“A little disappointing actually”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Auckland
“A little disappointing actually”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed 2 nights on business and considering the rate we paid and that this was a Hilton I was quite disappointed with my stay here. Everything, the rooms, the food and the service were just OK. Actually I thought the whole hotel was rather soulless. The only thing I would really say was up to expectations was the service of the doorman. Next time I’m in Durban I’ll be trying out another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
China_Frequently, Thank you for your constructive feedback.
I am sorry that we did not meet all your expectations. When you back in Durban, let me know so I can ensure I can assist with all your travel requirements.

Thank you once again.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We were driving a car so wasn't a problem to locate the Hilton Durban but otherwise the location was not great. Loads of beach acreage and they've thrown the Hilton up the back on an expo centre. Anyway that was probably my main issue. Staff lovely, rooms fantastic and exec lounge great. Neither the rooms or lounge massive but I didn't find that this was an issue. Had a great stay here.

• Stayed April 2012
Ramenmuncher, Thank you for your comments on this website. Great to hear that you found the staff and the rooms fantastic.

Thank you once again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

This is a random location for a Hilton, I thought. Service was incredible. You are in the center of town, and unless you are from SA, you will not feel safe leaving the hotel.

The pool faces the dining room, which was disappointing since I would have loved to spend some time there. Water's green also.

Gym is top-notch. Only complaint is that when ther are personal trainers there, they take up 3-4 pieces of equipment while sitting around talking and eating very pungent foods.

Breakfast is delicious, with friendly and gracious staff.

Internet is ridiculously expensive.

Room service is pretty good.

I rec you book a guesthouse with armed security south of Durban for the best experience.

• Stayed February 2013
Josh R, thank you for your constructive feedback. I am glad to hear that you found the service incredible. Please note I have addressed your concerns with the Fitness Manager and Maintenance Manager. I thank you once again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Regards

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed there between 24th and 27th of Feb, 2013. It was a decent 5 star property. Very close to Durban International Convention Center (ICC).

What was good in the room:

1) Tea-Coffee equipment (Although I haven't used, since there was no bottle water in the room and I didn't want to use the tap water)
2) Big size safe box (You can fit your big cameras and other things in it)
3) Iron-ironing board (If you like to press your clothes yourself instead of paying a lot for the laundry)
4) Cleanliness

What was missing in the room:

1) No slippers
2) There was only shampoo, hair conditioner and a piece of soap in the bathroom, no toothpaste and other amenities.

Some more tips:

1) I couldn't exchange money at the front desk for two days. First day, it was evening time and the lady at the desk told me that they didn't have enough cash (interestingly). The next day, they sent me to the jeweller at the lobby, but the lady there couldn't help me either since her boss was not there :) But don't worry, there is an exchange office inside the convention center. Just do not forget to take your passport along with you, otherwise they won't exchange your money.

2) During check-in, they ask you whether you will have any extras in the room or not. If your answer is "no", you find your minibar in the room locked. Was it me they didn't trust or....?!!!

3) If you are planning to take a lady friend to your room at midnight, you may have a dissappointment - not that I tried, but I saw someone trying :) After like 10 or 11pm, they put a guy next to elevators and the guy asks for your room key, then check the name on a list. When they understand that the lady is not staying with you, they don't let her go upstairs.

I hope it is helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Ozgurayturk, thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Any feedback from our guests are extremely valuable, as we are constantly striving to better our service.

Thank you once again and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

General Hamza
Johanesburg
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The rooms were furnished with lovely furniture and everything is just of a high standard and VERY clean. Good staff too!The breakfast buffet is amazing and service is really good. The bathroom is also fantastic and clean. will definitely stay there again

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Samesu2013, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

It’s always great receiving positive reviews about the hotel facilities and the service. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Kind regards

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I like this hotel and would stay here again. Was bumped up to an executive suite with access to the executive lounge and that was cool they have treats in there and free drinks. The breakfast buffet is amazing and service is really good. The location right next to the ICC is great and parking is free and easy.

Room Tip: choose seafacing for obvious reasons.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Siamac m
We are so happy to hear that your recent stay with us was good and that you had the chance to experience our Executive Lounge. Will surely pass your kind comments over to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager regarding the service and breakfast buffet. Yes, our location next door to the ICC is a great choice if you are coming to Durban for a conference, concert or expo. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.
Moe
London
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Really don't understand the good reviews on the site. There was only one good thing about my stay here and that was the food (the Durban breakfast in particular)- everything else was ppor when you consider this is a Hilton and relatively expensive by south african standards. Room decor was dated. Shabby furniture- very old curtains with holes in them, chipped toilet seats, dirty bed skirting. Whole place just looked cheap and tacky. Gym was decent for a hotel but pool is small and you can't do laps in it. Service was poor- you have to keep repeating room service orders, concierge really wasn't helpful in terms of finding dinner places or suggestions - its like staff are doing you a favour by agreeing to talk to you, and go out of their way to make you sound stupid. No bottled water in the room etc. Its a long list of things to be fixed. I suppose the refurb will help- but that won't help with staff attitude. I have stayed in many fine hotels in South Africa with really helpful people so I don't think its a cultural thing or bias. Generally don't stay in Hiltons, but even then- would say this place is brand-erosive.

1 Thank scalpel73
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Scalpel 73, thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this stay. Please note all your comments have been noted and will be addressed to improve the services and products we offer at our hotel. I have passed on your comment s to the departments involved. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast at our hotel. Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind regards