I was here for a conference, which is right next door. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.
The rooms are large, the furnishings are modern and in good condition.
The food was better than expected. A much better than standard breakfast buffet and better than usual room service. I was actually looking forward to my meal every night. The menu changed when I was here and there were even more great options available. The prices are also very reasonable for a major chain hotel.
It was a nice mix of international standard fare (which I think is boring) and local dishes (which I ate almost every night). Which is nice to see in a chain hotel since I was only expecting the usual pasta, club sandwich, steak options.
Room service staff were friendly, quick and ready to offer suggestions which I also appreciate.
The bed was comfortable and has a nice duvet.
The one bad thing about the Durban Hilton is the Internet. It is VERY expensive. Almost as much as the steak from room service for just 24 hours of access. There is not even the option of free wifi in the lobby. It's also not very fast, but not terrible.
I did complain and they said it was not their decision, but head office's. But I hate paying for internet when staying at hotels (just include it in the price of the room!).
Other downsides, it's not on the beach, which didn't matter to me as I was here for work.
I saw some other reviews which mentioned the area isn't safe.... that's just South Africa! Sorry North Americans from suburban Denver, you can't walk around here at night. Take a taxi and you're fine.
Overall a great experience and I would happily stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Durban is an iconic landmark hotel offering superior accommodations in a supreme location near the Durban International Convention Center. All rooms offer panoramic views of the city or the Natal coastline, with easy access to Durban's beaches and central business district, perfect for meetings or events. Our stylish, comfortable and convenient 327 rooms provide a place to unwind or catch up on work. Spacious Suites feature a separate living room and upgraded amenities. Upgrade to an Executive room for free breakfast and refreshments throughout the day in the exclusive Business Lounge. Book a room or suite on the Hilton website for our best rates. Enjoy a different culinary experience at every meal when you stay at Hilton Durban. Savor a hearty breakfast at the new Vasco's Restaurant and innovative dishes from the chef's table at Big Easy Winebar & Grill Durban by Ernie Els. Relax with a coffee and light meal at the Coral Lounge. Daily 24-hour room service is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Durban reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Durban Hotel Durban
- Hilton International Durban