“Great stay, great food, great staff.”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I was here for a conference, which is right next door. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.

The rooms are large, the furnishings are modern and in good condition.

The food was better than expected. A much better than standard breakfast buffet and better than usual room service. I was actually looking forward to my meal every night. The menu changed when I was here and there were even more great options available. The prices are also very reasonable for a major chain hotel.

It was a nice mix of international standard fare (which I think is boring) and local dishes (which I ate almost every night). Which is nice to see in a chain hotel since I was only expecting the usual pasta, club sandwich, steak options.

Room service staff were friendly, quick and ready to offer suggestions which I also appreciate.

The bed was comfortable and has a nice duvet.

The one bad thing about the Durban Hilton is the Internet. It is VERY expensive. Almost as much as the steak from room service for just 24 hours of access. There is not even the option of free wifi in the lobby. It's also not very fast, but not terrible.

I did complain and they said it was not their decision, but head office's. But I hate paying for internet when staying at hotels (just include it in the price of the room!).

Other downsides, it's not on the beach, which didn't matter to me as I was here for work.

I saw some other reviews which mentioned the area isn't safe.... that's just South Africa! Sorry North Americans from suburban Denver, you can't walk around here at night. Take a taxi and you're fine.

Overall a great experience and I would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors, sea-side view if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

JMfromTO, Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

Your observations of the menu change and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations. It was particularly pleasing to see that your impression of our staff and service was good and you enjoyed the new menu.

I have passed on your comments of the internet to our IT Manager and Operations Manager who will look into the comments further, as feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service, and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements.

Once again thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you to Hilton Durban soon.

Journey Ambassador

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The Hilton was the official hotel for my conference going on next door in the convention centre. It was a comfortable hotel with good service, friendly staff and a very good room, but the neighbourhood did not feel safe. I walked the 10 - 15 minutes to the beach at noon one day - the stretch of beach is amazing and the water warm - but I was hesitant to venture outside of the hotel unescorted at night. Staff recommended an excellent seaside restaurant one evening and arranged for a cab, They also recommended a trip to the aquarium which was more like a theme park, but a lot of fun.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Mikeymaki, thank you for your review. I am glad you found the hotel comfortable with good service, and a good room with friendly service from our staff.

There are beautiful stretches of our golden mile which I am glad you enjoyed during your stay in Durban. The next time you stay at Hilton Durban, please do ask for me at check in so I can ensure all your preference are met.

Thank you once again for your comments, and looking forward to welcoming you to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Have stayed here 3 times all with Executive Floor privileges which was great value for money!

The rooms on the Executive Floors are very spacious although the bathrooms run small and they are not very generous with the toilet amenities. All rooms have refrigerators and coffee machines.

Laundry & Dry Cleaning service very prompt and most times came back before we expected!

Because we were on an Executive Floor we enjoyed private check-in, complimentary breakfast, lunch snacks and dinner snacks daily as well as unlimited soft drinks throughout the day - a very generous Hilton Executive Lounge. The Executive Floor staff were very helpful, efficient and friendly and they make a really great cappacino!!

One morning we opted for breakfast at the Rainbow Terrace and the buffet was outstanding! We sat near the window overlooking the pool area which was lovely although a little small but then this is a business hotel not a vacation resort. We would have liked to sit outside but the wind was unbelievable!!

Met friends at the Lobby Lounge Coffee Bar for coffee and cake and the waitress was exceptionally polite and friendly and the Bar One Cake (a chocolate cake) was amazing.

A few stores offering clothing, South African curios and jewelry on the lobby level which are in our opinion way over priced!

The only downside of the hotel is its location because you need a car to get around and the public transport system is not the best!!

Room Tip: Request room on floor higher than 10th and with seafacing view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Harv and Les C

Harv and Les C, thank you for taking the time to post a comment of Tripadvisor, it is great to hear that you have been to Hilton Durban previously and you have stayed at the Executive Lounge which you feel is great value for money.

The Executive Lounge with its amazing views of the City and The Indian Ocean does also have excellent benefits of a private check-in, afternoon tea and its snack and alcoholic beverages in the evenings.

It is already nice to receive good feedback on the friendliness and efficiency of the staff and the service, and I will surely pass on your comments to the team.

Thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I organized a workshop at the hotel and the meeting room was perfect and had an outside terrace which we used for coffee breaks etc. I was also attending an exhibition/conference at the conference facilities next door (ICC). I stayed for almost a week and service was below average compared to other Hilton hotels, especially in regards to the front office staff and handling of Internet charges. Free Wif-Fi is not available at all, not even in the public areas, so be prepared to pay for it. Location for leisure travelers not recommendable as it is about 10-15 min. walking distance to the seaside locations.

Room Tip: high floors and seaside
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Luzis01, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that our front desk staff , and the handling of internet charges did not meet your expectations. I will definitely pass on your comments to our Front Office Manager for further perusal, as we pride ourselves on service excellence.

The next time you plan on visiting Hilton Durban, please do let me know of any requirements you may have, so I can ensure your expectations are met.

Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

Luxurious, stylish, comfortable. Attended a workshop in the hotel conference facilities that was some of the best venues visited. Stayed over for a couple of days before and after and will highly recommend. Hotel facilities great and service excellent. Immediately became a Hilton Honors Club Member. The only negative point is the location and view. Marine Parade off much better located hotels with breathtaking views. If you stop over for business it is recommended, if you stop over as a tourist or holiday maker consider a better location.

• Stayed: October 2012

Jdip76, thank you for your constructive feedback. It is always nice to receive positive feedback about our service, our hotel and you becoming a valued Hilton Honors member.

Hilton Durban is centrally located with City views, and views of the Indian Ocean. It’s a 15 minute walk to the beach.

Thank you once again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Initially having checked into an inferior hotel in Durban, we quickly phoned around and contacted the Hilton Hotel. A deal was struck and we moved the same day to the Hilton (myself and 2 colleagues).

The reception was friendly / efficient and we were in our rooms within 10 minutes of arriving at the hotel. The Rooms are large, nicely decorated and well equipped. There was a large room safe in the wardrobe which had enough room for laptops and SLR cameras, one of the largest safes I've come across which was excellent. Tea & Coffee facilities in the room, there was a fridge but it was empty although a quick call to reception will get it filled. We had 3 rooms and all of us were very happy with them (clean / all working etc). The rooms also have an iron board / steam iron / hair dryer and great TV service. Our rooms were all twin beds but very comfy and all clean. The bathroom had a bath and seperate shower (with mobile shower head, not fixed to wall) which was great and all the normal bits and pieces provided.

We used the Hotel business service as a local durban printer had messed up an order, the hotel managed to reprint everything we wanted in just over an hour at a rate better than the local printer. The staff in the business centre were excellent and a great relief as we had a presentation the next day.

Other services I used included the laundry which was very quick, returns in between 3-5 hours (although best check with the reception as that might have been lucky). I also had breakfast to the room one morning, again excellent service and I paid 18 RAND for the room delivery on top of our bed and breakfast deal with the hotel.

The hotel bar and restaurants are very good, great staff and excellent service. We generally used Rivetts as a starting or finishing bar and always enjoyed it. Beware though that Saturday night is Indian Bhangra night and Rivets was crowded with the locals enjoying the dance floor but it was good fun whilst we popped in.

The Hotel is not on the sea front although you can see the sea, most places in Durban require use of a car / taxi so we didn't feel disadvantaged. In fact we found we received excellent service from a couple of local Taxi drivers (Adrian from Shishas Taxis number 0786041613 was the best priced and he was a good font of knowledge) but also Nishal one of his colleagues was also very efficient if not more $$. The Hilton is right next to the Convention Centre so ideal if you are there.

Florida Road is a good place to go for food, likewise UShanka Marine World (Cargo Hold Restaurant).

From feedback with other contacts in Durban, the Hilton is known as the best hotel. See if you can get a deal.

Room Tip: All rooms seem great, i imagine higher rooms are better purely to get away from noise from the road...
2  Thank OneWayorReturnPlease
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

EvoqueUk, thank you for your awesome comments on Tripadvisor, and I want to personally thank you.

I am glad to hear that you chose Hilton Durban as your preferred hotel. You observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

It is pleasing to see that your impression of our staff and service was good and that you felt well taken care of during your stay.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements.

Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban . Thank you for staying with us at Hilton Durban,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I couild swear there is new mean cost-saving managemrnt as I sit on my bed writing this note I have observed these changes since I was last at this ex-awesome hotel:
1. No Mini-bar aymore: the guy who came to stock up told me at length the theft that made management make this decision - fine---common in SA

2. No gowns & slippers in the wardrobe anymore- I did not bother to ask why but housekeeping came(2x mind you with the last knock at now at 21h15)

3. Room Service,which I always look forward to the efficiency thereof,"miscommunicated" and my order was never placed - this after I call to find out after an hour of starvation. Profuse apologies tendered and meal deivered on the house but this is not much of a point for me

4. The phone rings forever now- there must be one switchboard/room service person dealing with all of us

I check-out tomorrow morning hoping there won't be anymore glitches.
I am going back to the other the other Durban hotels I had moved to before deciding to come visit here again.
The Hilton Durban - do pull up your socks for your own survival - this si an international brand for goodness's sake.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Rato, thank you for your comments on this website. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear ton this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and please do ask for me at check in, so I can ensure all your requests are met.

Kind Regards