“Best in town”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I normally stay at Umhlanga but as I had business in and around Durbs I thought about trying the Hilton. To be honest I did not have high expectations with it being in town and a conference type hotel.
I was wrong! Really good check in, excellent staff at front desk, good porter.
Rooms were spacious, clean, well equipped and quiet. Web access was good but a bit pricey.
The sleep quality was excellent with good beds, unobtrusive aircon and thick curtains.
Breakfast was excellent with a good choice and fresh ingredients. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the concierge managed to assist with some difficult requests.
Check out was painless and the staff seemed genuinely interested about the quality of the stay.
The pool and gym area were clean and well kept and quite spacious.
Parking is a bit expensive and a bit of a mission to find the way in and out, but it is in the city so that is understandable.
It will be my hotel of choice from now on.

Room Tip: The higher the better view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Durban and for taking the time to send in your review. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is always good to receive feedback and we would like to thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Well located near the Durban beachs. Big rooms with all the amenities needed. Excellent service at reception and concierge. Gym and pool are quite good for a business hotel. One of the things that the hotel has to change is their fridges. They make a terrible noise at night, and to sleep we had to switch it off.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and you received excellent service. This will definitely be passed onto our Front Office Staff.

I will definitely pass on your comments with regards to the fridge to our Chief Engineer whom would deal with the fridges further. Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you soon at Durban Hilton.

Roshini Naidoo'

Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stayed here on our wedding night in September 2010 and the staff really went out of their way to prepare a special romantic atmosphere in our room!

The room was spacious and luxurious and had a good view of Durban.. The next morning for breakfast they presented us with a personalized cake congratulating us on our marriage. Really made us feel special!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Sai6

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad we were able to make your wedding night a memorable stay at our hotel. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Durban Hilton in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Jounrey Ambassador

Reviewed 18 January 2012

What an excellent and spacious Hotel, If you are looking for space and beautiful finishings this is the place to be.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank yoliswat

Dear Yosiswat

Thank you so much for your wonderful words and we look forward to welcoming you back to Durban Hilton.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Hello,
Air conditioning didn't work, strange odor in the room .... And if you want internet, you will have to pay ...
The location is not very nice for a family trip, the beaches and the town were very dirty, perhaps due to the new year celebration (??)
I will not go there anymore.

Thx

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience at our hotel and in the area. The air conditioning at the hotel is fully functional, however we do have our maintenance department on call to assist with any equipment that does not work. The city was quite busy over the festive period.

Thank you once again for your response.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed quite a few times at the Hilton Durban, and must say it's definitely not my best memory.
Amongst all "happenings": my room has been double booked, so one night while I was laying on my bed I received visits straight into my room (of course they had a valid key!) and sorry: but security being an issue in SA...it wasn't reassuring.
Another day I come back to my room and: I was locked outside!!! Not that my key wouldn't work: but somehow the inside lock was put on (of course, again I had he doubt someone might be in my room but apparently not). Last..."detail": there was a small gift at my arrival, which I was very happy about, but seems that it was due to another room, so after 2 nights they simply took it away (while I had been putting it in my bag already).
So well: potentially good Hilton, but the service should seriously be trained...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank d r
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I sincerely apologise that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us.

Please note that the issues with regards to another guest entering your room and your welcome amenity being removed from your room will be addressed with the respective head of departments as this is certainly not our standard. We hope to see you in the near future so you can experience a true Hilton Experience.

Thank you once again for your response.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Overall a comfortable stay in Durban. Safe, secure and the food fairly good, although typical hotel fare. It is also quite central although not located on the beach. Given experiences with other hotels in Durban, I would say that this is probably your best bet and is worth paying extra for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback. The hotel is in a safe and secure location. It is conveniently located next to the ICC, with The City Hall and Beaches close by. Our restaurant serves as an international cruise, with local cruises always being present on the buffet.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.