near full capacity, and despite the fact that my sister and her husband had spent a considerable amount on room service and other food at the hotel. Considering I could have booked a beachfront hotel at a similar rate to the 'special' price I paid for my gift to my sister, I must admit to keen disappointment that the Durban Hilton did so little to make this a memorable occasion for a couple that very rarely has an opportunity to experience a deluxe hotel.
I'm afraid I will no longer recommend this hotel to friends and colleagues travelling to Durban on business or holiday, as a similar experience can be had at a lower price at other chain hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Durban is an iconic landmark hotel offering superior accommodations in a supreme location near the Durban International Convention Center. All rooms offer panoramic views of the city or the Natal coastline, with easy access to Durban's beaches and central business district, perfect for meetings or events. Our stylish, comfortable and convenient 327 rooms provide a place to unwind or catch up on work. Spacious Suites feature a separate living room and upgraded amenities. Upgrade to an Executive room for free breakfast and refreshments throughout the day in the exclusive Business Lounge. Book a room or suite on the Hilton website for our best rates. Enjoy a different culinary experience at every meal when you stay at Hilton Durban. Savor a hearty breakfast at the new Vasco's Restaurant and innovative dishes from the chef's table at Big Easy Winebar & Grill Durban by Ernie Els. Relax with a coffee and light meal at the Coral Lounge. Daily 24-hour room service is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Southall Travel, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hilton Durban reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Durban Hotel Durban
- Hilton International Durban